!!New Poser 10 and PP2014

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

This is also how it's done in 3DS Max, and i'm quite surprised Daz Studio doesn't do this.

It does to an extenet - the slider controls the viewport SubD level, renders are always done at (I think) a value determined by the shading rate.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

I see the male Rex character but haven't seen a new female character in the Poser 10 marketing pics. Also I was browsing thru looking for mention of Genesis for any further improvements with the interface but didn't see it mentioned. I may wait awhile since SM sometimes comes out with further discounts fairly early from the initial release (but not free like Daz did:)

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

hard for me to get excited. i was an early adopter of Poser 2012 and haven't enjoyed it much, mainly due to the crappy, slow loading library palette which doesn't appear to be any different using Adobe Air still. I also don't care for the node based material room, which makes very little sense to me thru 5 versions of poser. I got Reality 3 thinking it might get be back into Poser 2012, but so far, it has been utter frustration, so i am back using DS4.5/Reality which works for me and my workflow. Will see how this one plays out since it has some great new features.

use poser vs octane to render ;)
    great great great

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

This is also how it's done in 3DS Max, and i'm quite surprised Daz Studio doesn't do this.

It does to an extenet - the slider controls the viewport SubD level, renders are always done at (I think) a value determined by the shading rate.

Not really, no. The slider controls both the viewport and render SubD level. The Shading Rate effects only the clarity and accuracy of the render by determining how many times a particular area should be sampled to detect the colour of a single pixel. The Shading Rate is very important when using Manga Style, as a lower Shading Rate (more calculations) results in a much more accurate screentone pattern, while a higher Shading Rate will result in a much noisier image.

• ronmolinaronmolina Posts: 118
    edited May 2013

Looks great but I am kind of upset. I upgraded by purchasing a box version of the pro version on March 31, 2013 that only arrived on April 23, 2013 yet I do not qualify for the 2014 pro version. That stinks!

Post edited by ronmolina on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

I'd contact support and see it something can be done. They would have a record of when it was sent out.

• Nod64Nod64 Posts: 35
    edited May 2013

I was going to get it until I spotted this.

“24-bit color display, 1440 x 900 minimum resolution”

I’m using a 26” television for my monitor and the maximum that it can do is 1360x768. :coolmad:

I’ll just need to hold off until I replace that.

Post edited by Nod64 on
  • Nod64Nod64 Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

hard for me to get excited. i was an early adopter of Poser 2012 and haven't enjoyed it much, mainly due to the crappy, slow loading library palette which doesn't appear to be any different using Adobe Air still. I also don't care for the node based material room, which makes very little sense to me thru 5 versions of poser. I got Reality 3 thinking it might get be back into Poser 2012, but so far, it has been utter frustration, so i am back using DS4.5/Reality which works for me and my workflow. Will see how this one plays out since it has some great new features.

use poser vs octane to render ;)
    great great great

I have Octane as well, and it's worth every penny. :coolsmile:

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Noel said:

I’m using a 26” television for my monitor and the maximum that it can do is 1360x768. :coolmad:

I think it has to do with the docked display mode. They need that resolution to fit all the tools onto screen.
    I think - but I am not sure - that it will work with a smaller display, you just have to be selective with the tools you have open at the same time.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

Not really, no. The slider controls both the viewport and render SubD level. The Shading Rate effects only the clarity and accuracy of the render by determining how many times a particular area should be sampled to detect the colour of a single pixel. The Shading Rate is very important when using Manga Style, as a lower Shading Rate (more calculations) results in a much more accurate screentone pattern, while a higher Shading Rate will result in a much noisier image.

You are correct that it doesn't respond to the shading rate control, but also wrong that it uses the slider to control it - it seems to sub-divide to the pixel scale at least. Viewport and render of a SubD single division cube

SubD-Render.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 94K
    SubD-Viewport.JPG
    913 x 903 - 45K
    edited May 2013

You are correct that it doesn't respond to the shading rate control, but also wrong that it uses the slider to control it - it seems to sub-divide to the pixel scale at least. Viewport and render of a SubD single division cube

Woah woah woah...now THAT I did not know. In my defence, i've never had to subD a cube in Daz Studio, and it's not like you can clearly see the difference between a SubD'd Genesis in either the viewport or the final render.

