HDR Light Studio

I was wondering, as i often like to use HDR images in Carrara i thought HDR Light Studio would be very interesting.
I haven't used it yet but was wondering if anybody here knows this software and or have ever worked with it.

https://www.lightmap.co.uk/

Comments

• I've never even heard of it, but it looks pretty cool.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223

Interesting

• i've found it long time ago and always thought about the standalone a try but never did.
    So i was wondering if here is anybody who is already using this software, i'm also wondering if they are interested to make a Carrara Plugin.
    Would be very interesting to see what it's capable of.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Looks cool, but expensive, and I doubt that they would do a new Carrara plugin (although you never know).  As an alternative and knowing that you have Octane Render, you can set up lights in Carrara to get a look that you like - any combination of HDRI background, area lights in Octane etc, and then put a spherical camera at the same place as your subject (probably need to hide the subject and anything else you don't want in your final HDRI), rotate the spherical camera 90 degrees so that it is pointing at the horizon and use Octane to render a hi-res spherical image and save this using an EXR format.  You can then use Photoshop (or other image editor that will handle the formats) to load the EXR and save as an HDR Radiance format, which you can then use as an HDRI background in any program that uses them, which includes Carrara and Daz Studfio.

• Thank you very much for the information, that sounds very interesting.

I've just still got one thing to solve as somehow if i set a light, octane won't render it.
    For example, right now, i've got an HDRI background, a room with open windows and a character.
    I've set a bulb light and also ring shape light but octane just renders the environment light coming from the HDRI and the octane environment.
    What am i doing wrong? Do i need to change anything in the octane render target?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

For a bulb light (and some others) you need to go into the Effects tab and scroll down until you can see Octane Light Bulb and Enable it. You can then play with the different parameters to get the illumination that you want.

The other classic way of doing lights in Octane is to add some geometry (a sphere for example for a bulb light) in the shape that you want the light and apply an Octane Emission material to it (you can use a Carrara shader with a color multiplied by the 1-10000% scaling function).

• Thanks a lot for the information!
    That helped me a lot! :)

Just need to find some nice setting for a natural light now.