Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    My friend Joemama wroteth

Ever notice how sometimes when guys want to sound smart they start using real big words? It’s true, that happens a lot here. Gone are the “dude, that’s flippin’ AWESOME”, and instead it’s “spatial” and “monocular” and stuff.

Nothing wrong with that, just makes me chuckle.

Carry on.

Ha ha Joe, you crack me up. I wasnt really aware I was using big words but you are right - "monocular" does have nine letters.

Mind you, in a lot of places, a nine letter word wouldn't be considered a "real big word".

Each to their own I suppose.

It's not the length of the word, it's the syllables! ;-)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Evil saideth :

Dryjack’s awesome fantasy houses

Thanks for the heads upon these. I like how a few bits are bent. Nice to see roofs that are a bit like me...
    I'm interested to see your final renders on that scene.

Edit: instead of dof sometimes atmopsheric haze can give a good suggestion of depth - via eg dropping a cloud into the scene

Glad I could point them out. They have an interior room or two. Furniture not included. ;-)

I was holding off on atmosphere to speed the renders. I need to refine the light rig/dome for trees and volumetrics. They seem to take too long to render for my taste.

Thanks evil. I'll hunt them down. I've been using some Medieval house figures - dissaciating the objects then using the Carrara modifiers to bend them around.

For the lighting did you try that one I described recently = the fake GI? Itr renders very fast, relatively speaking (the one with four sky diatnt lights and four ground reflector lights and one dominant distant skylight to mimic the sun)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    head wax said:
    Evil saideth :

Dryjack’s awesome fantasy houses

Thanks for the heads upon these. I like how a few bits are bent. Nice to see roofs that are a bit like me...
    I'm interested to see your final renders on that scene.

Edit: instead of dof sometimes atmopsheric haze can give a good suggestion of depth - via eg dropping a cloud into the scene

Glad I could point them out. They have an interior room or two. Furniture not included. ;-)

I was holding off on atmosphere to speed the renders. I need to refine the light rig/dome for trees and volumetrics. They seem to take too long to render for my taste.

Thanks evil. I'll hunt them down. I've been using some Medieval house figures - dissaciating the objects then using the Carrara modifiers to bend them around.

For the lighting did you try that one I described recently = the fake GI? Itr renders very fast, relatively speaking (the one with four sky diatnt lights and four ground reflector lights and one dominant distant skylight to mimic the sun)

Forgot about that one. I do remember you posting about it now that you mention it. I'll have to remember to try it. How well does it work for shadows? Do you get any unwanted shadow artifacts with that low number of lights?

I used maybe 15 or 16 distant lights for the sky and one main distant light for the sun with soft shadows, set to exclude the grass and some trees which I hid. The reflected light in the shadows and reflected light from the ground are strategically placed spotlights.

edited December 1969

Here's the link to his ShareCG gallery. All the documentation says DryJack, but it looks like the account is JanglingJack.

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=JanglingJack

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited February 2013

well I saw a youtube tut on it but didn't watch it all as I fell asleep

but the guist was

for the skylights use 4 distant lights - you have them pointing down at 45 degrees for the four points of the compass ,
    you make them eg 40 perecnt brightness with say 3o percent shadows - make them a bluish colour

This is from memory so you will probably have to change the numbers to suit.

Group those lights, duplicatre them and flip the duplicate so they are pointing up.
    Select all the lights in this new group. Turn off shadows and change the luminace to a lower number and make the colour a browny green (depening on the colour of your ground as these are the ground lights).

Do a test render then add a new distant light for the sky with 100 percent shadows and a colour of your choice.- this will be the sun.

This method works quite well, the resuklting shadows aren't bad at all and are quite soft (except for the main sunlight one)

, and if you select the lights en mass you can change tjhe parameters (sorry about the big word :) ) quite quickly to experiment with different effects.

edit: thanks for the link to dryjack!

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I'll give it a test to see how it works.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

And to show I can produce renders that will even pass the discerning scrutiny of the experts in this forum, I am (hesitatingly) posted this image that I'm sure will be a 10 on your scale of awesomeness.

Note I used Carrara for the flames coming out of the dragon's mouth, cranked up the ambient to give that ultra realistic photo look, and included a super awesome Angelina lookalike.

BTW, if you can believe it, I used NO POSTWORK in this image. None at all.

If I get the time I'll post a detailed tutorial on how I did it.

Why are the shadows hard edged?

And what's up with that road that it looks like sausage gravy with no definition of what it is?

• edited February 2013

And what's up with that road that it looks like sausage gravy with no definition of what it is?

He's just yanking our chains... I hope, lol :gulp:

Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Well, the sausage gravy thing you'll have to discuss with the guy who made the content...I just dragged and dropped it.

And the hard edged shadows...well I turned on all of the GI settings for ultimate realism, and honestly after about 128 hours of continuous rendering I had to stop it. Maybe that's why they look hard to you.

But thanks for the comments, I sure appreciate it.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:

He's just yanking our chains... I hope, lol :gulp:

You mean his presentation was a joke?

I agree. :)

edited December 1969

You mean his presentation was a joke?

I agree. :)

No really, that's fine. I can take some hard hitting, honest criticism, especially if it's from experts in the field like you guys. No harm done, and I really do appreciate that you took time to give your input.

edited December 1969

And Mr. Design, your comment on the sausage gravy was really a good one, and right on point.