It seems that even if you set the SubD level to 0, the render will always look SubD'd as long as you have "High Resolution" selected. Actually, I theorise that the final render always uses the highest SubDivision level possible. When applying SubD to a cube, you actually get the choice of 7 SubD levels (because it's such a low poly figure). Denser objects however, such as Genesis, only have two. In the case of the Sphere, the final render will always default to Level 7 regardless of the level you set, while with Genesis it'll always default to level 2.

Well that changes a lot. That means that you don't have to have the SubD level turned up while setting up the scene, which makes things a little easier. However, it would be nice to have directly control over the rendered SubD level, rather than having the highest possible level automatically selected for you.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • edited May 2013

I just got done with a Smith Micro chat, and JUST for those who don't remember seeing it in the original announcement email... (whistles innocently) The sidegrade and upgrade prices are officially good until June 30th. It'll go back to $249 after that. So it might be a good way to hold off a little bit and see what others think of the new versions.

Are there pics/vids of the new figures yet? (Yes, those may be in some obvious place, but I've been painting all day and I'm getting a little lightheaded by now... :)

ETA: I'm almost getting to the point where I don't care if DSON works any better or not. You know when you keep going over and over and over something that doesn't work until you're almost getting psychotic? That's kind of what happened with me and DSON. I've tried every every AND I MEAN EVERYthing and I've never been able to get it to work. At some point, you just have to move on. Sort of like the time I spent two months trying to get my van to pass emissions in Oregon... there comes a point where it's not worth putting any more time into it.

Post edited by anise_leinen_390fa63a2b on
  • Drew ZantiDrew Zanti Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Are there pics/vids of the new figures yet? (Yes, those may be in some obvious place, but I've been painting all day and I'm getting a little lightheaded by now... :)

Hi
    If you scroll to the bottom of the new Poser info page there are some images of the new figures and some feature videos.
    the new female figure Roxie is mostly seen in the feature videos.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/

• edited December 1969

Hi
    If you scroll to the bottom of the new Poser info page there are some images of the new figures and some feature videos.
    the new female figure Roxie is mostly seen in the feature videos.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/

I think I found Rex!

Okay, this is going to sound strange... but one thing I LOVE is that Rex is the very first male character I've seen yet who actually looks like the main character in my book. :) I'm primarily using Poser to create cover art, and I haven't been able to find ANYBODY, regular, morphed, whatever, who even remotely looks like Nathaniel. I think that Rex could be it. :)

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited May 2013

To put it simply, you can use it on any model, but you'll only see any real benefit when using low-resolution models.

Speaking of SubD, anyone notice that Poser 10 has separate subD options for the Viewport and the Render? So the model can look low poly in the viewport (thereby introducing no additional lag), and then high poly in the final render. This is also how it's done in 3DS Max, and i'm quite surprised Daz Studio doesn't do this.

DS only gives you controls for the viewport, that is not the same level as used at render time. 3Delight does adaptive Sub-D, giving you as much or as little as you need, based on distance from the camera, for render time, regardless of the settings in in the viewport, as long as the model is identified as Sub-D.

DAZ Studio doesn't need both.

Post edited by BTLProd on
  • NetherworksNetherworks Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    Noel said:

I think it has to do with the docked display mode. They need that resolution to fit all the tools onto screen.
    I think - but I am not sure - that it will work with a smaller display, you just have to be selective with the tools you have open at the same time.

Yes, that is it! :) I was looking for my homework on this one but you nailed it.

edited December 1969

To put it simply, you can use it on any model, but you'll only see any real benefit when using low-resolution models.

Speaking of SubD, anyone notice that Poser 10 has separate subD options for the Viewport and the Render? So the model can look low poly in the viewport (thereby introducing no additional lag), and then high poly in the final render. This is also how it's done in 3DS Max, and i'm quite surprised Daz Studio doesn't do this.

