Specific fashion model style characters?

Not sure how to better formulate. But would like to hear suggestions on character morphs that look like... i dunno, those high fashion models of recent years and not only?

I know people here say how most of characters are already like models or actresses, but that's not what i mean. I mean that specific type whom i cant currently describe better. But those are often encountered among those fashion model. And as i said, i don't mean figure shape, i talk about faces! I notice some pattern of that one kind of appearance which lately is often among them. 

Maybe, hopefully, you may understand what i mean and maybe say better. Anyway, looking forward thoughts etc.  I'm sorry i cant explain better or even provide IRL examples yet (i need to research perhaps). Oh, and even if i try name someone.. well, perhaps Kate Moss in her younger years would be close, but no, that's a bit different.

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Not sure how to better formulate. But would like to hear suggestions on character morphs that look like... i dunno, those high fashion models of recent years and not only?

I know people here say how most of characters are already like models or actresses, but that's not what i mean. I mean that specific type whom i cant currently describe better. But those are often encountered among those fashion model. And as i said, i don't mean figure shape, i talk about faces! I notice some pattern of that one kind of appearance which lately is often among them. 

Maybe, hopefully, you may understand what i mean and maybe say better. Anyway, looking forward thoughts etc.  I'm sorry i cant explain better or even provide IRL examples yet (i need to research perhaps). Oh, and even if i try name someone.. well, perhaps Kate Moss in her younger years would be close, but no, that's a bit different.

That could be done be dialing in emanciated in the DAZ Original Body Morphs if you own them. I'm not sure if it makes the face look more emanciated though as I've never paid attention. The Genesis 8 models already look low fat - what yu need to do is emphasize that with the style makeup they use on the fashion models on the runways and to use the same lighting as they use on the runways, as best as you can determine.

Dail in morphs on the face to make the nose thinner and longer, jaw line sharper, face longer or thinner too.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited November 2017
    He's not talking about body shape he's talking about faces. There really is a "look" that isn't just "thin."
    Post edited by agent unawares on
  • IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited November 2017

Sorry, you're not giving much to go on in your description. Can you post some pictures?

Other than that, I would suggest Gemma Ward. Her face shape is just a little off of the "standard archetypal classic beauty", but that just makes her even more beautiful in a way; certainly destinctive and memorable.

A couple of pics to illustrate:

Gemma Ward1.jpg
    600 x 854 - 110K
    Gemma-Ward (1).jpg
    500 x 666 - 142K
    gemma-ward.jpg
    500 x 684 - 34K
    Post edited by IsaacNewton on
    He's not talking about body shape he's talking about faces. There really is a "look" that isn't just "thin."

You have to read my entire post to see that I did talk specifically about faces.

• He's not talking about body shape he's talking about faces. There really is a "look" that isn't just "thin."

You have to read my entire post to see that I did talk specifically about faces.

I'm sorry, I must have misread. It looked like every suggestion you made was targeted to making them look thinner.

I'm sorry, I must have misread. It looked like every suggestion you made was targeted to making them look thinner.

No problem but no, the last paragraph mentioned the face and how to make the DAZ faces look thinner with DAZ morphs and lighting. 

edited November 2017

No problem but no, the last paragraph mentioned the face and how to make the DAZ faces look thinner with DAZ morphs and lighting. 

I can't stop laughing. Maybe I did read right.

EDIT: I really didn't phrase myself at all right, though, so I'm still going to apologize. There really is a look separate from thinness I believe, but your advice was still applicable. I think I'm in a bad mood today.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

Sorry, you're not giving much to go on in your description. Can you post some pictures?

Other than that, I would suggest Gemma Ward. Her face shape is just a little off of the "standard archetypal classic beauty", but that just makes her even more beautiful in a way; certainly destinctive and memorable.

