Questions of creating custom 3D figurines for sale?

An idea came to me while I was working.  I saw a sign at work about Secret Santa and thought of offering a commission a 3D figurine printed via that 3D plugin offered free right now.  Of course I am not sure how to handle that as the gift is supposed to be around $20 and in my opinion that will cover the commissioned work and set up.  I know it is not enough to cover the 3D figures or the printing cost.

My question can I sell the 3D figures I either order via the 3D printer or when I get a 3D printer, stuff I print myself?  

Basically my question is what do I need to buy or get in order to legally sell a figuring of Lovely Monique in A Pose with a Clipboard or a N(early N)aked Victoria in a Temple with a Sword. (actually near an alter to make it look like she is in a temple)

I want to get a 3D printer but until then I have to get the primed 3D figurines about a hundred a pop.   Also what paint do I need to use for these figurines?  I got the paint brushes on the way but not sure what paint to get.

I keep rambling but I want to try to do commissioned 3D figurines based on Daz figures

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2017

Basically no commercial use per the  EULA.

I hear rendo sells extended license that lets you print 100k.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • I want to get a 3D printer but until then I have to get the primed 3D figurines about a hundred a pop.   Also what paint do I need to use for these figurines?  I got the paint brushes on the way but not sure what paint to get.

I asked several times what type of resin they were using so I could figure this out, and they always just told me "resin" like it meant something.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

An idea came to me while I was working.  I saw a sign at work about Secret Santa and thought of offering a commission a 3D figurine printed via that 3D plugin offered free right now.  Of course I am not sure how to handle that as the gift is supposed to be around $20 and in my opinion that will cover the commissioned work and set up.  I know it is not enough to cover the 3D figures or the printing cost.

My question can I sell the 3D figures I either order via the 3D printer or when I get a 3D printer, stuff I print myself?  

Basically my question is what do I need to buy or get in order to legally sell a figuring of Lovely Monique in A Pose with a Clipboard or a N(early N)aked Victoria in a Temple with a Sword. (actually near an alter to make it look like she is in a temple)

I want to get a 3D printer but until then I have to get the primed 3D figurines about a hundred a pop.   Also what paint do I need to use for these figurines?  I got the paint brushes on the way but not sure what paint to get.

I keep rambling but I want to try to do commissioned 3D figurines based on Daz figures

That will not be allowed.    At the moment the EULA stresses that 3D Printing is only for personal use.   No Commercial usage.
    I Quote

The creation of three-dimensional physical representations (3D-print, molded copy, CNC-routed copy, and the like) of Content or any three-dimensional art derived from the Content is permitted only for personal, non-commercial use by the User. Additionally, the user may not grant other entities or individuals the right to produce such physical representations of the Content except for the sole purpose of providing the print to the User for their personal use.
    All other rights with respect to the Content and its use are reserved by DAZ and its licensors.

• Use Acrylic paints.  I like Tamiya Acrylics, others like Gaming Workshop.  There are many Acrylics to choose from.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,739
    Chohole said:

That will not be allowed.    At the moment the EULA stresses that 3D Printing is only for personal use.   No Commercial usage.
    I Quote

The creation of three-dimensional physical representations (3D-print, molded copy, CNC-routed copy, and the like) of Content or any three-dimensional art derived from the Content is permitted only for personal, non-commercial use by the User. Additionally, the user may not grant other entities or individuals the right to produce such physical representations of the Content except for the sole purpose of providing the print to the User for their personal use.
    All other rights with respect to the Content and its use are reserved by DAZ and its licensors.

What if I used 3D objects that I created myself but still used the 3D print plugin.  Or used open source like make human?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992

Anything you have full rights over, you can make as many prints as you like. Same goes when the EULA of an item from another store allows you commercial 3D prints.

So, if you go into Blender or Hexagon, and make your own christmas tree & parcels, you can have that printed and sold.

