Can someone help me find a chariot?

Greetings, all Super Sleuths!! smiley

I am inspired! I want to make an image in my mind, but I am having some trouble. I am looking for an ancient NORSE styled chariot. Not a Roman one... or a Greek one. It needs to be Norse. But, I have searched myself and the only one I found was a poorly made 3D .obj for $210. (Yeah).

So???

Anyone know of one?

Thanks, in advance! 

1200-92831181-god-of-thunder-on-chariot.jpg
1200 x 1195 - 541K
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg
1000 x 972 - 253K
Freyja3.jpg
469 x 399 - 53K

Comments

• Could you retexture something like this: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/egyptian-chariot/118159 ?

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 2017

Could you retexture something like this: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/egyptian-chariot/118159 ?

Thanks, but that one is very Egyptian. The Norse chariot I want doesn't stand higher than somewhere around the knees.

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • ^you could separate the cart-part and scale it down on the y-axis.

Is this an urgent need or could you wait a week or 2? (I could model one, but baby's due any day and texturing still takes me a while).   How close-up do you want to render it?  Do the wheels need to move?  What's it made of?  (I'm guessing wood but I can't tell from those pictures).  I don't think I'd be able to do the reins though - you could kit-bash from another set.

edited December 2017

Well, it's not too too incredibly urgent as I have not even begun the scene. It is still just a rough idea in my head. And I wouldn't trouble you to texture it. I could probabaly do that myself... But.. WOW! That is so sweet of you!! Message me and we can talk $$$.

THANKS! smileysmileysmiley

• Hey I may have found one that might work...but it's in SLDPRT format. Does anyone know of a free converter, by any chance??

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,635
    edited December 2017

^a quick search suggested you'd need solidworks to then export in stl and then convert stl to obj.

I only did a quick look though so maybe there's a converter that would do it.

Well, it's not too too incredibly urgent as I have not even begun the scene. It is still just a rough idea in my head. And I wouldn't trouble you to texture it. I could probabaly do that myself... But.. WOW! That is so sweet of you!! Message me and we can talk $$$.

No $$ ( I need the practice ;) )

Edit: Sized for which figure? G3M/F / G8M/F? Aiko 4?

Post edited by Silent Winter on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 2017

There is a British one on turbosquid which might work https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-british-chariot-model/519049

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • ^a quick search suggested you'd need solidworks to then export in stl and then convert stl to obj.

Awww... Thank you. heart

Probably G8M. You're Awesomesauce!!

• There is a British one on turbosquid which might work https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-british-chariot-model/519049

I did see that one. smiley While more the right size, not really the right style. But thank you so much for looking for me. You guys are the BEST!

• ^a quick search suggested you'd need solidworks to then export in stl and then convert stl to obj.

Awww... Thank you. heart

Don't say that til you see it (I'm not a pro ;) )

Here's a WIP (G3M but he's the same size as G8M) - Can I get feedback on the overall shape? (texture is just the NVIDIA walnut example that comes with DS - just to give it some colour)

Are the wheels too wide? Would you prefer the fancier spokes from that first image in the OP?  Do you want the wooden 'harness' (or whatever it's called - poles that jut out the front) or will you use reins like in the middle image of the OP (in which case want the handlebars attachment at the front)?  Also how many mat-zones do you want and where?

(apologies for the lack of correct terminology - my brain's not working on language today :p )

Norse Chariot field test 01.png
    900 x 1200 - 667K

Awww... Thank you. heart

Here's a WIP (G3M but he's the same size as G8M) - Can I get feedback on the overall shape? (texture is just the NVIDIA walnut example that comes with DS - just to give it some colour)

Are the wheels too wide? Would you prefer the fancier spokes from that first image in the OP?  Do you want the wooden 'harness' (or whatever it's called - poles that jut out the front) or will you use reins like in the middle image of the OP (in which case want the handlebars attachment at the front)?  Also how many mat-zones do you want and where?

(apologies for the lack of correct terminology - my brain's not working on language today :p )

Wow, you are amazing! No procrastination in your blood, is there? Lol I appreciate it very much. Thank you. The size is perfect! And yes, if you could get it close to that first image, I would be absolutely thrilled! Yeah, those wheels are a little chunky, but... I don't want to make it too challenging or dampen YOUR creative spirit at all. I can't wait to see it now!!!! Thank you so much!

Awww... Thank you. heart

Wow, you are amazing! No procrastination in your blood, is there? Lol I appreciate it very much. Thank you. The size is perfect! And yes, if you could get it close to that first image, I would be absolutely thrilled! Yeah, those wheels are a little chunky, but... I don't want to make it too challenging or dampen YOUR creative spirit at all. I can't wait to see it now!!!! Thank you so much!