She looks 12 years oldindecision

edited November 2017

I went and looked through a bunch of (Western) high fashion models to try to pin down what I'm remembering, and one of the distinctly "in" features seems to be high cheekbones. Often the faces tend to be relatively long-looking (I agree with nonesuch here). Almost square face structure from the forehead down to the jaw corners, often the cheekbones stick out past this. High forehead appears pretty often. Also, there's a tendency towards androgyny. I'm not seeing any really obvious trends with lip shape though a pouty lower lip might be a thing.

Contouring makeup would help pull off this look on more models but I don't think anyone has created this for DAZ characters.

And yes, a model can be plus size and still have this exact "look."

Ashley Graham (Getty Images)

ashleygraham.jpg
    683 x 1025 - 125K

It's really more about how you cloth them, pose them, light them, put them in a typical fashion model context to turn them into fashion models. I never paid any attention to things like this before DAZ 3D but really the difference between Jane Doe and high fashion is simply lighting and a bit of makeup when it comes down to it. 

• Sorry, you're not giving much to go on in your description. Can you post some pictures?

Yeah sorry!..

Your examples showcasing Gemma were kind of weird for impression at fist, but when i checked wikipedia article... Hey, she played that mermaid in Pirates of Carribean! She fitted that role pretty good, i remember.

Ok, i may provide some examples too soon.

nonesuch00, thanks for idea, but i still would agree that "thin" is not everything in this case. Though your post about cloth-light-pose is important, too. But! As said above, there is definetely some "look" lately which fashion agencies scouts aim for when search...

She looks 12 years old

Would that be because of her exotic proportions of eyes, and how lines of face are, etc?  In case with Gemma, you can look photos and compare how she looked at 16, 23 and 30, for example.

Imho though such comments sound a bit harsh but understandable. But, people are different. Some look like 14 at 24 and some look like 28 in 18. Might be genes, food etc. Once noticed how people born in 1995-1998 were looking "older" than those who were born in 1989-1991 

wolf359 said:

Not sure what 12 year olds look like in your neighbourhood, wolf, but I haven't seen any looking like Gemma Ward. Remember, not all women have this shape:

brugman-1.jpeg
    640 x 640 - 43K
  • She started modeling around 15 I think, so some of those photos might be on the younger side. But she's definitely not 12 in any of them, and she stayed young looking forever thanks to her features.

Yeah sorry!..

Your examples showcasing Gemma were kind of weird for impression at fist, but when i checked wikipedia article... Hey, she played that mermaid in Pirates of Carribean! She fitted that role pretty good, i remember.

Ok, i may provide some examples too soon.

nonesuch00, thanks for idea, but i still would agree that "thin" is not everything in this case. Though your post about cloth-light-pose is important, too. But! As said above, there is definetely some "look" lately which fashion agencies scouts aim for when search...

She looks 12 years old

Would that be because of her exotic proportions of eyes, and how lines of face are, etc?  In case with Gemma, you can look photos and compare how she looked at 16, 23 and 30, for example.

Imho though such comments sound a bit harsh but understandable. But, people are different. Some look like 14 at 24 and some look like 28 in 18. Might be genes, food etc. Once noticed how people born in 1995-1998 were looking "older" than those who were born in 1989-1991 

Well it you don't think thin is the impression those fashion designers are going after you have to look at the clothing and note that it is designed usually to drape such that it even makes large people appear thinner. That goes for the clothing colors and color patterns, lighting and makeup too. They segregate designs for Plus-sized and Big and Tall for men, which I've heard of plus-sized female fashion shows as they take much pride and go out of their way is announcing it but I have yet to hear of a Big and Tall Male fashion show. I've also failed to hear of a very short and midget fashion shows although I reckon maybe they have them. Much of it isn't designed to be practical anywhere but social events such as parties or at runway shows. They aren't wearing spandex or other more modest functionally created clothing most often, at least not the most visible outer layers of the runway shows and magazine spreads that I've seen in my limited views of the fashion world. Of course, somewhere they are being more practical with clothing designs because that it is those designs most of the rest of us wind up with.

