Best Practice for Exporting Carrara Files to Poser? Poser 2014 equals the Death of Carrara?

124»

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Poser being the death of Carrara? They aren't even the same type of software. :)

There were some things that delayed Carrara 8.5, from when we wanted to release it and when we will be releasing it. I am sorry about that.

DSON importer for Poser showed us that we had to make some changes to the format, which meant we had to pretty much rewrite the DSON importer. in Carrara. We also had to get Carrara users a way to populate their smart content tab without the use of DAZ Studio. (Install Manager, which now includes the Valentina server, you don't even have to download DAZ Studio if you don't want to anymore. :) )

Then we had to give you some non-content related features, even though Carrara 8.5 was supposed to be all about Genesis and DSON. :)

So yes, it has been a long rough road, and those of you that have come along for the ride are definitely appreciated. Thanks. The best is yet to come. :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Good day Daz_Spooky, thanks for the heads up :)

Poser being the death of Carrara? :) Of course not... well not for us dedicated Carrara people.
    Poser 2014 is pretty flashy though. Those "bells and whistles" are sure to take some potential new users away from Carrara.

Fingers crossed Carrara 8.5 will be equally as "flashy" - and grab a few users away from Poser :)

(mind you, keep it under your hat but apparently, at the moment I read that V4 doesn't work in the new Poser release - don't tell anyone....)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Poser being the death of Carrara? They aren't even the same type of software. :)

There were some things that delayed Carrara 8.5, from when we wanted to release it and when we will be releasing it. I am sorry about that.

DSON importer for Poser showed us that we had to make some changes to the format, which meant we had to pretty much rewrite the DSON importer. in Carrara. We also had to get Carrara users a way to populate their smart content tab without the use of DAZ Studio. (Install Manager, which now includes the Valentina server, you don't even have to download DAZ Studio if you don't want to anymore. :) )

Then we had to give you some non-content related features, even though Carrara 8.5 was supposed to be all about Genesis and DSON. :)

So yes, it has been a long rough road, and those of you that have come along for the ride are definitely appreciated. Thanks. The best is yet to come. :)

Spooky, thanks for the information. I love Carrara, and while financial considerations have prevented me from upgrading to C8 Pro from C7 Pro, I look forward to upgrading eventually.

To be totally honest, I couldn't give a rat's patootie about genesis, but I understand the need for it. There are additional features non-content related that add value for me, so when finances allow I will be updating.

edited May 2013

Edit for relevancy: apologies!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited May 2013

head wax said:

(mind you, keep it under your hat but apparently, at the moment I read that V4 doesn't work in the new Poser release - don't tell anyone....)

That is only if you dress her ;-P

I have not tried v4 yet (been exploring the new figures), but as I understand the issue, there is a problem with clothing conforming around the bottom area.

Post edited by ncamp on
    edited December 1969

thanks ncamp, :) dress her? who'd do something silly like that ,

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

The V4 problem is known to Smith Micro. They have a whole thread exists on ot.

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?78956-Big-issue-with-V4-in-PP2014

Miki 4 is having some problems with instillation and the new version. So I understand that Miki 4 will be getting a new installer.

Finally, if you buy the new version make sure you get your early Adopter Logo. I oreder a physical upgrade nd had to contact Smith Micro for it.

head wax said:

Poser being the death of Carrara? :) Of course not... well not for us dedicated Carrara people.
    Poser 2014 is pretty flashy though. Those "bells and whistles" are sure to take some potential new users away from Carrara.

Fingers crossed Carrara 8.5 will be equally as "flashy" - and grab a few users away from Poser :)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Yay us! :-D

Seriously though Spooky, I really appreciate it when you post here. I wish Daz would do that more often (but that's another thread that got shutdown). I am definitely looking forward to the release of C8.5.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

As others have said - Thanks for the quick update!! It really does help a lot to know that you are actually still working on C8.5 !
    edited May 2013

looking forward to c8.5

Post edited by Headwax on