Translucency in Iray

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

A long time ago I bought this product https://www.daz3d.com/snapping-asian-interior-construction-kit and one of my buying motives was that I like the translucency shaders. After messing with it for awhile and not getting any results I consulted the Oracle that is the Newbie Board and was informed that those shaders don't work in IRay which is my preferred render engine. My question is, couldn't this effect be achived simply by adjusting the trans weight and putting a light behind the screen? I would try it but I'm at work and a lot of times asking a question here gets you an answer plus a few more tips or tidbits of useful info.

So thanks in advance!

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    DDCreate said:

A long time ago I bought this product https://www.daz3d.com/snapping-asian-interior-construction-kit and one of my buying motives was that I like the translucency shaders. After messing with it for awhile and not getting any results I consulted the Oracle that is the Newbie Board and was informed that those shaders don't work in IRay which is my preferred render engine. My question is, couldn't this effect be achived simply by adjusting the trans weight and putting a light behind the screen? I would try it but I'm at work and a lot of times asking a question here gets you an answer plus a few more tips or tidbits of useful info.

So thanks in advance!

Basically yes that should work - the Iray Uber shader has a translucency slot.

• As @scorpio says, it should work. I haven't used that set in Iray myself yet. It's a beautiful set and I think it would probably look amazing in Iray. You might have to play with the settings because I don't think the translucency between the two systems is the same but they both do use translucency so it should be fairly easy to get something that looks good in Iray.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

DS converts other materials to Iray when you render, but certain effects (translucency, emissive, refraction, etc.) don't translate well. Your best bet is to to convert all the materials in the scene so Iray doesn't have to do it each time you render. Then you just have to set up translucency by hand.

It definitely works. I use translucency for lamp shades all the time.