Welcome to the May 2013 Freebie Challenge: "Yesterday's Future"

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060
    edited May 2013

robkelk said:
    I do believe, back on page one, that I promised a MINI-CONTEST this month. Well, here it is...

The Crossover Story

We've all done it at some time or another - put elements from two (or more) different works into the same setting. Star Destroyer vs. Borg Cube? Marty McFly overshooting his target time and ending up playing the Game of Thrones? Cylons joining the Men in Black ... or enrolling at Hogwarts? Or maybe your crossover is even less plausible than any of those? Who cares, as long as it's entertaining!

In keeping with this month's theme, please use at least one sci-fi or SF story in your crossover. However, you aren't limited to retro sci-fi for the mini-contest.

Use what you need to use - I know that most of the freebie uniforms out there need paid base clothing - but please use more free items than paid items.

The person who submits the best entry gets a $15 Daz GC, paid for out of my own pocket. The Mini-Contest closes at 23:59, Friday, May 24 - you have one week to enter. Please mention whether your entries are for the Mini-Contest or the monthly Challenge.

And I'm sure you can do a better job than this:

As a painter we all probably know would have said, that's a nice, happy, space station! :lol:

Dana

happy_station.jpg
    596 x 339 - 38K
    Post edited by DanaTA on
  • DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Here ya go ...

MINI-CONTEST ENTRY

SCREW YOU NUTS, I'LL FIND ANOTHER PHONE BOOTH!

Michael 4 in the Uzilite Super Hero costume by wusamah at Renderosity
    Coupla Daleks from jhoagland at ShareCG
    Boardwalk Sector by herminio at ShareCG
    Daily Planet Globe by aldemps at ShareCG
    Old British Phone Box by Steve Shanks, got it here in the Freepozitory in September 2010, might be at Poserworld

MayMini2.jpg
    1153 x 733 - 165K
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2013

Entry for: Main Contest

Title: Queen of Outer Space
    Rendered in DS3A; resized and saved as jpg in Paint.net. Please click to enlarge.

Notes: Just your standard space opera villainess chewing out her minion for once again failing to capture Captain Blast Hardcheese of the Stellar Patrol.

Paid items:
    1). Millenium Environment
    2). Heart of Space for above(outer space backdrop)
    3). An old "merchant's shader kit" I bought at Renderosity clearance 3 years ago, used on the "crown," "necklace," etc.

Neutral items: V4, Morphs++
    Lost freebies: Can't find the link to the blue "Ruto" skin for V4 that I used. I do know that I didn't pay money for it.

Free items:
    1). Stonemason's Sci-Fi wall (background, used twice with edited materials): http://stefan-morrell.com/ (on the main page clicks on "downloads" then click on page 2 of the download section. This will be the second item you see.)
    2). Casting Call Liz (head morph used): http://www.sharecg.com/v/39511/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Casting-Call-Liz (warning: images at link may not be SFW)
    3). Vex Skin Shader (used with tweaking on V4 skin): http://vex-3d.com/dazstudio-tips/skin-shader-light-set-for-ds-22/
    4). Jan19's Glitter Dress for V4: http://www.sharecg.com/v/35482/gallery/11/Poser/Glitter
    5). Cho's textures for Glitter Dress (white version used with Diffuse tinting): http://www.sharecg.com/v/35586/gallery/11/Poser/Glitter-dress-textures-zip-1
    6). Natira Hair: http://www.sharecg.com/v/38536/browse/11/Poser/Natira-Hair
    7). Sixus1's Orc: http://www.sharecg.com/v/21560/gallery/11/Poser/Orc-Base-Figure
    8). Sixus1 Orcinator Armor (mechanical arm): http://www.sharecg.com/v/21567/poser/Orc:-Space-Orc---the-Orcinator
    9). Dreampaint's crown and collar (2nd and 8th item on page, counting from top left): http://dreampaint.perso.sfr.fr/poser4.html
    10). Dreampaint's PsyDream 9 (the tentacle/wing...things): http://dreampaint.perso.sfr.fr/poser9.html (third on page, counting from top left)
    11). Arah Fantasy poses (used on V4 with modifications): http://www.sharecg.com/v/54295/gallery/11/Poser/Fantasy-Poses-Volume-1
    12). Orc armor (sword and not very visible breastplate): http://www.sharecg.com/v/21563/gallery/11/Poser/Orc-Armour

AlienEmpress4.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 471K
    Post edited by Odaa on
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:

Rendered in DS3A; resized and saved as jpg in Paint.net. Please click to enlarge.

