Optimal System Specifications, aka What type system should I be running?

Hi all.

I've currently got a system that boasts 8GB of RAM, 1.9GB set aside for video (built in) and a i5 3.2GHz quad core processor, and I'm wondering what everyone else is running, if you folks are willing to share. Here's why...

Lately I've been running into an issue where I get more than three or four characters in a scene, I get all sorts of screen flickering issues and stutters that I have written off to lack of either RAM or video memory. Also, I've hit an issue where the Daz interface itself is redrawing at almost seizure inducing frequency. Then, when I finally get to being able to render it's "Not responding, working fine, not responding, working fine, not responding, working fine leave me the f#$% alone!" rinse, repeat.

I do have a more powerful system on the drawing board, but it requires funding (more whining on that later), but this one isn't exactly a spud either. Is there some mystery setting I'm missing, or is it just a matter of raw power?

Thanks in advance for the input and opinions.

Comments

• 8GB of RAM, with (only) 1.5 going to the display is not giving you much room to manoeuvre. You mightt ry one of the other viewport modes (click the sphere next to the camera/view picker at top-right of the viewport) and you could also check the settings Edit>Prefrences>Interface.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

It sounds like your integrated Intel video is the bottleneck in your situation.  For running your viewport, 1.9GB of RAM is a perfectly acceptable amount.  Your issue is that it's coming from your main RAM, so your Graphics and Windows processes are stuck sharing the same paths in and out of the RAM.

Even an inexpensive ($120) Graphics card like the Geforce GTX 1050 would make a huge improvement in your Daz Studio performance. 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@jtdekoning

Since you asked, I7 4770K, 32GB RAM, GTX980Ti.

No offense, but your current system is actually pretty spudly for 3D rendering.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

@jtdekoning
    Primary Daz Studio workstation (Desktop Computer):
    Dell Precision T7500 (Purchased used with dual quad core CPUs for $200 after shipping)
    CPU : 2x Intel Xeon X5860 (6 core 3.33GHz) (Purchased used for $70 each)
    RAM : 48GB DDR3 (6x8GB + 6x empty) (Purchased used for $150)
    GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti 11GB (Purchased New)

Second hand workstation class computers are very good inexpensive alternatives to buying a new consumer grade computer. (Provided you are willing to do upgrades yourself)

Mobile Workstation (Notebook Computer):
    Dell Precision M6700 :
    CPU : Intel Core i7-3840QM (Quad Core)
    RAM : 16GB DDR3 (4x4GB)
    GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 980M 8GB (Upgraded from Nvidia Quadro K5000M 4GB because not enough VRAM for my Iray renders)

• fastbike1 said:

@jtdekoning

Since you asked, I7 4770K, 32GB RAM, GTX980Ti.

No offense, but your current system is actually pretty spudly for 3D rendering.

Ol' Uniblab is turning out to be pretty spudly for a lot of things, I'm finding out.

• Since I started this thread, I might as well be the one to resurrect it.

Trading in the spud for the Klopman Diamond. 32gig of ram and 8gig of video. Should be here by the end of January.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,602
    edited January 2019

My specs - 

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X w/ NZXT Kraken X62 AIO
    MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Mobo
    32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM
    EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW 3 GPU
    EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850 PSU
    Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 (OS)
    Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 (DAZ & Games and OMGAD running out of room!)
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5 (Games)
    WD Black 3TB (Storage)
    WD Black 4TB (Backup)

I actually built this system in Aug 2017 before I ever even contemplated doing 3D work. I was primarily into video game screenarchery, texture editing, and photography. But now I'm glad I did! Some time this year I'll probably make the jump to the newest "TI" model. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on