Where are the Daz Galleries?

Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Many of the community members have expressed a strong longing for the return of the Daz sponsored Galleries. It means a great deal to many of us that Daz3d acknowledges people who are doing great work with Daz3d vended software.

In the past I have read that the primary reason for continued lack of galleries was to do with lack of image flagging, no way to flag for nudity and the like.

Maintaining the integrity of the site must come first so I fully understand why lack of flagging ability would trump all other considerations. But yet more than a year later......................still no Galleries.

This seems highly unfortunate. I'd say that the lack of galleries is the biggest problem with the site at this stage, which means vast improvements have been made in many areas. I must say a lot of fantastic work has been done. The store is an ongoing battle obviously and will never be perfect so there's no need to keep the galleries on hold any longer. Keep plugging away at the store, but try to slide the galleries in there too!

Galleries, along with making the Daz3D website an interesting place to visit visually, also gives users an opportunity to see Daz content at work. That to me was a major selling point. I often find myself nowadays unwilling to make purchases I probably would have made a year and a half ago because I simply don't know how the darned thing looks when rendered well.

Many of the Promo renders I see in the store shock me with how little they do to show off the content flatteringly. The Galleries allow everyday people with skill the originating artists may lack that can often showcase the content better than the Promos. Galleries help sell content. That connection seems obvious to me.

I realize that Galleries are a pain in the butt to maintain, obviously. Someone's got to have the task of organizing it and keeping up with it and making sure that the whole thing remains fair and unbiased as possible. I do remember the galleries being a source of much discussion in the past. Not having galleries could take a certain amount of added work load off the backs of some people within the company, and that is fair to consider as well. Galleries require some degree of staffing. You also need to be able to provide an awards system, which can be expensive. But I'm guessing with my layman's experience that the giveaways are still profitable in the end. But I'm no economist.

Whatever the reasoning or combination of possible reasons, I for one sorely miss the Galleries and I'm sure a lot of other people do too.

Are there any ideas on when they might return? Any insight would be gladly appreciated.

Best wishes all.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I would give the stock answer, but we always get roundly cursed if we use that 4 letter word beginning with "S" :coolsmile:

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I would give the stock answer, but we always get roundly cursed if we use that 4 letter word beginning with "S" :coolsmile:

No, no, not the s word! Now it will take even longer!

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,438
    edited December 1969

It took months to get avatars and signatures.
    Which means a whole gallery must be "just around the corner" . :roll:

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 1969

I had to...

DAZ_SOON.jpg
    646 x 768 - 212K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I had to...

Somebody had to, so it might as well have been you. ~LOL~
    edited December 1969

That render should be posted on the Soon Game thread :)

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    I had to...

That render should be posted on the Soon Game thread :)
    :bug:

But it's too awesome to twitch at . . .

edited December 1969

wancow said:

That's just a private DeviantArt account abandoned since last year.

edited December 1969

They haven't posted since last year, but it's still the DAZ account.

edited December 1969

wancow said:

I know, but that's of no use to us. We can't post there, It's just DAZ account at Deviant.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    wancow said:

I know, but that's of no use to us. We can't post there, It's just DAZ account at Deviant.
    It's currently of no use to us. If the DAZzlers started maintaining it again, we could use it.
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    wancow said:

It's currently of no use to us. If the DAZzlers started maintaining it again, we could use it.

Its just their personal account, we can't use it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Much more sensible to have a Gallery, right here , on this site. I am not quite certain why certain people seem to want to get everyone to concentrate on DA, instead of doing what Rashad has donw and show DAZ 3D that we really do want and need those Galleries.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Much more sensible to have a Gallery, right here , on this site. I am not quite certain why certain people seem to want to get everyone to concentrate on DA, instead of doing what Rashad has donw and show DAZ 3D that we really do want and need those Galleries.

Totally agree - I would love to see the return of the galleries here.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Yeah, I totally agree.
    I hope we get one someday. Given the purpose of this site, it's only natural.

edited December 1969

When were we ever able to post to DAZ Galleries native to the DAZ site? I don't remember that at all...

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317
    edited December 1969

Before the site change. Artzone also had personal galleries for members.

edited May 2013

wancow said:
    When were we ever able to post to DAZ Galleries native to the DAZ site? I don't remember that at all...

Before they switched to the new site, exactly a year ago.
    There were diferent categories and you got $25 for each image that made it into the monthly gallery. :down:

Post edited by Soto on
  • ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

DA is a good place for artwork, BUT it is not a dedicated site for this business. I made mention before, to sell visual products, you need a place to highlight them. The Art Studio threads are nice, but personally I enjoyed the galleries where people strived to show their best for a given month. The galleries for DAZ need to be a priority now, a year waiting for them is entirely too long.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

I agree, it would be really nice to get some galleries back, here on the DAZ site.