Some uninstallers don't seem to work

mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have started to convert my content over to DIM by uninstalling the content, then installing the same content in the New location using DIM. I have both the old and new libraries in the content directory manager.

I have discovered that some of the uninstallers don't really uninstall the content or all the content. For example the Loretta Lorez uninstaller does not appear to have uninstalled most of the content in the My Library/Runtime folder. I now seem to have Loretta in both My Library and My DAZ 3D Library. I know I ran the uninstaller. Win 7 seems to give an error when many of the uninstallers finish saying "This program might not have installed correctly", but this seems to be nonsense. It is after the uninstaller said it had uninstalled everything. Besides the uninstaller deletes itself, so there is no way to run it over anyway.

I assume having this content in both libraries could be a problem. What can I do about this?

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

... Win 7 seems to give an error when many of the uninstallers finish saying “This program might not have installed correctly”, ...

Welcome to W7. That's a nifty security feature, which in these cases is being triggered because the "software" [which is what .exe files normally install] didn't leave an .exe that W7 can find. [which is good, there usually isn't one with Daz3d installers for content unless installing plugins perhaps]

About May 15th the store is phasing out the old installers so we'll be seeing less of these messages.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

... Win 7 seems to give an error when many of the uninstallers finish saying “This program might not have installed correctly”, ...

Welcome to W7. That's a nifty security feature, which in these cases is being triggered because the "software" [which is what .exe files normally install] didn't leave an .exe that W7 can find. [which is good, there usually isn't one with Daz3d installers for content unless installing plugins perhaps]

About May 15th the store is phasing out the old installers so we'll be seeing less of these messages.

I know the uninstallers are being phased out.

I have also discovered a couple of products that don't have uninstallers, Lisa Botanicals Creepy Trees, Charlotta Hair, ... These products are old enough they were still using zip files.

How do I deal with products that don't uninstall correctly or don't have uninstallers?

Do I need to track down the files and directories manually and delete them?

What will happen if I don't delete these files?

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mark said:

I know the uninstallers are being phased out.

I have also discovered a couple of products that don't have uninstallers, Lisa Botanicals Creepy Trees, Charlotta Hair, ... These products are old enough they were still using zip files.

How do I deal with products that don't uninstall correctly or don't have uninstallers?

Do I need to track down the files and directories manually and delete them?

What will happen if I don't delete these files?

Actually for the older files with no installers but using a zip folder ... that is the 'new' packaging. They used to all have really old installers.

Well, many will run installers to a 'dummy Runtime' to check "what's in the package" first. Then merge the folders into the working Runtime folder.

For all those potential error messages, just "okay" it away. Having run hundreds of them, I assure you that in every case for all the content I have installed, they were all installed just fine. Do check where you're "pointing them to" though. My Content is now called My Library so treat those folders as the same, merging their contents together in the My Library structure.

Most of the files for D/S and/or Poser can be opened in a text editor ... so if one is really needing to check for "what's being called for and where is it looking", that's how to read them. One can just delete the content as one would delete any unwanted items on the computer.
    What happens if one doesn't ... well, welcome to world of content collectors! We buy external harddrives and store gigabytes of content for Daz Studio/Poser/Carrara/etc. [nothing happens aside from storage space being used]

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Except for some special cases like items that use ExP morphs (Gen 4 figures and the SubDragon) nothing bad should happen if they're installed in 2 places, other than taking up some extra disk space. If you use Categories and have multiple icons for an item, just right-click on them and choose "Browse to File Location", and you can delete the unneeded file.

If you do need to recover some disk space, for most items the textures are what occupies the most space.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Except for some special cases like items that use ExP morphs (Gen 4 figures and the SubDragon) nothing bad should happen if they're installed in 2 places, other than taking up some extra disk space. If you use Categories and have multiple icons for an item, just right-click on them and choose "Browse to File Location", and you can delete the unneeded file.

If you do need to recover some disk space, for most items the textures are what occupies the most space.

Loretta Lorez has morphs, but not the same morphs as Gen 4 or Genesis. Right now Loretta seems to still be working, but I'm probably picking Loretta from my old library rather than the new install.

Disk space is not really an issue right now.