Want no shadows with PW Toon

LevonasLevonas Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in New Users

Simply put I want to use PW Toon shader and render with zero shadows to all for certain renders to be shadow free.
The issue I come up with is that I must use setting 4 for PW Toon and no matter what I get shadows, even with affecting down gloss, upping the diffuse, what have you.
What am I missing here? How to I kill all shadows for a flat no shadow image using PW Toon as my shader?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There are no shadows by default in DS, you have to turn them on in the lighting Parameters pane for each light you are using. If you are not using added lights, then shadows is not your problem, it may be a parameter of pwToon that is set in a way that you don't want..

Can you post an image of what it is you are seeing?

• LevonasLevonas Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

There are no shadows by default in DS, you have to turn them on in the lighting Parameters pane for each light you are using. If you are not using added lights, then shadows is not your problem, it may be a parameter of pwToon that is set in a way that you don't want..

Can you post an image of what it is you are seeing?

Here it is. Now I know throwing in lights will be the only way to truly brighten the image up, however, I am looking at just having the basic option to post work shadowing or just have a clean image without shadows. As you see the floor in the first image is all blacked out. The panel in the second one on the floor, centered, is black despite having a panel like the ones in front of the seat. I know what you mean about having no shadow by default as I have rendered ones clean and everything shows up fine, albeit dim.

Cabin_Test.png
    880 x 922 - 824K
    Cabin_Test_2.png
    880 x 922 - 854K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You will need to shine some light on these surfaces to get them to look right. When you do not add any lights to a scene, there is a default light (which doesn't appear in the scene tab), and immediatley you add a light to the scene, it is removed. It is usually called a headlamp, but it shines in a straight line from the camera.

What you need is a light pointing downwards onto the surfaces which look black, and then they should look the same as the other ones. There wont be any shadows unless you turn them on. It will give a bit more light to the scene, and you can adjust the intensity in the Parameters pane if needed.

edited December 1969

Alright. I figured that would be the end result but I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. I do not have the issue when doing an unaltered render at 4, only with PW Toon, so I was hoping I was missing something. Thanks.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think the best way to go would be the Base Uber Enviroment and set it to Ambient only. That should give you a full scene with all surfaces getting the same light. Of course that will give you longer render times.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I think the best way to go would be the Base Uber Enviroment and set it to Ambient only. That should give you a full scene with all surfaces getting the same light. Of course that will give you longer render times.

I like that. It does provide a better lighting scenario. Very good, thank you.