Notes: Just your standard space opera villainess chewing out her minion for once again failing to capture Captain Blast Hardcheese of the Stellar Patrol.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=70285_Knk52NVf4wDs8ee5GyFa&thumb=1&board_id=1

Nice one! She must be one *itch, the Orc looks a bit fearful. :lol:

Just so you know, links 7 and 8 are the same.

Dana

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

I LOVE chewing out minions -- nom nom nom!

Nice and chilling, Odaa!

edited December 1969

DanaTA: Thank you for catching that! I have fixed it.
    Dorseyland: Aw, thanks!

And a special thanks to Sean, who a few pages back encouraged me to rework my NAE and find a way to submit it.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Here ya go ...

MINI-CONTEST ENTRY

SCREW YOU NUTS, I'LL FIND ANOTHER PHONE BOOTH!

Michael 4 in the Uzilite Super Hero costume by wusamah at Renderosity
    Coupla Daleks from jhoagland at ShareCG
    Boardwalk Sector by herminio at ShareCG
    Daily Planet Globe by aldemps at ShareCG
    Old British Phone Box by Steve Shanks, got it here in the Freepozitory in September 2010, might be at Poserworld

LOL!

Mini-Contest Entry 001: Entry Accepted

entry_m01.png
    299 x 341 - 116K
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:

Looks good, although I think you forgot to list the sword that the orc is carrying. I can think of a couple of possible free swords that would match that one, so...

ENTRY #009: ENTRY ACCEPTED

entry_009.png
    302 x 467 - 146K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Jeepz, you were a judge last June. Like I said, it only happens to Ganthor ...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1077/P840/#41910

He pulled off the same coup in July 2011 ...

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=166992&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=680

And you just KNOW he's adjusting the knobs on a robot someplace right now! :lol:

(If his job hasn't killed him yet.)

The job killed me...'round about the middle of last week...Tuesday, I think, judging by the amount of decay...

I really was going to try to enter this month...really. I was all set to rework one of my old renders along the same subject lines, but most of the freebies I used have either come up as withdrawn or I can't remember where I got them. Oh well, maybe next month...maybe...

edited December 1969

Jeepz, you were a judge last June. Like I said, it only happens to Ganthor ...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1077/P840/#41910

He pulled off the same coup in July 2011 ...

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=166992&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=680

And you just KNOW he's adjusting the knobs on a robot someplace right now! :lol:

(If his job hasn't killed him yet.)

The job killed me...'round about the middle of last week...Tuesday, I think, judging by the amount of decay...

I really was going to try to enter this month...really. I was all set to rework one of my old renders along the same subject lines, but most of the freebies I used have either come up as withdrawn or I can't remember where I got them. Oh well, maybe next month...maybe...

And I was so looking forward to Da Real Man... In Space! :-)

edited December 1969

Rob: It's part of the one of the Orc armor sets, I'll do some research and edit the post. thanks for catching!

edited December 1969

OK, updated to attribute the sword-it's part of the Orc armor set I used for the breastplate, and added a link to the free pose I used on V4. Sorry for the mixup, this is why I don't like going back to an image I set aside for a while; I lose track of what everything was. :/

edited May 2013

robkelk said:

Oh...very well. If you must...:roll: Consider this an entry for the main contest.

When I wuz a kid da future wuz all about Star Trek. Zippin' 'round in oudder space, chasin' K'ingons an' dose Roman guys...I ferget what'cha call 'em. Den dere wuz all dem alien type green wimmin' an' babes wit real sexy clothin'. Yeah, dat was da future I was lookin' for. 'Cept dey ain't got no beer in space, just sum weird brandy stuff...and I gotta go to da black market t'git my cigars 'cause nobody smokes in da future. Udder den dat, it's all good...'cept dese goofy computers dat wanna talk at'cha...an' aliens dat wanna kill ya alludda time cause you're human an' all dat...udderwise, it's all good.

1.) Moustache 19th from Top.