As for MakingHuman, yes, accoding gto their Wiki, you can: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/FAQ:Can_I_sell_models_created_with_MakeHuman%3F

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,057
    Chohole said:

I Quote

What if I used 3D objects that I created myself but still used the 3D print plugin.  Or used open source like make human?

If the content is 100% yours then that would be ok.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601

Interesting question, just made this in Max and used DS to render and texture for Iray, If a model used Iray shaders or rigging from genesis in DS, would that still be allowed even though textures, shaders or rigging don't transfer over to the printing service or to the final printed figurine.

xmassign.jpg
    1489 x 670 - 966K
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

Interesting question, just made this in Max and used DS to render and texture for Iray, If a model used Iray shaders or rigging from genesis in DS, would that still be allowed even though textures, shaders or rigging don't transfer over to the printing service or to the final printed figurine.

You wouldn't be using any of their stuff so...it has nothing to do with permissions at that point.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,057

If you use Genesis rigging you create a derivative of Genesis, so you'd better check with Daz...

You could always make it an object before uploading, strip it of textures, and send in a render of what you want.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

If it required Genesis rigging to get it to its final pose it is a derivative of Genesis and removing rigging after the fact doesn't change that.

• jestmart said:

If it required Genesis rigging to get it to its final pose it is a derivative of Genesis and removing rigging after the fact doesn't change that.

This feels like it would have about as much weight as claiming that someone drew a character with the same arm and leg lengths as a character in a painting they purchased from you, therefore they're infringing on your copyright.

• jestmart said:

This feels like it would have about as much weight as claiming that someone drew a character with the same arm and leg lengths as a character in a painting they purchased from you, therefore they're infringing on your copyright.

No, if it used a Daz rig then it is a derivative by definition.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 2017
    jestmart said:

I'm not talking about DAZ's stance here. I'm talking about whether you can argue "Their original model has the same number of bends as mine" as an infringement claim, which is what this boils down to if the skeleton isn't included with the model.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • BeeMKay said:

Anything you have full rights over, you can make as many prints as you like. Same goes when the EULA of an item from another store allows you commercial 3D prints.

So, if you go into Blender or Hexagon, and make your own christmas tree & parcels, you can have that printed and sold.

As for MakingHuman, yes, accoding gto their Wiki, you can: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/FAQ:Can_I_sell_models_created_with_MakeHuman%3F

https://www.sharecg.com/v/85129/view/21/DAZ-Studio/MakeHUman-v1.1.0-A-Pose-Figure

If you need a rigged MakeHuman base mesh to make your 3D Printed figure I made one and put it up on ShareCG. I didn't make any JCMs for it so you might need to do a little tweaking in Hesagon after you've posed it.

• jestmart said:

I'm not talking about DAZ's stance here. I'm talking about whether you can argue "Their original model has the same number of bends as mine" as an infringement claim, which is what this boils down to if the skeleton isn't included with the model.

The question was could the rigging be used to help make a stand-alone figure, to which the answer is no - no part or aspect of a Daz figure may be used as a shortcut to making a new stand-alone item for distribution (without Daz' permission ahead of distribution). If someone wants to create original content they must do the work themselves, as a general rule - Daz allows its original figures to be used as a short cut in making add-ons, that is already a relaxation of the minimum rights that might be granted.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,739

Okay can I use a Daz figure to make gifts to people?  Would I get in trouble if the following situation happens?

I get a 3D printer and use it to print Sakura dressed up nice and on a stand.  I paint it and make sure she is all pretty.  I give it to a guy I have a crush on and finds out he does not feel the same way so he sells it on eBay or something.  I made nothing and gained nothing other than a broken heart.  Would that still be considered commercial usage of 3D printed Sakura?

On other thoughts is it okay to have a crush on more than one guy?  I got a crush on a guy that looks similar to Will Smith but I also got a crush on the red head guy who works at the gaming store at the mall. Or is that a topic for another day and another thread?