In fact I was shooting for more of a spaghetti and meatballs road, but, like I say, the included texture just didn't match. Good point though.

edited December 1969

Following this discussion has inspired me to view life with a new perspective. ;-)

New_perspective.png
    800 x 600 - 57K
    edited December 1969

Following this discussion has inspired me to view life with a new perspective. ;-)

New?

edited December 1969

New?

New to me.

edited December 1969

New?

New to me.

Ahh...okay...congratulations, I suppose.

So from now on you're going to have your....

Well, never mind... :)

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    My friend Joemama wroteth

Ever notice how sometimes when guys want to sound smart they start using real big words? It’s true, that happens a lot here. Gone are the “dude, that’s flippin’ AWESOME”, and instead it’s “spatial” and “monocular” and stuff.

Nothing wrong with that, just makes me chuckle.

Carry on.

Ha ha Joe, you crack me up. I wasnt really aware I was using big words but you are right - "monocular" does have nine letters.

Mind you, in a lot of places, a nine letter word wouldn't be considered a "real big word".

Each to their own I suppose.

It's not the length of the word, it's the syllables! ;-)

Poly-Syllabic Multifacited Vocabluaries have no place on the Interwebs..

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Multifacited Vocabluaries ..

Neither does terrible spelling.... :)

Just kidding....

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Multifacited Vocabluaries ..

Neither does terrible spelling.... :)

Just kidding....

ha ha, right terri-bad spelling and typos have no place on the internet.

• edited February 2013

Well... it's going to be a long time before Mulberry forgives me for this one...

...but I did a render for some of my "Brony" friends on another forum... and it's a weird one, lol.

If you don't know what a Brony is... count your blessings :-)

I decided to throw in a black and white version as well, I just liked the look of it.

MluberryDashForumVersionBlackandWhite.png
    637 x 960 - 312K
    MluberryDashForumVersion.png
    637 x 960 - 714K
    Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited February 2013

Koukotsu said:
    Well... it's going to be a long time before Mulberry forgives me for this one...

...but I did a render for some of my "Brony" friends on another forum... and it's a weird one, lol.

Thank-you for bringing this thread back on target. (EP: I do like your pic though; an excellent case study)

Koukotsu; you realize that I am going to have to look-up "Brony" now...be right back...

Urban Dictionary

Oh. Okay...your picture makes more sense now. I'm sure that Mulberry is the forgiving type! :)

Post edited by Garstor on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209
    edited February 2013

Koukotsu,
    Yup. I like the look of it too. And the blue one... and now I must shower. No... no... don't get dressed, Mulberry, I'll just clean this up and be right back. You just... well... stay.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited February 2013

Okay... one more look before I... oh... yup. I did the right thing.
    Okay, she may be blue, which is often used to portray cool... She's damn Hot! Ouch! Great Photo, Koukotsu!
    What a refreshing change from the battle of sarcastic gorge!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

and now I must shower. No... no... don't get dressed, Mulberry, I'll just clean this up and be right back. You just... well... stay.

Brony!

:lol:

edited December 1969

Me? nah...
    I do like the way Mulberry looks in a bikini, though! %-P

edited February 2013

But what does a blue A3 have to do with a village in Poland? I suppose it does get cold there.... ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

But what does a blue A3 have to do with a village in Poland? I suppose it does get cold there.... ;-)
    I don't think Sir Gars Man was referring to Mulberry Blue. I think he was implying that I am one of that eighty person population. I would consider that a compliment - but instead, I parried out of haste. My loss. I've become friends with the butchers at the Polish deli, and their wives in the bakery in the next room of the shop. Very cool people - those polish food pushers!
    No really, they're Pushers! How else can you explain this:
    Walk into the place. Suddenly the idea of sausages and meats that hang from a high ceiling nearly touching the floor is no longer thought to be fiction, and the smell of freshly spiced and smoked ground meat fills the room, blended with the unmistakable aroma of bread, baked to perfection - and still hot. The most friendly looking big manly kind of fellow, glistening all over proving him guilty of working his arse off, turns and smiles at you: "Would you like me to build you a sandwich?" he says in a remarkably "awesome" (just for you Joe) accent, as he gestures towards the steaming array of freshly sliced bread and a seemingly infinite selection of meats that have just been pulled from the slicing tray. "Three fifty and I'll make you anything you want - Kaiser roll or whole wheat?"

Pushers!!! How could an over-worked, vein-pulsing stone worker say no to that?!!! Oh but he's not done yet. He tosses an enormous pickle and a pile of chips on the plate and his wife comes scurrying in with a still hot, freshly baked chocolate chip cookie and wheels it onto the plate as he's handing it to you - big smiles the entire time. I give them a ten spot: "the change is for your children" I say with a smile as I'm still walking out with an incredible deal!

edited February 2013

Okay. Getting a little annoyed with the fact that this forum keeps "forgetting" that I'm already logged in!
    kidding of course. It really isn't a big deal!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited December 1969

friendship is magic

Doc2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited February 2013

my candy shader so far https://www.box.com/s/5knz0n3x7ns32krex69j
    still figuring out how to mix more colours in stripes
    each Mixer only lets you do two so maybe multiple mixer layers?

Doc4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 468K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
This discussion has been closed.