2.) Unforgiven for Aiko 3 Cigar Prop Only. Download Link on Right.

3.) Genesis Sweaters Registration Required.

4.) Genesis Jeans Registration Required.

5.) Spock Hair for M4 Download Link halfway down on Right Side.

6.) Voyager Badges for V4 and M4 Registration Required.*

7.) TOS Phaser Pistol Registration Required.

8.) Starship Briefing Room Registration Required.

9.) Starfleet Chair Registration Required.

10.)Saurian Brandy Registration Required.

Udder Stuff I Ain't Sure 'Bout: Genesis Figure, Basic skin texture from M4.

The Saurian Brandy bottle was very Poser shader dependent and new materials were added in Bryce. The Sweater and Jeans textures were added in Bryce for correctness to the costume and were simple .jpg files. Figure and Prop set-up in Daz Studio 4.5 with final render in Bryce 7. No postwork save adding signature and copyright date.

*Yes, I know that these are the wrong badges for the uniform but it was the easiest thing to find and use. So sue me...I'm old, I'm tired and I'm cranky and have been watchin' Star Trek in all of it's various incarnations since 1966 and I'm entitled to take a little artistic leeway every once in a while (insert the sound of raspberries here). Sorry...I was over on the Star Trek thread in the commons listening to people gripe and complain about the latest movie. Jeeze, get a life, will ya?

Now that's weird...in my version the shirt is blue. Here it's showing up purple. Might be time to think about getting a new monitor....

Real_Man_Star_Trek_FINAL.jpg
    450 x 600 - 201K
    Post edited by Lord Ganthor on
    edited May 2013

More than halfway through the month and the theme's "retro SF" - what's a guy gotta do to get a classic Star Trek render out of someone?

Apparently, a guy's gotta complain... :)

Great render, as always! One problem with the list of links, though - the link for the Phaser prop goes to the Saurian Brandy prop, and the Saurian Brandy prop isn't listed. I'll put that down to the effects of the Saurian Brandy... (But I, for one, don't have that phaser prop in my runtime, so a link would be appreciated.)

Now that's weird...in my version the shirt is blue. Here it's showing up purple. Might be time to think about getting a new monitor....

I'll put that down to the effects of the Saurian brandy, too. :)

ENTRY #010: ENTRY ACCEPTED

entry_010.png
    219 x 197 - 67K
    Post edited by robkelk on
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Oh...very well. If you must...:roll: Consider this an entry for the main contest.

When I wuz a kid da future wuz all about Star Trek. Zippin' 'round in oudder space, chasin' K'ingons an' dose Roman guys...I ferget what'cha call 'em. Den dere wuz all dem alien type green wimmin' an' babes wit real sexy clothin'. Yeah, dat was da future I was lookin' for. 'Cept dey ain't got no beer in space, just sum weird brandy stuff...and I gotta go to da black market t'git my cigars 'cause nobody smokes in da future. Udder den dat, it's all good...'cept dese goofy computers dat wanna talk at'cha...an' aliens dat wanna kill ya alludda time cause you're human an' all dat...udderwise, it's all good.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=70451_DUnBaCLH5UaoZRCSoB6s&thumb=1&board_id=1

Excellent! And the shirt looks blue to me. Maybe you do need a new monitor!

Dana

edited December 1969

He kinda looks a bit like Harry Mudd!

Dana

• edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    More than halfway through the month and the theme's "retro SF" - what's a guy gotta do to get a classic Star Trek render out of someone?

Or a girl's mate can take her out to watch the new movie in the theater. (Which, by the way, I actually loved it, and I've been a Trekkie since I was seven or eight years old - I am now 33! LOL)

Spock and Saavik, hands down my two favorites on the 'good guys' side. Love the Rihannsu, too, if only because they are much more than just a blank target to be shot at because of "being evil." (Can we tell I love baddies that have an actual underlying storyline and depth to them...LOL) I fell in love with Saavik as an addition to the ST universe when reading "The Pandora Principle." I just think the story did a wonderful job of deepening both hers and Spock's characters. Anyway. I'll shush. :D Big Trekkie here!

By the way, Lord Ganthor - his shirt looks blue to my screen as well. Perhaps your monitor or it's color profile are wonky?

