dForce Saving as Morph?

AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
edited November 2017 in The Commons

Silly question. pobably easily answered. Is there a way to save a simulation as a morph asset? Would help me a lot because sometimes the simulation goes a little overboard and only 70 or 80% of the total simulation is nessesary.

Post edited by Angel on

Comments

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

Export the draped clothing as an .obj file onthe frma you need , and use morphloader pro  to reimport it

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited November 2017

that assumes i dont have a complex scene going on.... There should be another way...

Post edited by Angel on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

that assumes i dont have a complex scene going on.... There should be another way...

There are always memory limitations, but I'd think you should be able to save the whole scene, then save just the affected items out as a preset, clear the scene and reload the preset and do the export/import in the reduced version of the scene, then transfer the morphed version back to the full scene.  It sounds convoluted, but I've taken to doing a lot of my stuff lately by breaking big scenes down into smaller, more manageable presets and then combining everything right before going to render.  

• that assumes i dont have a complex scene going on.... There should be another way...

Hide everything but the draped item, export as OBJ (which by default ignores hidden items), import as morph - if the draped item is away from the origin you'd need tor eset that before exporting, then use under to put it back in place.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2017

This script lets you export the selected object only.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/export_obj_silent/start

You can use "true" or "false" depending on your needs. In this case:

oSettings.setBoolValue( "SelectedOnly", false );

Change it to "true"

Post edited by Soto on
  • Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited November 2017
    Hellboy said:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/export_obj_silent/start

Change it to "true"

I went ahead and modified the Daz script linked above for those not quite sure where to start. I have attached it below as a zip, just unzip the content into your Scripts folder.

It will export only the selected node as an obj file with correct scaling as per the popup options.

Shared under: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Pls let me know if their are any issues.

Export Selected as OBJ.png
    91 x 91 - 5K
    zip
    zip
    Export Options.zip
    Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • Thank you!

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Thanks for the tweak. And thanks for opening my eyes that there's a script like this that exists !! Hugely useful for me, since I regularly export scene elements to Blender.

However, I've tried it multiple times and when I import into Blender the mesh seems to exist (it indicates how many vertices the object has) but I can't see it in the 3D view. I looked all over the scene and it's nowhere to be found. 

Anyone know what's going on? 

Thanks.

edited November 2017

Hold on I think I've got it...apparently the script overwrites whatever options you choose in the export dialog. So I opened the script in Notepad++ and tweaked it to set it for Blender as default....

Darn. That didn't fix the problem...

EDIT: Nevermind, got it. I think I had a scale factor entered as an integer rather than decimal so it went goofy. 

Post edited by ebergerly on
    edited November 2017

Cool, I tweaked the DAZ script to export from DAZ to Blender, with correct scaling and orientation (XYZ) so you can import directly into Blender with its default preset import settings (one less thing you have to monkey with). And it saves a character as one object, not a bunch of groups (so that a character appears in Blender as a single object). But I did it based on Imperial (feet/inches) scales in Blender, so only people in the US care smiley

Now I'm working on figuring how to make the window that asks for all the export settings (which the script overrides anyway) not come up, since it's useless. 

Thanks to DAZ for providing the script. Though it would be great if it was built-in to Studio....................

Post edited by ebergerly on

"Now I'm working on figuring how to make the window 
    that asks for all the export settings 
    (which the script overrides anyway) not come up, since it's useless.

"Useless" perhaps for your specific purposes but quite useful
    for those of us using Daz content .obj exports in other programs like C4D &Lightwave.cheeky

wolf359 said:

"Now I'm working on figuring how to make the window 
    that asks for all the export settings 
    (which the script overrides anyway) not come up, since it's useless.

"Useless" perhaps for your specific purposes but quite useful
    for those of us using Daz content .obj exports in other programs like C4D &Lightwave.cheeky

Not in this case...

The script OVERRIDES anything you might enter into the export settings window. So it will ignore whatever you put in. Of course you can change the python script, but the way it comes from DAZ defaults to ignoring your input. 

edited November 2017

I see.. you mean this script subverts My DS  export options making them useless when the script is  being utilized 
    ...understood 
    I thought you were implying the DS export options were useless
    in general.

I stand corrected.blush

GALACTUS-RISING-STILLFRAME.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 655K
    Post edited by Chohole on

It's easy to change it. Just tweak one line of python code. Problem solved. 

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    Hellboy said:

Change it to "true"

I went ahead and modified the Daz script linked above for those not quite sure where to start. I have attached it below as a zip, just unzip the content into your Scripts folder.

It will export only the selected node as an obj file with correct scaling as per the popup options.

Shared under: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Pls let me know if their are any issues.

Hot damn, this is useful. A belated thanks!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Just found this and tried to use it with Marvelous Designer (export a G8F OBJ for an Avatar). However, it does seem to ignore my export preferences even though the pop-up screen shows them. I'm not clear from the conversation above how to fix that, bearing in mind that I am not a programmer so suggesting tweaking the python code is not going to get me far. Is there a ready-tweaked version which remembers the export preferences?