Genesis 3 or Genesis 8: What's the difference and which is better?

Good evening all!

I'm kinda new to the whole 3D animation creator with Daz. I recently downloaded the software and started to mess with the default stuff they give you. So after looking on what i want to work with i'm stuck with genesis 3 or 8. My question is whats the difference and which is better to you? based on what i can gather so far i'm guessing is genesis 8 is natural looking, i guess. Also i notice people can use genesis 3 add-on and other stuff when working with 8, but does it really matter? can i just buy genesis 8 stuff alone? if someone can explain that would be awesome. 

Also bonus questions: since i have no asses or plus what are come recommendations for lighting, poses, colors, animation plugs ect. basically stuff you can use to make comics and a little extra, anyway hope to here from someone soon. Thank you! smiley

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Genesis 8 has superior expressions and posing than Genesis 3. They are actually pretty close to the same figure with some differences in certain body parts

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Why not both G3 and G8? Since you're new to Studio, go with your own preferences. Currently, there is more product available for G3, but that will change... and  then there will be G9... So, enjoy yourself. Read up on what interests you, and get rendering.

As for lighting, it depends. Do you want to get into all the nitty gritty, or rendering art? I like to render, and after many years, and a LOT of money, I find I use two "light" sets more than anything else. 99% of my renders use, for inside: https://www.daz3d.com/iray-ghost-light-kit-2 and for outside: https://www.daz3d.com/iray-worlds-skydome , I do have expansions, but those two cover almost all my needs. Buy them when they are on sale.

BUT, the best, and first thing to buy is Platinum Club membership. It will pay for itself in no time.

As for poses? Sure, buy what looks good, but check out all the freebies. There are lots of pointers in the forums about where to find freebies. In fact, freebies should be where you look first. Good luck, and happy rendering! yes

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 238

I think beyond models you should search that product that fits with your project. There's a lot of masterpieces for every generation that doesn't exist in the others, that you hardly could say that only one gonna solve all your needs. 

Remember, old don't means bad. Many old products are so rich in details that can be confused with new. (The same with some "new" products, so poor in details that could be confused with Poser 6 native contents XD) 

• edited December 2017
    namtar3d said:

I think beyond models you should search that product that fits with your project. There's a lot of masterpieces for every generation that doesn't exist in the others, that you hardly could say that only one gonna solve all your needs. 

Remember, old don't means bad. Many old products are so rich in details that can be confused with new. (The same with some "new" products, so poor in details that could be confused with Poser 6 native contents XD) 

This is true.  I've recently seen a resurgence in Gen 4 (Vicky 4, Stephanie 4, Girl 4, for lack of a term) items, so it's not completely cast out at the moment.  Use whatever works for you.

Post edited by pkieferjr_c27285b125 on
  • Aside from loading in an A-pose, as opposed to T-pose, I can't say I noticed any difference, whatsoever. That goes for adopting any expressions and poses, too.

For a new user, it really depends on which compatible characters, clothing and props you presently want to use with the figure. Genesis 3 will continue to have the most available, whereas Genesis 8 is where the new stuff will come from.

• Yeah... I'd have to agree it's all kind of confusing - and, worse, in trying to make sure everybody's old favorite is supported and represented (not that that's a bad thing!) to the casual outside observer or neonate, it seems intentionally confused and confusing. 

I started using Poser at work in '96 I think, and was able to stay pretty up to date and active until maybe 2003 or 2004, when other kinds of work conspired to keep my in Photoshop, CorelDraw, Dreamweaver, and Notepad++ for years.  When I had time to come back and start kitting out to get back into it, I was (and remain, to an extent) very overwhelmed. Genesis , Genesis 2, 3, 8, 52, 83, Umpty-frump, whatever... Every victoria & michael in the world, whatever that shorter, less buxom one used to be, right after Victoria came out, and I see they bought the rights to "The Girl" (I was still kind of active when the original character was written up in 3D Artist...) and, and, and... 

I wish there was a set of pages, like a wiki (but not necessarily "wiki" in terms of community created) somewhere with a really dry, technical information and comparison so I know the details of each model and character (or character type / paradigm? Since it loks like there are just millions of characters, and some have their own HD mesh and some are a few texture maps and morph targets (or whatever that would be called now?).  Like... a timeline, and comparisons and tables. This is every model (or whatever the top level taxonomy would be), their dates of production, and revision, if they've been revised and updated. How many polygons, how many points of articulation and what are their limits? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each particular model? 

It's an incredibly rich and evolved marketplace, and I really want to get involved, but it's so jumbled and cross-polinated and confusing, it seems like it'll take me longer to figure out what and where everything is and how to find it than it would to just model and texture all my own stuff to begin with. (Though, obviously, not as long as it would take to re-develop and sharpen and tune the skills to actually make them look decent, and work in Studio or whatever, so I'm kind of stuck, right?  :) )

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064

Genesis 3 also has HD morphs, so I'm not really sure what Genesis 8 has to offer in terms of HD.

• Good evening all!

I'm kinda new to the whole 3D animation creator with Daz. I recently downloaded the software and started to mess with the default stuff they give you. So after looking on what i want to work with i'm stuck with genesis 3 or 8. My question is whats the difference and which is better to you? based on what i can gather so far i'm guessing is genesis 8 is natural looking, i guess. Also i notice people can use genesis 3 add-on and other stuff when working with 8, but does it really matter? can i just buy genesis 8 stuff alone? if someone can explain that would be awesome. 

Also bonus questions: since i have no asses or plus what are come recommendations for lighting, poses, colors, animation plugs ect. basically stuff you can use to make comics and a little extra, anyway hope to here from someone soon. Thank you! smiley

Of course "newer is better" but the real question that I don't want an answer to is "What is your budget?" 

With new items they are going to be more expensive where I frequently see Genesis 3 stuff going on sale at steeply discounted amounts.  So from a budget perspective its best to buy the older material and I wouldn't be afraid to go back to Victoria 4 either... I've been able to make some (to my personal taste) surprising realistic and beautiful character just with Victoria 4... and those one are frequently marked off at huge discounts too. 

The other thing is how is your computer for memery and graphics?  I'm on a high end computer and I find that doing multiple Genesis 8 characters in one scene is extremely difficult because with so much detail it also wants memory to match.. so that should be a consideration too.  If you've got an older computer.. go with the older characters.

The difference between all of the characters comes down to flexibility and how realistic the poses or animation will look.  In any case... You picked a good time to get into graphic arts... enjoy and happy rendering.

jesus4aah.jpg
    1288 x 575 - 503K
    self image4a.jpg
    1288 x 575 - 384K
  • Victor_BVictor_B Posts: 391
    edited August 2018

In two words: Genesis 8 is more realistic 3D characters than Genesis 3 or Victoria 4.

Time changes all things.

Post edited by Victor_B on