I am working on a render for the main contest... who knows, maybe I can get my machine to actually cooperate for a render for this month! I'm certainly going to try...

edited December 1969

Seliah said:

Or a girl's mate can take her out to watch the new movie in the theater. (Which, by the way, I actually loved it, and I've been a Trekkie since I was seven or eight years old - I am now 33! LOL)

Spring chicken!!! ;-P I watched Star Trek debut! In 1966! I was twelve.

Dana

edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Great render, as always! One problem with the list of links, though - the link for the Phaser prop goes to the Saurian Brandy prop, and the Saurian Brandy prop isn't listed. I'll put that down to the effects of the Saurian Brandy... (But I, for one, don't have that phaser prop in my runtime, so a link would be appreciated.)

Put it down to getting into a hurry to post so I can go take my nap. My original post has been updated to change the links for both the Saurian Brandy and the TOS Phaser. Sorry 'bout that...

• edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Seliah said:

Dana

*squawks and runs around the yard flapping flightless wings*

Better? :cheese:

edited December 1969

Lord Ganthor: LOL, he reminds me of Harry Mudd-and yes the shirt is definitely blue :)

edited December 1969

Seliah said:
    DanaTA said:
    Seliah said:

Dana

*squawks and runs around the yard flapping flightless wings*

Better? :cheese:

'Twas not an insult, you know? I hope you didn't take it that way.

Dana

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

I am a big fan of Frank Sinatra. And here lately I have been hearing his rendition of Fly Me to the Moon. It has kind of stuck in my head these past few days. So I give you what I think my parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts would have expected as an advertisement of the day, if we were flying to the Moon. Based upon an advertisement of a Willys ad.

Title: Fly Me to the Moon (Main Contest)
    Rendered with DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro, Postwork to fix two poke throughs and add signature in Paint Shop Pro.

Environment: Ground Arid Terrain High Res by Scott Hagel.
    Environment: Lighting * WC Soft Skin Lights for DS 4.5 by wancow.
    Environment: Sky * Sky Dome by glaseye.
    Environment: Space City * Martian Colonial City by Herminio Newves.
    Environment: Spaceship * Multi Purpose Shuttle MPS2A, Beaver, .obj version by Spacebones.
    Frame: Is a Studio primative plane that I created a texture and a trans map for.
    Moon Girl (Genesis): Face (-1) FW Lindsay for Genesis by FWArt.
    Moon Girl (Genesis): Hair (-1) SOTO's Flat Top for Genesis by Hellboy.
    Moon Girl (Genesis): Outfit (-1) Encounter V4 by Flesh Forge.

* means registration is required.

Paid fors were Genesis Evolutions and V4 shape. I also used Ron's Pinstrip brushes on the Frame's texture.

Thanks Rob for this challenge. I just love vintage Sci-fi and this render was just way to fun to do.

FlyMetotheMoon.jpg
    1000 x 666 - 484K
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    I am a big fan of Frank Sinatra. And here lately I have been hearing his rendition of Fly Me to the Moon. It has kind of stuck in my head these past few days. So I give you what I think my parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts would have expected as an advertisement of the day, if we were flying to the Moon. Based upon an advertisement of a Willys ad.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=70639_hYd5tdRTUA8FsDzlzIw5&thumb=1&board_id=1

Excellent! It really looks like an ad from years gone by!

Dana

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

A lot of good stuff so far this month. Working on a second entry this month that should be pretty fun.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

Thanks Rob for this challenge. I just love vintage Sci-fi and this render was just way to fun to do.

And I'm getting a kick out of seeing how many different ways it's being interpreted!

All the links check out, so:

ENTRY #011: ENTRY ACCEPTED

entry_011.png
    265 x 200 - 78K
    edited December 1969

A Mini-Contest Entry...Misser Spot Takes a Vacation...Starin' Me!

Hey, iffin' yer gonna cross-ovea, ya might as well makes it wort yur whiles...

TARDIS Bottom of Page.

K9 Go to Downloads, hit Cont+F, search for K9 or Doctor Who.

Classic Sonic Screwdriver

Long Scarf 22nd from Top.

Refer to my post in the main contest for other particulars. Blah, blah...Studio 4.5...blah, blah Bryce 7.1...no postwork...th' usual stuff...

