Luxus questions

https://www.daz3d.com/luxus

I noticed Luxus is on sale in the store and I had always wanted to try it; I have used LuxRender through Reality or out of Blender so I know how Lux works and how exporters in general work. I have DS 4.8 and I don't plan to upgrade, I use V4 and M4 when I do use Studio. I have a number of different LuxRender versions on my PC. My question is what do I need to do to work with Luxus and will it work on large projects ( > = 10 - 32 GB) ? 

is an exporter like Reality or something different? How much configuration is needed vs Realty when you go through a list of things to see if they were translated over or needed tweaking?

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

Thank you. unfortunately I did not find some subjects I was concerned about. The documentation for this product reads like an overview and less like a manual.

• I bought it today, and I'm still trying to get it to work.  It says in the manual to go to luxrender.net and get the latest one(it recommends 1.2rc2)  I downloaed it and couldn't find the luxrender.exe file anywhere. So i'm at a lost??????????

• EBF2003EBF2003 Posts: 28
    edited December 2018

I bought it today, and I'm still trying to get it to work.  It says in the manual to go to luxrender.net and get the latest one(it recommends 1.2rc2)  I downloaed it and couldn't find the luxrender.exe file anywhere. So i'm at a lost??????????

scroll down you will find 1.3 or 1.2 installer that has the luxrender.exe in it

(https://bit.ly/2SsqWst)

Post edited by EBF2003 on
  • ok i found it!!!!!!

• Does luxrender have the possibilty of doing hdri??  If not then what does??  Is reality a good solution??

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

I haven't used Luxus for quite a few years so can't remember wether it can do HDRi or not but Reality def can,  Plus Reality comes with a more updated version of Luxrenderr (V1.6).

• One more(hehe)question, how do you know when its done??

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited December 2018

https://www.daz3d.com/luxus

I noticed Luxus is on sale in the store and I had always wanted to try it; I have used LuxRender through Reality or out of Blender so I know how Lux works and how exporters in general work. I have DS 4.8 and I don't plan to upgrade, I use V4 and M4 when I do use Studio. I have a number of different LuxRender versions on my PC. My question is what do I need to do to work with Luxus and will it work on large projects ( > = 10 - 32 GB) ? 

is an exporter like Reality or something different? How much configuration is needed vs Realty when you go through a list of things to see if they were translated over or needed tweaking?

Your link to Lux/Reality in the DAZ Store is not working.

Does Lux use cpu, gpu or both? Is it dependent on Nvidia or ATI/AMD cards?

Post edited by kenmo on

Found the answer to Lux using cpu or gpu. Apparently since Reality version 4.1 it uses both cpu and gpu that support openCL.

• One more(hehe)question, how do you know when its done??

LuxRender is similar to Iray, in that (unlike 3Delight) a render never "finishes", it just hits a stop condition. It's been a while since I last used Luxus, so I can't remember the precise details, but in Iray the stop conditions are time (default 2 hours), number of rendering passes (default 5000), and percentage of "convergence" (default 95%). As soon as an Iray render hits any one of those conditions, it stops. LuxRender has similar parameters, but as I said, I can't remember the details.

That last one, convergence, is a bit of a tricky concept; it's a measure of how much each pixel of the render changes between one render pass and the next. Renders start very spotty, as if they were painted by a mad pointillist with a hard-to-pronounce vision problem. As it goes on, the render gradually resolves into higher and higher quality. You can stop the render at any time, if you think it "looks good", or you can wait for one of the stop conditions.

Note those defaults; if you leave them alone, you'll get a moderately "nice looking" render out of it, but you can tweak the various parameters to get a better quality final image, at the cost of extra render time.

• Thank you...

Coming from Vue this infinite rendering time is such an odd idea. One which I do not particularly like or understand why it would be implemented. Better to have options - fair, good, very good, fine, excellent or something similar.

edited December 2018
    kenmo said:

Coming from Vue this infinite rendering time is such an odd idea. One which I do not particularly like or understand why it would be implemented. Better to have options - fair, good, very good, fine, excellent or something similar.

The reason why it doesn't give you an options like Fair, Good, Very Good ect. is that each scene is different.  Take 2 scenes that are identical but in one of them you add a glass bottle,  Now the scene with the glass will take longer to render than the one without.

Reality does have an option that will tell Lux to stop when it reaches a set number of Samples per Pixel,  But once again if we take our example from above and use this princible and set the stopping point at 1000 S/pP then you will find that the scene with the glass still would not have finished rendering.

Post edited by Platnumk on

Any youtube videos on Luxus? I would like to see a demo of it. Does it have an interface similar to Reality? Which Lux and versions does it work with (ie: Luxcore, Luxrender, ver 1.3, ver 2, etc).

Cheers

edited December 2018
    kenmo said:

Any youtube videos on Luxus? I would like to see a demo of it. Does it have an interface similar to Reality? Which Lux and versions does it work with (ie: Luxcore, Luxrender, ver 1.3, ver 2, etc).

Cheers

It uses shaders like 3Delight/Iray inside of DAZ Studio.  It only supports Luxrender 1.3 or lower do to the age of the plug_in .

The worst thing about Luxus is that you have to manually convert every material & lights to Luxus compatible which can become very tedious but if you willing to put the time and effet into it,  it can produce some fantastic results. 

At this point in time LuxcoreRender is not supported by Luxus or Reality.

This DAZ Forum page maybe of some interest to you https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21492/luxus-discussion-ii/p1 

Post edited by Platnumk on