Where are the files?

Greetings!

I have recently migrated over from Poser, and I am trying to change the textures on some 3d models. In Poser, it was very easy. The Materials Room would let you handle all of that very easily. If you wanted to permanently alter some textures, the Materials room would take you to the right file, and you could simply save your new version on top of the old one. 

DAZ studio...doesn't seem to have anything like the Materials room. So I decided to go looking for the files in Windows Explorer. All I could find were the icons DAZ studio uses to show you which skin you're choosing. I thought I remembered hearing that DAZ studio doesn't install things the same way Poser does. Any ideas on where it would normally put textures once something is installed by the download manager?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

In the Daz Install Manager (DIM) you can right click on an installed product name and select Show Installed Files... That will show you exactly where each file was installed on your computer. I don't think that is really what you are looking for, though. Rather than locate the textures on your hard drive, I think you want to locate them in the Content Library or Smart Content panes withing Daz Studio. Then you can select your character in the Scene pane and and double click on the material file thumbnail in the Content Library or Smart Content to apply the material to the selected character. 

Take a look at the Daz Studio introductory tutorial videos to help get familiar with how things are done in Daz Studio. Here is a link to one of them. There are also interactive lessons that you can install with the installation manager and run right inside Daz Studio.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

The rough equivalent of the Poser Materials Room in DAZ Studio would be the Surfaces Tab/Pane. It is obviously quite different visually compared to the Materials Room, but it will allow you to edit the various surface parameters to convert to Iray or 3Delight materials, or any other changes that you wish to make. Upon making those changes, you will probably want to save them as a Materials Preset rather than overwriting the original files (which you probably cannot do anyway if the materials file is in Poser format (i.e. MC5)). Instead the file will be saved as a DAZ .duf file with a name of your choosing. You could simply use the same name as the Poser material file (if there is one), or whatever else makes sense to you. It normally would be placed in the Materials folder of the DAZ content library for easy access.