1080ti not working with DS 4.10

Ok, so I don't know what else to do....

I had a working set up of DAZ 9.4 with an older 770GTX in an ASUS X99 Pro. 5820k with 28 PCI lanes and an 850 evo SSD.  I recently did some upgrades, going to an 960 Evom.2 on the board's slot and installed a 1080ti and went to daz 10. 

Before the upgrade, I could render with both GPU and CPU no problem. Now, daz recognizes the 1080ti but wont render with the 1080ti, even if I uncheck CPU. It's not a memory issue as I loaded a base naked model and still, it only renders on CPU.

Its an ASUS Strix and installed the drivers that came with the bundle which were reelased in May 2017.

I also get an Illegal_Instruction in module C:/windows/system32\nvptxjitcompiler.dll. after a fresh install of  DAZ 10 and can't open the program. being adventerous, I go and delete that file, fire up DAZ 10 and try and render and same thing CPU only. 

I've gone through 4 times into the registry and manually taken out all associated DAZ files exluding my libraries.

The manual says slots 1 and 4 are X16 and I tried both of them - no go. I even tried the other 2  "8x slots" - still, the same thing. Daz see it but doesnt render. I cant figure out if it some conflict with lanes or maybe how the BIOS is configured or if daz 10 is too new or if 1080ti is too new...gah!

Next thing is to try old drivers but nonetheless this has been aggravating. Has anyone else had any experience with a similar situation and can provide technical guidance? I am at my wirts end, having a nice system for rendering that doesn't work - and I know it should because others on this forum run 1080ti's..

Thanks!

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

I also recently installed a 1080 Ti 11Gb drive (Aorus from Gigabyte). I'm using the latest driver (8843). This works fine; DAZ Studio (4.10.0.122) is rendering using both the 1080 and the 980 I have in my machine along with the CPU as well. This does sound like a Windows (or maybe Motherboard) issue rather than a DS issue. Maybe the Help Desk will recognise the error you are seeing.

I hope you can resolve this soon as you will definitely appreciate the rendering speed boost the 1080 gives.

• kyoreonakyoreona Posts: 147

I also recently installed a 1080 Ti 11Gb drive (Aorus from Gigabyte). I'm using the latest driver (8843). This works fine; DAZ Studio (4.10.0.122) is rendering using both the 1080 and the 980 I have in my machine along with the CPU as well. This does sound like a Windows (or maybe Motherboard) issue rather than a DS issue. Maybe the Help Desk will recognise the error you are seeing.

I hope you can resolve this soon as you will definitely appreciate the rendering speed boost the 1080 gives.

hi

may I ask some issue...

u can use both 1080 Ti and 980 when DAZ rendering ??

Now DAZ IRAY rendering work support SLI already ??

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Have you tried any other 3d applications using your GTX 1080 ti?
    Have you tried installing the most recent Nvidia drivers downloaded directly from Nvidia's website? (If you let windows update install your Nvidia drivers, your card will not work for Iray because the Microsoft published version does not support OpenGL)

kyoreona said:

hi

may I ask some issue...

u can use both 1080 Ti and 980 when DAZ rendering ??

Now DAZ IRAY rendering work support SLI already ??

No Iray does not and will not ever support SLI. (SLI is not a "rendering" technology, it is designed for videogaming)
    Iray has the ability to use every compatible Nvidia GPU that you have installed in your computer, they do not need any kind of interconnect between cards other than the PCIe slots on the motherboard to function as a rendering cluster.  As long as you have the PCIe slots, a powerful enough Power Supply, and a way to keep all of the installed cards cool you can use as many GPUs as you like.

Kyoreona, DS was using both 980Ti drives though they were not in SLI, and yes DS does use both 1080Ti and 980Ti when rendering with Iray; at least the log says so and it is faster!

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501

I had a similar issue way back when I did a driver update on my 960 4GB. I had to do a full driver uninstall -- there's a utility somewhere on nVidia's forums -- to remove all traces of it, then reinstall the driver component from scratch.

• mtl1 said:

I had a similar issue way back when I did a driver update on my 960 4GB. I had to do a full driver uninstall -- there's a utility somewhere on nVidia's forums -- to remove all traces of it, then reinstall the driver component from scratch.

That's DDU. Becareful using that,you can really wreck things.  A recent version caused me to lose a hdmi port.  

Kyoreona, DS was using both 980Ti drives though they were not in SLI, and yes DS does use both 1080Ti and 980Ti when rendering with Iray; at least the log says so and it is faster!

Thank you!

Additionally , I have heard that GPU rendering 's ability is decided by the minimum card ,is that true ?

For example, if the scene needs 4G video memory, I use a 3G-card and a 6G-card to render the scene , will it work alright ? or will the 3G-card drag the render-speed ?laugh

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

The slower card should not negatively impact the render speed.  It will just not contribute as much.  There have been a few people who reported a render speed sowdown when including an older slow CPU as a render device with a fast GPU.

If a scene needs 4GB of VRAM, the little 3GB card will not be used.  Because of how Iray works the entire scene is loaded into the VRAM for each card that's participating in the render.  If it does not fit, that card is dropped from the Render.

kyoreona said:

Thank you!

Additionally , I have heard that GPU rendering 's ability is decided by the minimum card ,is that true ?

For example, if the scene needs 4G video memory, I use a 3G-card and a 6G-card to render the scene , will it work alright ? or will the 3G-card drag the render-speed ?laugh

JamesJAB is right, my 1080+980 combo is definitely working faster than the dual 980.

JamesJAB said:

The slower card should not negatively impact the render speed.  It will just not contribute as much.  There have been a few people who reported a render speed sowdown when including an older slow CPU as a render device with a fast GPU.

If a scene needs 4GB of VRAM, the little 3GB card will not be used.  Because of how Iray works the entire scene is loaded into the VRAM for each card that's participating in the render.  If it does not fit, that card is dropped from the Render.

kyoreona said:

Thank you!

JamesJAB is right, my 1080+980 combo is definitely working faster than the dual 980.

thank u both ! it solved my issue clearly !!laugh