Basically first question was about non commercial usage of Daz figures.  I know I cannot use Sakura in any commercial usage other than in 2D renders only.  Basically what if for whatever reason it gets sold to someone down the road, would that be against the rules?  Another question I just thought of what if I print a 3D figurine of Sakura and paint on a picture of the figurine on a canvas board that I later sell?  It is a 2D painting of a 3D print of a Daz figure, so would that be considered commercial usage of the 3D printed copy of a Daz figure?  

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

Okay can I use a Daz figure to make gifts to people?  Would I get in trouble if the following situation happens?

I get a 3D printer and use it to print Sakura dressed up nice and on a stand.  I paint it and make sure she is all pretty.  I give it to a guy I have a crush on and finds out he does not feel the same way so he sells it on eBay or something.  I made nothing and gained nothing other than a broken heart.  Would that still be considered commercial usage of 3D printed Sakura?

On other thoughts is it okay to have a crush on more than one guy?  I got a crush on a guy that looks similar to Will Smith but I also got a crush on the red head guy who works at the gaming store at the mall. Or is that a topic for another day and another thread?

Basically first question was about non commercial usage of Daz figures.  I know I cannot use Sakura in any commercial usage other than in 2D renders only.  Basically what if for whatever reason it gets sold to someone down the road, would that be against the rules?  Another question I just thought of what if I print a 3D figurine of Sakura and paint on a picture of the figurine on a canvas board that I later sell?  It is a 2D painting of a 3D print of a Daz figure, so would that be considered commercial usage of the 3D printed copy of a Daz figure?  

Personal or non-commerical use means YOU not your crush. It seems you're skirting around the same question that's already been answered. Anything licenced to you has to kept in YOUR possession. The ony thing you could sell or give away as a 2D image of that figure in a render.

edited January 2018

Personal or non-commerical use means YOU not your crush. It seems you're skirting around the same question that's already been answered. Anything licenced to you has to kept in YOUR possession. The ony thing you could sell or give away as a 2D image of that figure in a render.

Noooooooooope DAZ already confirmed gifts are personal use. As is pure common sense.

Noooooooooope DAZ already confirmed gifts are personal use. As is pure common sense.

Unfortuately there isn't a way to make that distinction in the long run and a reason why I wouldn't see it would be accepted because of people skirting rules., I doubt it's that cut and dry. Especially in the issue brought up that someone gave it as a gift and sold it. That would be a laspe in the agreement.. that's how common sense works wink

• The existing license allows only for your own personal use of 3D prints.

• Okay can I use a Daz figure to make gifts to people?  Would I get in trouble if the following situation happens?

Unfortuately there isn't a way to make that distinction in the long run and a reason why I wouldn't see it would be accepted because of people skirting rules., I doubt it's that cut and dry. Especially in the issue brought up that someone gave it as a gift and sold it. That would be a laspe in the agreement.. that's how common sense works wink

I'm not talking about whatever hypothetical thing a crush might do with the item after, I'm responding to this claim "Anything licenced to you has to kept in YOUR possession" which has already been thoroughly debunked by DAZ.

Thanks Richard. smiley

edited January 2018

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/211311/my-first-gameprint-order-with-images-of-progress-it-s-arrived/p2

BeeMKay:

giving as private gifts, like, for your friends, is non commercial so that should be okay.

Chohole:

Um... no, re-read the license. The EULA states: "The creation of three-dimensional physical representations (3D-print, molded copy, CNC-routed copy, and the like) of Content or any three-dimensional art derived from the Content is permitted only for personal, non-commercial use by the User. Additionally, the user may not grant other entities or individuals the right to produce such physical representations of the Content except for the sole purpose of providing the print to the User for their personal use.

Some Content offers User the ability to purchase an add-on license for Commercial 3D Printing. The additional rights granted to User for a specific piece of Content due to the purchase of such an add-on license is outlined in the 5.0 Addendum to this Agreement."

BeeMKay:

I've send in a ticket to customer support to clarify if gifting the print to your friend is okay.

If that's not covered, I'm not going to order a print that I've been working to set up all week. It's supposed to be a present for a really good friend of mine.

