Filter Forge vs Genetica

HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Anyone have experience of these two texture generation package, and can say what are the pros and cons of each. I already have Genetica (the basic version), so I am wondering if it is worth picking up Filter Forge as well. Given that Filter Forge has a huge database of built-in textures, then there is obviously that advantage of having both.

Also, how well does Filter Forge work in standalone mode? I do not have Photoshop, nor have I any intention of getting it, so I am only interested in using Filter Forge in standalone mode.

Comments

• Filter Forge works fine as a standalone. That's about the only way I use it, even though I have Photoshop CS6. I also have the Basic version of Genetica, but I seldom use it so I can't offer much insight there. Filter Forge has all those textures that you can download for free, they have a forum and lots of tutorials. I'm not sure Genetica has all that.

There is also a companion library application for Filter Forge that you can buy. You need to buy the filters that go with the library separately, if I am remembering correctly. Saves you from downloading them all. If you buy just the download/disc of filters and then install them all, then Filter Forge might not open. That happened to me. That is what the purpose of the library is. You open the library and then you can browse all the filters that were available at the time you got the download/disc of filters. Then you select just the ones you want to use and send them to Filter Forge. If any new filters are released after you get the download/disc, then you would need to download them yourself.

How the purchase of these two extra files work may have changed since I bought them. But for the complete suite, you had to buy Filter Forge, the Library and the companion filters.

• You don't have to buy the filters - you can download them as you need them.  The library of filters is an option for those who want them all at once.

I've been using it (v.6) for a little over a month and it's pretty easy to get to grips with.  I find I need to get into the filter editor from time to time to adjust things to my needs but once you get your head around it it's not too scary.

The available filters vary in quality but there's so many that I can usually find something close to what I want.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Thanks for the information. I confess I have not used Genetica that much so far, but I do want to use something to increase the woefully low number of wood textures that I currently have. Genetica also has a downloadable database of existing texture filters, but I suspect it is not as extensive as that of Filter Forge.

I always thought Filter Forge was tightly bound to Photoshop, which has put me off using it in the past, but if it works great as a standalone that is useful to know, cheers.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 2017

Spiral Graphics has a free program for making some wood textures, it's called Wood Workshop: http://spiralgraphics.biz/ww_overview.htm

This is from a different thread about Filter Forge, I copied and pasted it from my comment...

"Reading through this thread, I thought I'd mention a few things...

•If you miss the big sale, give it a few weeks, there will be another sale... Filter Forge frequently has 70%- 80% off sales.

•Standard and Professional versions are the best buys... Standard allows you to make your own filters or alter others... Pro is ultimately the best because it has the most features and value (especially because of the render maps feature).

•As far as the bump and normal maps are concerned (the feature for diffuse, bump, normal and occlusion are called "render maps" in FF), they are only accessible in the pro version, but not all filters have them because not all filter authors know how to use the feature... Also really old ones sometimes tend to not have them because it took a while for people to figure out how to use them... And also because most of the photo effects filters are just photo effects and don't need render maps.

•If anyone decides to go the cheaper route and buy the basic or standard version, you can sort of get around the lack of bump and normal maps by using these filters...

https://www.filterforge.com/filters/8297.html

https://www.filterforge.com/filters/9954.html

With an image editor and a bit of trial and error you might make some decent bump or normal maps, but you'll miss out on diffuse maps which you'll really need if you want to make good PBR materials... The diffuse maps look different from the regular texture renders (usually because the contain lighting highlights or directional shadows), which don't look as good when turned into PBR materials or if you intend to 3D paint with them... For that you really get better results using diffuse and normal maps.

•Most of the 12,000 filters (a few of which I've contributed too) are submitted to the library by filter forge users... Their skills vary, some are good, some great and other kinda suck and are just ripoffs of other filters. Most are pretty good and most are useful in some way or other.

•Filter Forge does not need Photoshop to work... I do occasionally use photoshop with FF, but 98% of the time I use it standalone and it works flawlessly.

•As mentioned before, the statement "You'll get a permanent license key for a one-time fee" means for that version and that level (basic, standard or pro)... That was probably meant to distinguish this from a subscription.  There is an additional level above "Professional"... "Professional Plus"... "a lifetime upgrade to all future Filter Forge versions"... Which basically is a onetime payment that gives you a lifetime professional license upgrade, but that is not meant to be confused with the "permanent license key" statement.

•Something to keep in mind to avoid disappointment or confusion... If you buy version 6, you'll be able to use all filters from versions 6 to 1... But when version 7 comes out, version 7 filters will not work with version 6... Usually this isn't a problem, because when a new version come out, it usually takes quite a while for good filters to show up, and at this point there are so many filters, it's not a big deal... But eventually you may start seeing filters you like that won't work in your version.

•I find the best way to get answers or report problems with Filter Forge, is to either contact them directly through "Contact" at their website, or by asking on their forums, especially "Bugs and Problems"... In my experience they are usually pretty good with follow up."

At the moment I only own Filter Forge (I moved up to "Lifetime Upgrade"), but I intend to one day purchase Genetica Pro, but I keep missing the few sales they have.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Hi, I'll try to answer all of your questions about Filter Forge.

1. It works prefectly in a standalone mode and it can work with a number of hosts: https://www.filterforge.com/download/hosts.html

2. Filter Library Backup and Librarian. These two additions are designed for users with no stable internet connection (for security or economical reasons.) Yes, when you buy them you have all the existing filters right on your computer at once.

3. In Filter Forge 7 we released features that are interesting for people who work with textures:

✅ All Channels in Filter Forge (formerly Render Maps) are now rendered simultaneously and in parallel with the final image, without taking additional time.

✅ You can preview all active Channels during rendering.

✅ You can export all them to files at once via the new Export dialog.

In short -- it is more convenient now to work with textures and maps.

✅ AND There's now an opportunity to copy and paste any result in Filter Forge that allows you to use Filter Forge together with any image editor regardless of its support for plugins.

Regards,

Jane

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Cheers McGyver for the input, and thank you Jane for popping in and answering my points.

I picked up Filter Forge 7 yesterday, and I am looking forward to trying it out. It is the vast library of existing filters that is the main selling point for me.