Having trouble getting past the Elvish Storm Tutorial

I'm a brand new user to Daz3d and have never done anything like this before. I am trying to complete the Elvish Storm interactive tutorial but I can't seem to get the scene to render. It has been rendering in iRay for 18 minutes and counting and is still at zero percent. I do have an image in the other window though. At the time of writing this 22 minutes has elapsed and now its at 4%. Is it normal for it to render this slow? Will it take hours to render every scene? I just bought a brand new computer (my ten year old laptop couldnt handle the program) so I could pursue this hobby, and with 16 gig ram and a 1 terabyte hardrive I had hoped this one would be able to crank out renders so I can practice and see the fruits of my labor.

I have a lot to learn and if anybody can help me that would be amazing.

1.PNG
717 x 578 - 82K
Capture.PNG
1630 x 952 - 2M
Capture2.PNG
1666 x 953 - 292K

Comments

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

What kind and model video card do you have? (Click the "advanced" tab in the render pane, tou should see it just below the CPU checkbox.) Or could you post a link to the store page of computer you bought so someone can look at the specs? There are so many things that could cause a slow render.

• That looks about right, assuming you don't have a a high end NVIDIA card.

I have a high end computer, and it has a very good ATI card which has been excelent for games.  However, the iRay 'speedup' only works on NVIDIA cards.  So the main processor is doing all the work.

I am also a starter at this, and I find that the default 2 hour timer gets me to just under 95% converged.  And that is with the size of the final render reduced from the one it picked automatically.

• harrybroomhallharrybroomhall Posts: 31
    edited December 2017

There doesn't seem to be a delete option.  There is so little indication that a comment was accepted I reposted.  :-(

So I 'edited' this to remove the double post.

Mods can feel free to delete this.

Post edited by harrybroomhall on
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

As said above, CPU and GPU are important.

And as a small help to speed up rendertime, there is the option to reduce the resolution of the render. 800x640 pixel doesn't look that good, but renders way faster than 4000x3200 pixel.