Okay... here's the answer from customer service ( request (#256665):

A gift is personal, not commercial.
    Commercial means you are going to sell it. This is prohibited by the current EULA.

So, it's okay to make it a b-day present or wedding day present... (Note: That was really a fast answer by CS. smiley)

I wish people would stop trying to scare off everyone who asks the question of gifting. Yes, you can.

• Neal_2591351Neal_2591351 Posts: 21
    edited January 2018

Does anyone know the "WHY" behind DAZ3D not allowing commercial use in 3D printing?  Why do they allow only "hard copies" of renders (i.e. comic books which are 3D representaitons of work as the ink stacks on the paper) and 2D electronic renders used in things like on-line work?

I have been trying to 3D print some of my stuff and by the time its ready to hit the machine all you are left with is an "outline", in 3D, of their content.  Not really anymore than a comic book really.  Instead of reproducing the image on paper in ink you are doing it in plastic. Actually even less than ink or electronic as you, currently, don't get the color, lighting, shading, detail and other content included in the DAZ3D work space when you reproduce it in 3D.

Thanks,

Neal

Edit:  By the time you get done post processing a scene in DAZ3D for final 3D printing you are actually using and presenting to the public LESS of their content than if you just stuck to the EULA for commercial work.

Post edited by Neal_2591351 on
  • I wish people would stop trying to scare off everyone who asks the question of gifting. Yes, you can.

No you can't, without asking support. A response to one user is not an official relaxation of the terms of the EULA, it is just a response to a particular user. Unless daz makes a public pronouncement or changes the EULA then the answer is still no by default.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    edited January 2018
    I wish people would stop trying to scare off everyone who asks the question of gifting. Yes, you can.

No you can't, without asking support. A response to one user is not an official relaxation of the terms of the EULA, it is just a response to a particular user. Unless daz makes a public pronouncement or changes the EULA then the answer is still no by default.

Richard, I have to question this position.  How does the difference in what content is used or which user is using it change the definition of "gift" as "personal" and not "commercial" use?  It cannot logically change on a case-by-case basis.

DAZ really should specify PRECISELY what constitutes 'personal use' vs. 'commercial use' of their products in their EULA.  It's very non-specific, and as such you get these interpretation arguments.

Now, that said, I understand why DAZ would prefer to not state explicitly in the EULA that gifts are considered personal use, and non-commercial.....as that could open a potentially serious loophole (give it as a gift and 'request' a donation for your generosity?)  that has caused lots of places problems before.  Technically, they don't HAVE to 'donate'.....but it can still be argued that it is 'payment' instead of 'donation', which would place it into commercial use.  It's a rather nebulous set of arguments, which copyright laws have run afoul of before.

Similarly, I would argue your statement about using the rig is not permitted without commercial use approval.  This is similar logic to demanding everyone who makes a drawing with a Faber #2 pencil having to contact Faber for permission to sell that drawing.  The rig itself is NOT present in the final mesh, so it is NOT included.  It was simply used to shape the mesh.  If they included a copy of the rig in the mesh, or if the mesh itself is DAZ owned, then it makes sense.  Otherwise, it seems a bit ridiculous, even from a legal perspective.

BUT, to everyone else, please remember......a company can SUE you for such things REGARDLESS of whether or not there is legal merit or precedence.  Then it's up to you to defend against it.  And most individuals don't have a huge legal deptartment or a copyright lawyer on retainer....so if there is ANY question, either consult an attorney or get written permission from the rights holders BEFORE you do anything.

Post edited by hphoenix on
    edited January 2018

Since my CS-ticket gets quoted: Actually, I asked CS back then in a more general way, not just for a specific product that I wanted to gift.

Nevertheless, I put in another support ticket requesting an official clarification in regards to gifting the 3D print, because, honestly, this hickhack is getting rather annoying. I sincerly hope that someone from the DAZ team will have the time to actually post something in the forum, or that the reply I get from CS will state things clear enough that this can be cleared up once and for all. 

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

Good idea.

This discussion has been closed.