I was using this to procrastinate over doing something else ;)

No worries on the wheels - its an easy x-scale in Blender.  Will attempt the spokes and wooden pole things (but still no reins, sorry).

I'll have to work on it some more tomorrow though - late here now and busy busy :)

Awww... Thank you. heart

No worries on the wheels - its an easy x-scale in Blender.  Will attempt the spokes and wooden pole things (but still no reins, sorry).

I'll have to work on it some more tomorrow though - late here now and busy busy :)

"wooden pole things" are on the second image, right? The one with the goats in the first image is the one I was referring but... Do what you're inspired to do. :)
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

I don't think the artists who drew those refrence illos had any idea of how you would hitch a pair of animals up to a chariot. Or not animals which weren't horses. I'd say you can wing it with whatever works. Kitbashing would seem in order. Unless it's for an animation, the geometry editor is your friend.

One thing I've seen in most chariot models, is that they aren't evidently designed with anything like an efficient turning radius, so you don't need to mess with movable axles. Since each animal needs its own harnes, that would tend to dictate the kind of T-shaped poles that that egyptian chariot has. (I have that model, so I knaow what it looks like.), but I suspect that at the time people used any number of pole designs to tie a pair to the chariot, and were only concerned with whatever worked.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582

Well, poo!  You blew my chance for kidding around.  If you had not been specific in your request, going so far as to present examples, I would have shared an image of the tread driven ground vehicle from "Lost in Space".  (It was called the "Chariot".)

Sincerely,

Bill

• Since nearly 100 % of the illustrations of "Viking/Norse" chariots are dating from the Victtorian era or later..when artists only had Roman or Greek ideas to go from..you may as well go for a ret extured one of those. There are, as far as I know , no *actual* chariots from the viking age. There are references in literature however..often pulled by goats or even cats. The only surviving actual vehicle is a cart in the Oslo Ship Museum.

• Redfern said:

Well, poo!  You blew my chance for kidding around.  If you had not been specific in your request, going so far as to present examples, I would have shared an image of the tread driven ground vehicle from "Lost in Space".  (It was called the "Chariot".)

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern!!!! How ya been!??? Good to see you again! smiley

• Since nearly 100 % of the illustrations of "Viking/Norse" chariots are dating from the Victtorian era or later..when artists only had Roman or Greek ideas to go from..you may as well go for a ret extured one of those. There are, as far as I know , no *actual* chariots from the viking age. There are references in literature however..often pulled by goats or even cats. The only surviving actual vehicle is a cart in the Oslo Ship Museum.

Right. smiley But, I want to capture the look of those artistic "ideas" in my idea and was really surprised to not find even ONE. Well, I did find one I thought might work for what I wanted, but like I said it's in a weird format. Here's what it looked like:

1.JPG
    1136 x 545 - 81K

Awww... Thank you. heart

"wooden pole things" are on the second image, right? The one with the goats in the first image is the one I was referring but... Do what you're inspired to do. :)

I was thinking of the 'harness' type thing - looking again at the first pic, it seems it might be straps rather than wood - but I figured you might want something along those lines.

Looking at the last pic you posted (the wrong format one) I see it has the T-shape 'harness' (still not  sure what to call that) so I could do one of those easily enough.

Awww... Thank you. heart

I was thinking of the 'harness' type thing - looking again at the first pic, it seems it might be straps rather than wood - but I figured you might want something along those lines.

Looking at the last pic you posted (the wrong format one) I see it has the T-shape 'harness' (still not  sure what to call that) so I could do one of those easily enough.

Whatever you'd like to do is fine with me!!! smiley Thank You!!!

edited December 2017

Hey... This one's really cute, too!!! But it has a weird deal with it. You can only download it if you upload something and someone else downloads your upload. (???)

https://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=6849

Capture1.JPG
    1237 x 603 - 56K
    edited December 2017

Hahaha!  laugh Woah.  This one is so odd... and kinda creepy (I think it's the spinal column that gives it that creep factor, but it might be the horseless legs, I'm not sure). Anyway, I just had to share!!! it's free though, if that's your thing. wink

https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/vehicle/other/cybernetic-chariot

CyborgChariot.JPG
    784 x 539 - 37K
    edited December 2017

Hey... This one's really cute, too!!! But it has a weird deal with it. You can only download it if you upload something and someone else downloads your upload. (???)

Sounds like a catch-22 - who could be the first to download something on that site and start the chain?

