Question about polygons/triangles

SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
edited December 1969 in New Users

How many is too many?
I'm using DS4.0 on an old computer with just 2gig ram, so it's pretty slow and struggles. I recently saw a model and it's description included the number of polygons and triangles.
Roughly how many would be too much for my poor machine to handle?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

That question is almost impossible to answer, because it would depned on many other factors as well.

You may be able to build quite a large scene, but when you go to render it, you may run out of memory becuase of the number of lights and shaders you are using, plus the number of transparency maps as well. What are you having problems with, is it rendering?

If so, you could try hiding some of the scene items, rendering each one seperately, and compositing them in Photoshop or similar. The Gen 4 models are all around 70,000 polys, and Genesis is onlly about 19,000 in its base state before sub-division. For gaming, models are usually well under that, around 7,000 fully clothed.

If you look in Window > Tabs > Scene Info, that will give you an idea of how many polys are in each item. What items in particular were you looking at that are very large? When you have your scene set up the way you want, you can always hide any surfaces which are not in the camera view, and that would help. The only real cure is more RAM, and a 64 bit system.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

That question is almost impossible to answer, because it would depned on many other factors as well.

You may be able to build quite a large scene, but when you go to render it, you may run out of memory becuase of the number of lights and shaders you are using, plus the number of transparency maps as well. What are you having problems with, is it rendering?

If so, you could try hiding some of the scene items, rendering each one seperately, and compositing them in Photoshop or similar. The Gen 4 models are all around 70,000 polys, and Genesis is onlly about 19,000 in its base state before sub-division. For gaming, models are usually well under that, around 7,000 fully clothed.

If you look in Window > Tabs > Scene Info, that will give you an idea of how many polys are in each item. What items in particular were you looking at that are very large? When you have your scene set up the way you want, you can always hide any surfaces which are not in the camera view, and that would help. The only real cure is more RAM, and a 64 bit system.

It was more of a general question rather than an actual scene. The Tabs>scene info you mentioned might come in handy though, I've never used that before. And you're right about putting things in scenes that aren't going to show, I have a habit of doing that. For example putting boots on a character then in the render you only see the person from the waist up. I should probably do pose and final camera angle THEN add clothes and props.
    Thanks for the info, Jimmy.