!!Real_Man_in_Miami_001.jpg
    583 x 671 - 366K
  • edited May 2013

DanaTA said:

'Twas not an insult, you know? I hope you didn't take it that way.

Dana

No, no, no... don't worry, I was just being silly. I certainly didn't take any offense. =) It takes a heck of a lot more than that to get under my fur, and certainly a lot more than any online forums can do. My sense of humor is sometimes a little wonky, LOL.

Post edited by Seliah (Childe of Fyre) on
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Why does finding the links always have to be more of a headache than working on the render. Plus, Daz 4.6 seems to rendering things far darker than 4.5 did. Anyways, this was a lot of fun. Went through a few different versions in my head before getting this one. A little iffy on the rules for the Anime Star Fighter since it's in the freebie section and I got it last year but it now requires another purchase. Regardless, I've got room for another paid item if it comes down to that.

JUST YOUR AVERAGE MORNING COMMUTE
    Daz 4.6

NOT COUNTED
    Genesis
    File/folder (freebie no longer available)
    Various primitives (helmets and lasers)
    Default Daz clothing

PAID
    Genesis Evolution: Expressions -- http://www.daz3d.com/animations-poses/expressions/genesis-evolution-expressions
    Hardcore Utility Shaders DS -- http://www.daz3d.com/hardcore-utility-shaders-ds

FREE
    Stars -- Fuseling SpaceDome -- http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=62934 (requires registration)
    Lighting -- Arah3D Subtly Soft Lights For DS Bonus Freebie -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/64526/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Arah3D-Subtly-Soft-Lights-For-DS-Bonus-Freebie (requires registration)
    Textures and shaders -- Ultimate Shader Pack for DAZ Studio UPDATED_2011 -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/27568/material-and-shader/Ultimate-Shader-Pack-for-DAZ-Studio (requires registration)
    Male skin texture -- !Tyrese! for m4 -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/35198/favorite/6/Texture/!Tyrese!-for-m4 (requires registration)
    Lips/eyes/material settings -- Doll V4 -- http://rendercandy.com/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/41
    Female skin texture -- Bonnie For DazV4.1 and Morphs++ -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/23363/poser/Bonnie-For-DazV4.1-and-Morphs++ (requires registration)
    Female hair -- Sylwester Hair / Sylwester_Hair_2.0 -- http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=62933 / http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=62968 (requires registration)
    Morphs -- DieTrying's 182 V4 Morphs for Genesis -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/58198/View/11/Poser/DieTryings-182-V4-Morphs-for-Genesis (requires registration)
    Male morph -- Brogan for Genesis (DAZ Studio 4.5) -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/65858/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Brogan-for-Genesis-(DAZ-Studio-4.5) (requires registration)
    Female body morph -- Biao Pan for Genesis -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/66358/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Biao-Pan-for-Genesis (requires registration)
    Female head morph -- Drehen for Genesis -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/65925/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Drehen-for-Genesis (requires registration)
    Shoes -- Genesis Thigh Boots -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/68995/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-Thigh-Boots (requires registration)
    Skirt -- V4 Skirts -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/64534/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/V4-Skirts (requires registration)
    Uniforms -- Genesis Style Cavalry Shirt -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/68707/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-Style-Cavalry-Shirt (requires registration)
    Hand Poses -- Hand Jive for Genesis -- http://www.sharecg.com/v/68572/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Hand-Jive-for-Genesis (requires registration)
    Hoverbike -- Hover Bike -- http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=70859 (requires registration)
    Enemy Spaceship -- Anime Star Fighter -- http://www.daz3d.com/free-3d-models-and-content/anime-star-fighter (requires registration)

Morning_Commute.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 338K
    edited December 1969

A Mini-Contest Entry...Misser Spot Takes a Vacation...Starin' Me!

Hey, iffin' yer gonna cross-ovea, ya might as well makes it wort yur whiles...

TARDIS Bottom of Page.

K9 Go to Downloads, hit Cont+F, search for K9 or Doctor Who.

Classic Sonic Screwdriver

Long Scarf 22nd from Top.

Refer to my post in the main contest for other particulars. Blah, blah...Studio 4.5...blah, blah Bryce 7.1...no postwork...th' usual stuff...

He's going to get a bit light headed with all that bundling on! And drinking beers, too? He might just pass out.

Dana