DS only gives you controls for the viewport, that is not the same level as used at render time. 3Delight does adaptive Sub-D, giving you as much or as little as you need, based on distance from the camera, for render time, regardless of the settings in in the viewport, as long as the model is identified as Sub-D.

DAZ Studio doesn't need both.

Well that's nice to know.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Gosh. Who cares about Genesis.

It's the Fitting Room that excites me! Some of that Genesis clothing I bought back in September/October may finally get a use if it's able to be fit well to M4/V4.

The week of the 20th is going to be sooo exciting (and even more eagerly awaited). My Friday off for the summer begins AND a new Poser Pro! Happy, happy!

ghosty12 said:
    Poser users will have new toys to play with very soon with a May 21st 2013 release date http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/?hq_e=el&hq_m=1042890&hq_l=4&hq_v=2de2fee9ac

Some exciting new features coming in this release be interesting to see what happens with Genesis compatibility with this new version..

• DoricDoric Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

It's the Fitting Room that excites me! Some of that Genesis clothing I bought back in September/October may finally get a use if it's able to be fit well to M4/V4.

The week of the 20th is going to be sooo exciting (and even more eagerly awaited). My Friday off for the summer begins AND a new Poser Pro! Happy, happy!

Um well, as I want the physical copy, I'm going to have to wait a few more days. But with the CC M4/K4 scripts, no need to mess with dson or genesis in poser, and the fitting room is going to be a lot of prayers answered for a lot of people.

D.

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited May 2013

ghosty12 said:
    Poser users will have new toys to play with very soon with a May 21st 2013 release date http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser10-poserpro2014/?hq_e=el&hq_m=1042890&hq_l=4&hq_v=2de2fee9ac

Some exciting new features coming in this release be interesting to see what happens with Genesis compatibility with this new version..

Who cares about Genesis? I do, for one. I bought both PP2012 and DS Pro at about the same time in 2011. Early on, I perceived Genesis to be a gender-less/specie-less character that could morph away the Victoria/Michael/Aiko/Stephanie/etc/etc silliness. Of course, all of this was naive thinking on my part. Genesis was the reason I ended up primarily using DS.

I have explored DSON in Poser and it just doesn't work for me. Description: heavily-invested-in-Genesis-and-would-like-to-switch-to-Poser. Native support for Genesis in Poser would help a lot. In my current view, benefit advantage vs. cost of Genesis shrinks by the day.

Post edited by artistb3 on
    edited December 1969

Who cares about Genesis? I do, for one. I bought both PP2012 and DS Pro at about the same time in 2011. Early on, I perceived Genesis to be a gender-less/specie-less character that could morph away the Victoria/Michael/Aiko/Stephanie/etc/etc silliness. Of course, all of this was naive thinking on my part. Genesis was reason I ended up primarily using DS.

I have explored DSON in Poser and it just doesn't work for me. Description: heavily-invested-in-Genesis-and-would-like-to-switch-to-Poser. Native support for Genesis in Poser would help a lot. In my current view, benefit advantage vs. cost of Genesis shrink by the day.

Strictly crystal ball gazing, but with CC's scripts, it's not difficult to envision SM designing around that and coming out with characters, maybe not genderless, but able to dial through the different ages. The "monster morphs", something that I have no interest in but I have a lot of Poserworld items that it will be interesting to see how well they can be made to fit other characters. I've read the complaints that autofit gives a shrink wrapped appearance, if the fitting room allows getting around that, then there's not even any contest.

Doric.

edited December 1969

Doric said:
    I've read the complaints that autofit gives a shrink wrapped appearance, if the fitting room allows getting around that, then there's not even any contest.

Doric.

You could always try Sickleyield's rigging and morphing system.

http://www.daz3d.com/sickle-rigging-and-morphing-system

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

Doric said:

Who cares about Genesis? I do, for one. I bought both PP2012 and DS Pro at about the same time in 2011. Early on, I perceived Genesis to be a gender-less/specie-less character that could morph away the Victoria/Michael/Aiko/Stephanie/etc/etc silliness. Of course, all of this was naive thinking on my part. Genesis was reason I ended up primarily using DS.

