Can you use 3ds Max on daz studio renders?

ToobisToobis Posts: 932
edited December 1969 in The Commons

If you created a render with daz studio only could you import into 3ds max for their awesome realism effect? anyone have any experience with this? thx

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Toobis said:
    If you created a render with daz studio only could you import into 3ds max for their awesome realism effect? anyone have any experience with this? thx

A render is an image file ... you can do anything with it one can normally do with an image file.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

Photoshop or paint shop pro or gimp would be better for Renders as renders are just image files.

• ToobisToobis Posts: 932
    edited December 1969

well how would it work to be edited with 3ds max? would you need to render it first or?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

The scene needs to be exported in a format that Max can read. I am not familiar with Max so I am not sure what that would be.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited December 1969

well most static scenes work best exported as wavefront. obj into other 3D programs then rendered there.
    you always need to redo the materials as each program is different.
    animation is a different story.
    I do not know about MAX (a tad out of my price range) but. FBX and (collada) .dae the most common export formats for that.
    Animate2's lightwave .mdd also works in some programs.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3DS max is not an image editor, you wont be able to do anything with a render from studio in it. 3DS max is a pricy high end CG app. An app that can lay studio to waste. carrara is close to it; a lot closer then studio, but basically they all do the same thing, render a scene you built with model meshes; and animate them.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited June 2012

Toobis said:
    well how would it work to be edited with 3ds max? would you need to render it first or?

It might be confusing, because render and rendering are different things.

Goes like this:

1) Set up a scene.

2) Rendering is where the software looks at the models, textures and lights, and creates an image.

Your software "renders" the scene. (In other words: it does the "rendering").

3). When the software finishes the "rendering", it produces an image. That image is called a "render".

So the way to ask would have been "Can Daz export a scene, so that it can be rendered in 3DSMax?".

Once a person figures this stuff out, they kinda forget how confusing it all is, at first.

(That's what makes it so hard for anyone to explain everything, for manuals and stuff).

Post edited by T Jaiman on
  • bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,028
    edited December 1969

I do all my renders in Max. Max has a number of different "Render engines" - my preferred one is Mental Ray which can produce production quality renders. There's a huge learning curve in learning Max, but good news is there's lots of resources out there. I like DigitalTutors.com best of all.

First off you have to export the models in FBX file format to be reimported into Max. You can export animation and morphs as well via FBX but it can be a little tricky. - Your best bet is to do it an object at a time.

Then in Max you'll need to convert the standard materials to mental ray materials - I have a script if anyone's interested in doing that.

As for skin you have to tackle mental ray fast skin subsurfance scattering materials.

After the objects are imported into Max and the materials converted to mental ray, then you can let mental ray do it's 'realistic' magic.

Hope that helps.

• nevarrannevarran Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

bohemian3 said:
    First off you have to export the models in FBX file format to be reimported into Max. You can export animation and morphs as well via FBX but it can be a little tricky. - Your best bet is to do it an object at a time.

I had some issues with the textures when exporting as an .obj, but with .fbx works good. Thanks.
    Poses seems to work fine as well.
    Can export the morphs tho. I just tried with a simple M4, dialed a morph of two to make him a little heavier. But when I import in 3ds it's just the default shape. Do I need to do something after importing? Dialing the morphs or something?

p.s. I've managed to achieve some measure of success by adding the morph's name in the "Edit Morph Export Rules" menu in the "FBX Option" window (right after choosing name and type of the exported file) with action "Export". And then inside 3ds Max, I have to dial them from the "Modify" tab under the property "Morpher". With the same values as in Studio. Is that how it's done? Would love to know if there is simple way. Because if I have a custom character with a bunch of morphs, rewriting them all in 3ds Max would be quite some work.

edited December 1969

Neverann...

I'm still trying to 'perfect' exporting the morphs. Here's what I learned so far.

Morphs are tied to keyframes - so you have to be really careful where you set the morphs. This effects how they export. What I've come to do is set a keyframe in DAZ at 1, then set another keyframe at 2 and dial up the morphs. Also - apply all morphs BEFORE you add clothes... otherwise the clothes will transfer via FBX strangely as well.

Standard morphs seem to work fine. I'm still having a devil's time getting GenX morphs to come over wtihout doing something funky to the figure or messing up the eyes.

Hope that helps... again, I'm struggling on this as well.

• rickylbodkinrickylbodkin Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

I need to get my vehicles from .3ds to either daz formate or poser format, to use in DAZ 4.5 for an animation.

Is there a good way to transfer .3ds files for DAZ

Post edited by rickylbodkin on
    edited December 1969

Hiya Ricky....

I usually go the other direction as you read...
    But,

I just did a simple animation in 3ds Max, Exported it using the FBX format, then imported it into DAZ 4.5 (which supposedly allows round trip FBX support)....

It was only a simple animation but it came through fine using FBX. I will experiment more this weekend with more challenging animations.

Hope that helps

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I need to get my vehicles from .3ds to either daz formate or poser format, to use in DAZ 4.5 for an animation.

Is there a good way to transfer .3ds files for DAZ

3D Model Conversion:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i

PP2 Exporter for DS: (mentioned in the tut above)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3m5gbz5f8bjjgjm

Dealing with Zipped Poser Content: (Incase you want to make them a permanent resident in your runtime)
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?oqcf29kmigzd3gk

edited December 1969

I finally loaded 4.5 which offers better FBX support -

I successfully loaded in a simple FBX scene from Max that imported all the animation and morphs as well ! - but it was a simple scene. This weekend I'm going to try round-tripping.