Philemo ☼ Alembic importer still possible?

I just bought a pile of DAZ PA HD men today and while I can static obj import them into Carrara in full HD morph glory or for that matter abc export them to Octane standalone animated and also export a Carrara scene it would be lovely to abc import them into Carrara as vertex animations too.

So was wondering if you were still considering creating an Alembic plugin after having bought OR4C?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i never figuredout what Alembic means.  is it a NLA thing?

• is a sort of obj with animated morph series

• I must say it's not anymore on my priority list. Right now, I'm working on improving the hair convertor plugin. After that, it will be a plugin dealing with UV ( if I succeed in implementing it). After that, I don't know.
  • actually no real urgency my alembic animation today imported into Octane 3 with his hair flying off and anatomical elements moving to shoulder so the DAZ studio end was not working great!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    th3Digit said:

is a sort of obj with animated morph series

It's like the .MDD plugin (Lightwave format for animation), Fenric has made a good plugin for Carrara (for use with Marvelous Designer, C4D, for ex.).

Alembic is more recent and could be useful with Realflow.

• I am not getting Fenric’s plugin to work with D|S mdd export sadly

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    Philemo said:
    I must say it's not anymore on my priority list. Right now, I'm working on improving the hair convertor plugin. After that, it will be a plugin dealing with UV ( if I succeed in implementing it). After that, I don't know.

Cool. I love that hair convertor! I keep messing with it trying for different end results. It's amazing how it also reads in the shader shaping elements! So cool! I'm just trying to figure out how to get the ends of the hair cleaned up. But wow is this ever crazy-awesome stuff! Thanks for such an amazing invention!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited December 2017
    Philemo said:
    I must say it's not anymore on my priority list. Right now, I'm working on improving the hair convertor plugin. After that, it will be a plugin dealing with UV ( if I succeed in implementing it). After that, I don't know.

Maybe something like this? Carrara and Hexagon have a lot of similarities.

2017-12-04_0943.png
    1079 x 606 - 379K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • I don't understand. What's the transformation between the two images?

I ment this Hexagon tool

https://youtu.be/2IdUk4TEPeo

• Vyusur said:

I ment this Hexagon tool

https://youtu.be/2IdUk4TEPeo

I see. You're right, it's very interesting.

The only entry point I found in the vertex modeler is through a modifier which could do for a kind of replicator, but not on a support. Also, modifiers produce only triangles, which could be seen as a drawback.

I still have to find a way to add a menu entry in the vertex modeler. After that, the logic seems simple enough. Carrara SDK provides entry points in the assemble and shader room only.

Heh, what a pity. It would be a great improvement for me. There are a great deal of different cool features in Carrara, but I still lack of tools for precise architectural (and not only!) modeling.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

I still haven't tried (because I don't have it, for one reason) ArchiTools for Carrara, but I'd imagine that's entirely different than what you're looking for.

I still haven't tried (because I don't have it, for one reason) ArchiTools for Carrara, but I'd imagine that's entirely different than what you're looking for.

I have it and I tried it a couple of times. It's a toy for those who don't care of topology.

• Is topology important for a building?

Extremely important!

• Vyusur said:

Extremely important!

I'm not doubting, just eager to know more smiley. I was in the impression topology was important for deformable meshes, to ensure it would bend as intended. So, and it was the (maybe cryptic) meaning of my question, how is it important for a solid, rigid and unmovable object ?

Having used ArchiTools, I must say the UV (parametrization) is not what I would have done (I really prefer the way the defunct UrbanPad was doing it). But, it's the way it is and not that difficult to adapt to.

• Vyusur said:

Extremely important!

I'm not doubting, just eager to know more smiley. I was in the impression topology was important for deformable meshes, to ensure it would bend as intended. So, and it was the (maybe cryptic) meaning of my question, how is it important for a solid, rigid and unmovable object ?

Having used ArchiTools, I must say the UV (parametrization) is not what I would have done (I really prefer the way the defunct UrbanPad was doing it). But, it's the way it is and not that difficult to adapt to.

Saying “architecture building” I mean something unique, not typical city building. Something like my Gothic Arch Gallery: https://youtu.be/jRsoVJb3ids

There are no one triangle in my final geometry. And it would be so easy to place poles or columns on polys or vertices of your choice using Hexagon amazing features.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

Hexagon can save in native .car files.  It is not uncommon for people to model in Hexagon and render in Carrara. I am very happy that Daz is trying to improve the stability of Hexagon and provide a 64 bit version.  

Vyusur said:

And it would be so easy to place poles or columns on polys or vertices of your choice using Hexagon amazing features.