Got a rigged version working in DS now.  Mostly done with Norse Chariot 2.0

Will post it for feeback in a short while.

Edit:  Do you want a DS native version? (that's what I've made) or would you prefer the .obj, (or both)?

Are you planning to use 3DL or Iray?  At the moment it's saved with the default 3DL shader (which is easy to convert to iray).

• Hey... This one's really cute, too!!! But it has a weird deal with it. You can only download it if you upload something and someone else downloads your upload. (???)

Sounds like a catch-22 - who could be the first to download something on that site and start the chain?

Got a rigged version working in DS now.  Mostly done with Norse Chariot 2.0

Will post it for feeback in a short while.

Right!! (???) 

I can't wait to see it!!! smileysmileysmiley

edited December 2017

Okay - here's 2.0

Take a good look and let me know if there are any embellishments you want to add (or other things that need changing, like the length of the harness pole - though that may need to wait until you try to hitch it up to an animal in your scene).  Edit - is the height okay?  That's an easy fix if you want it lower at the top.

I used the Daz Iron shader for the harness and axle, then a basic wood I got from filter forge for the rest, with no regard for the seams.  It looks a little too clean for a viking chariot but you said you'd do the textures yourself so...

The uv map is a little chaotic at the moment - once you get the final version you can bug me to alter seams, etc, according to how you want to work with it (but bear in mind seams in certain places or not causes more or less stretching).

Norse Chariot 2.0.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    edited December 2017

Edit:  Do you want a DS native version? (that's what I've made) or would you prefer the .obj, (or both)?

Are you planning to use 3DL or Iray?  At the moment it's saved with the default 3DL shader (which is easy to convert to iray).

DS version is fine. smiley

I would say, probably Iray... but, I'm not that familiar with Iray and may wimp out and use 3DL for this one. LOL. We'll see how it goes... Whatever is easier for you is fine. smiley

I am familiar enough with DS to make my way around most things or find the answer if I don't know. I just don't know how to model. LOL

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern!!!! How ya been!??? Good to see you again! smiley

Meh, doing well enough.  I don't post as often (not that I did that much anyway), lurking mostly until I read a "straight line" that tempts me to reply with a wise-a$$ "zinger".

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 2017

Okay - here's 2.0

Take a good look and let me know if there are any embellishments you want to add (or other things that need changing, like the length of the harness pole - though that may need to wait until you try to hitch it up to an animal in your scene).  Edit - is the height okay?  That's an easy fix if you want it lower at the top.

I used the Daz Iron shader for the harness and axle, then a basic wood I got from filter forge for the rest, with no regard for the seams.  It looks a little too clean for a viking chariot but you said you'd do the textures yourself so...

The uv map is a little chaotic at the moment - once you get the final version you can bug me to alter seams, etc, according to how you want to work with it (but bear in mind seams in certain places or not causes more or less stretching).

I Love the wheels now! They are perfect. smiley There are a few things I noticed that might be useful to you... I hope I'm not sounding too demanding. surprise

I have included a pic to show what I'm trying to say... but, who knows if I will make any sense at all!! LOL

OK... Where I have "arrows" want to draw attention to the "frame" of the cart. In the pics the frame is sort of "pipelike"? For lack of a better word?

Secondly... Yeah, the harness will need room for horses to fit in there in front of the cart. I will be using the old Millenium Horse.

And Lastly, The height of the "body"  (which I have circled, side by side) has more space... and is sort of just a "panel" under the frame.

Am I being a pain in the butt yet?? (Please, don't hate me)

I hope not!!!

I do LOVE the wheels, though!! heartheartheart

Feedback.jpg
    806 x 1125 - 162K
    edited December 2017

In that case, try downloading this zip.  (This is the first time I've zipped up something in DS format - so if it doesn't work right, let me know).

Try it out and let me know what you want changing.

I included a readme licensing its use in basically the same way that Daz licenses are + interactive just in case.  If I've worded it confusingly, I can change it later.

I set limits on the harness - you can change or remove those as needed.

It loads partly through the ground plane (sorry) - shift-D will make it jump on top.

Edit: Zip gone - 3.0 coming soon ;)

• In that case, try downloading this zip.  (This is the first time I've zipped up something in DS format - so if it doesn't work right, let me know).

Try it out and let me know what you want changing.

I included a readme licensing its use in basically the same way that Daz licenses are + interactive just in case.  If I've worded it confusingly, I can change it later.

I set limits on the harness - you can change or remove those as needed.

It loads partly through the ground plane (sorry) - shift-D will make it jump on top.

It downloaded just fine! smiley