I have explored DSON in Poser and it just doesn't work for me. Description: heavily-invested-in-Genesis-and-would-like-to-switch-to-Poser. Native support for Genesis in Poser would help a lot. In my current view, benefit advantage vs. cost of Genesis shrink by the day.

Strictly crystal ball gazing, but with CC's scripts, it's not difficult to envision SM designing around that and coming out with characters, maybe not genderless, but able to dial through the different ages. The "monster morphs", something that I have no interest in but I have a lot of Poserworld items that it will be interesting to see how well they can be made to fit other characters. I've read the complaints that autofit gives a shrink wrapped appearance, if the fitting room allows getting around that, then there's not even any contest.

Doric.

I've given up trying to understand DAZ's strategy in regard to autofit. As someone who has focused on Genesis for the past couple of years, in my case, there was a lot of Gen 4 stuff (particularity anything with heels and long skirts) that I did not purchase because autofit just did not work well enough to justify the cost/effort. I spent far more time than planned in seeking workarounds.

Thanks goes out to crdgit for Posemaster, Dimension3D for GenX and to SicklyYield for RMS. Without GenX, I doubt very much I would have stuck with Genesis this long.

Difficult to tell yet, but it appears there is reason to hope SM understands the importance of backward compatibility to its' end users and will support us.

edited December 1969

artistb3 said:

Difficult to tell yet, but it appears there is reason to hope SM understands the importance of backward compatibility to its' end users and will support us.

Poser has always had good backward compatibility until P9/PP2012, when weightmaping was introduced. It didn't mean it wouldn't handle the older figures, only that the new ones needed programming that wasn't included in the older versions.

What is interesting in CC's M4/K4 script is that it only needs two figures on the same mesh, and it works from there. With Poser figures coming from in house, how much problem would it be to create a younger figure on the same mesh, rig it, and it wouldn't have to be included, just a dial in the morphed figure to change everything. The code is there in the script, including it in the program and one figure could replace many, satisfactorily. It would not surprise me to see that as either an update or something included in the next version.
    M4 or V4 can both be morphed to a combination of them and K4, David 3 and Matt work equally as well. I haven't seen anything for V3 though, it's possible there is no smaller mesh to morph to. I don't now.

But the problem of fitting clothes is still there, at least until PP2014 is released on the twenty first.

MY credit card hurts.

Doric

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

In honor of Poser Pro 2014, (and since my warranty is expired), I decided it was most definitely time to replace my computer.

Dell Precision T3600
    Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1620 (Four Core 3.6GHz, 10M, Turbo)
    635W Power Supply, 90 Percent Efficiency
    16GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC (4 x 4GB DIMMs)
    2GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 4000, DUAL MON, 2DP & 1DVI
    2TB, 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
    Windows 7 Professional,SP1,w XP Mode,No Media, 64-bit, English

Since I'm ordering the box copy of Poser Pro 2014, the computer may actually arrive before Poser does. With Dell Advantage, I get two day shipping at no extra cost.

I debated going with the six core and 32 GB memory, but it would have cost another $1,000 and that was out of my comfort zone. Still, this should be a vast improvement over the XPS which is struggling too much with some of the "simple" scenes I've been doing lately. The Bell Flowers had to be rendered in sections because up close my computer simply stopped rendering when it got to them.

Best of all, because I put it on my Dell account (12 months no interest), the discount for doing so covered the PA taxes.

• B-DudeB-Dude Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I'm hoping that the new versions of Daz and Poser are more compatible with each our.

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

I don't know much about Poser Pro's advanced features - I pretty much just pose, light, and render - but can someone explain to me how easy this Fitting Room function is likely to be please?

I have a massive Genesis library that I have never used, and would LOVE to be able to fit to a basic M4/V4. Am I reading it right that PP2014 would be able to do that?

Thanks!