Then again, I only am citing my observations of the limited intrusions fashion design world makes in the world of average USA male who doesn't watch TV or read much news. I'm not a fshionista, I still have and wear a red flannel shirt I collected aluminum cans for and walked three miles on the shoulder of a busy highway in winter to buy for $5 39 year ago. Can you say cheap & poor? laugh Vogue should not come to me for new ideals. laugh

So make or use drapey, non-clingy dark clothing and light the render to create harsh, dramatic shadows and I think you are good to go.

• I think some Victoria Secret models would be nice

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    wolf359 said:

Not sure what 12 year olds look like in your neighbourhood, wolf, but I haven't seen any looking like Gemma Ward. Remember, not all women have this shape:

I see 15 yr olds where I live that look like this

Gemma does look really young, but that is probably why she is successful as a model. She is 30 now and still looks young.

It's really more about how you cloth them, pose them, light them, put them in a typical fashion model context to turn them into fashion models. I never paid any attention to things like this before DAZ 3D but really the difference between Jane Doe and high fashion is simply lighting and a bit of makeup when it comes down to it. 

Having been around some models and that scene, we'll agree to disagree.

edited December 2017
    wolf359 said:

I see 15 yr olds where I live that look like this

Gemma does look really young, but that is probably why she is successful as a model. She is 30 now and still looks young.

Indeed. It is unwise to judge a persons age on looks and body shape alone. Take Lolita Richi, a russian model, as an example. Ms. Richi is 16 years old in this photo. Quite a difference between her and Ms Ward.

rs_634x814-140819151030-634.Lolita-Richi-Human-Barbie.3.ms.081914.jpg
    634 x 814 - 36K
    Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • Past as FuturePast as Future Posts: 141
    edited December 2017

I think some Victoria Secret models would be nice

Eh, actually i think Victoria Secret models are much closer to characters that we see for daz/poser. Or that was my impression anyway.

Ok, i'm back with some examples i had in mind! See attachments (if i'll manage to attach them).

Would like to know if you think there is something that they all share besides being models, during youth years and shot in glamour melancholia manner. For me, there is something in faces, maybe they are "irregular" compared to more general "beauty standards" (sorry dont know better phrase). 

And possibly  say if some characters for daz resemble them

amanda nystrm.jpg
    362 x 500 - 34K
    amelie roth.jpeg
    333 x 500 - 35K
    ann sophie butenschoen.jpeg
    387 x 500 - 33K
    asta fjeldhagen.jpeg
    375 x 500 - 54K
    julia melkerbach.jpeg
    375 x 500 - 55K
    lea.jpeg
    375 x 500 - 44K
    Post edited by Past as Future on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited December 2017

I think you may look forward checking some books on fashion photography... To get a "feel" of how you should do lighting, posing etc. and then imitate in CG.

Post edited by akmerlow on

I agree with akmerlow. Check out some book on how to do fashion photography and buy some copies of actual fashion magazines like Voque or Cosmopolitam or their are others I'm sure. They all heavily edit the pictures they take you know.

• I see, thanks. 

And regarding face shapes/lines, is these uncommon from daz character morphs or i havent seen similars? 

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252

The main things I noticed are :

The lips are slightly puffy

The lower jaw line is slightly longer, as if she's jutting out her chin

The cheeks are more rounded and not sucked in

The expressions are on the sadder side of neutral

Most of this has to do with the pose, but the general shape of the face has to be there as well.   I'm sorry that I can't name any characters for you, but IF I get a chance, I'l look.

Gus

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252

I just took a look in the sale going on at the moment and the first thjing in the list of PC+ items (for me) was this.

Distinctive Features V4

https://www.daz3d.com/distinctive-features-v4

Some of the faces have most of the shape I noticed above.  If you want to get them on different generations of characters, GENX does that I believe. and some, you might want to use a different texture on.  Most of the ones you posted were pale skinned.

Gus