DAZ behaviour under remote desktop windows

nahnah Posts: 12
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,

I would like to use DAZ remotly with Windows remote desktop or Radmin remote, because my remoted computer are more faster than my laptop. Everything seems to be fine except the navigation icones and sliders. No way to control with globe or any rotation/translation tool. I have to create camera and use setting transformation to move the camera with "+" and "-" button.
Is there a fix ? should I chek some mouse emulator ? is it opengl issues ?

Thanks if someone could get rid of this issues. For some complexe manipulation, I had to go directly to the PC that is not easy to access (server in my garage).

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2013

My experience with this is there are going to be openGL issues and redraw issues, even at high quality settings on the Remote Desktop Client I have not encountered a RDC app that has sufficiently allowed me to use Studio on one rig via another rig but I've only tried over WAN. Windows RDC, TeamViewer, LogMeIn are not designed for the task. If you need to trash grandma's Lotus Note .ini file via a thin net session they're great but production work, not really. I was asked to try and do this for an graphics production team for bad weather or work from home options and never got sufficient results.
    If you do have better luck post back and let us know.

and did you say server in your garage? Is your garage climate controlled?

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I agree with Stratdragon -- the display refresh time is just too slow for work that requires instant feedback, like moving a slider.

• nahnah Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    There is no display refresh issues for me, DAZ responsiveness is like I sit in front of the PC (LAN Gigabit). I can even play animation with no lag. I have no issue working with 3Dstudio max either. The odd thing that is when I move the "deplacement 3D cube" in DAZ , it goes exponentially to the right (and only to this direction), and when I move a slider, it goes directly to extreme left or extreme right. So no way to navigate throught the viewport. I can only move/rotate object in the viewport. the zoom with mouse works.

My PC server is in the garage because of course for the temperature (it's colder) and also for the noise ! too many fans on graphic board for rendering.

edited December 1969

and it doesn't behave like this when you are in front of the system?
    What are the paramter adjustment values set to for those parameters in the preference for that slider?

edited December 1969

Hi,
    Thanks for interest into this issue.
    I have search on the forum and found that : http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=133471
    the guy talking about the viewport navigation probleme and has found something, but I can't get it work. I use windows 8 RD. I will check with windows 7 but I think that will be the same issue.

edited December 1969

Hi everyone,
    OK, I have found out what works or not :
    - Server (where DAZ is installed) : windows 8 with remote desktop enable + Radmin server
    - Client : windows 8 with Radmin viewer + remote desktop client METRO + remote desktop client 6.2 windows

Server radmin + client radmin : erratic mouse in viewport. Can start DAZ.
    Server RDP + client RDP metro : Cannot start DAZ and opengl issue. But if DAZ is already started --> erratic mouse
    Server RDP + client RDP 6.2 : Cannot start DAZ and opengl issue. But if DAZ is already started --> No navigation problem anymore !!

I have already test with VNC --> erratic mouse also.

So now : best option is start the server with WOL and autostart DAZ. Then take control with RDP windows 6.2. But RDP client cannot shutdown the server !!
    Second solution : WOL the server. Do all thing with radmin client (and start DAZ) take control with RDP for DAZ, and shutdown with Radmin.

• Zeke42Zeke42 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

Apologies for necroing an old thread but I've recently encountered this problem too and was wondering if, in the time since the original discussion, more details about the problem have been found.

edited December 1969

Apologies for necroing an old thread but I've recently encountered this problem too and was wondering if, in the time since the original discussion, more details about the problem have been found.

the technology behind RDC has not changed much since the OP, the pipeline between the GPU and the Display is going to be compensated by network connection. I haven't tried it in a long time but having used RDC for other applications since this post I'm going to say my crystal ball will probably come up "no dice"

• oomuoomu Posts: 175

Hello

The problem with RDP on Windows and DAZ is still existing (windows 8.1, latest DAZ).

it's not a problem about latency, fps or whatever. Even in a local network with a very responsive DAZ (you can move fast a in the viewport with the cube view controls. 

BUT if you use a slider with no limits (for example a rotation dial with no limits or X position of a prop/figurine/camera), it goes exponentially to the right, the number goes up quickly. whatever if you slide it to the left or right. The same with the pan view button, if you click on it and move, it will increase to very high number with just moving the mouse of one milimeter.

It's also the same with VNC (tightvnc or ultravnc) on windows.

Same network, same hardware, but this time VNC on OS X, no problem to remote control DAZ, the sliders works fine, easy to go left or right, increase or decrease the value.

• Hi all,

I've figured out a solution that works for me: if you enable Relative Pointer movement in VNC, it solves the problem entirely.

• Thanks ttthorjen for pointing (no pun intended) me in the right direction.  In RealVNC, I couldn't make it work even with the "Relative Pointer Motion" on.  I had to install a mouse on my remote desktop in order to make it work... so no big deal and it works great now.  I can now use the camera cube and it doesn't move/rotate super fast and the sliders in parameters are not jumping by huge increments anymore.

Note that a connected VNC Viewer user will not be able to move the mouse cursor outside the VNC Viewer app window when "Relative Pointer Motion" on.  Simply use F8 to bring the menu down to deselect "Relative Pointer Motion" when you want to switch to other areas.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617

I don't know if this helps, but here's what I do.  I have identical Daz libraries on 2 computers, my laptop and my home desktop.  I actually make comics, and every day on Patreon like to release 10 or so frame parts to Patrons as a reward.  Problem is, when I travel I wouldn't be able to get the frames rendered, because my laptop has obvious issues with Iray.  What I do:

1.  I use GotomyPC.

2.  I load identical scenes on each computer.  This can be done remotely.

3.  Now, in a comic, the scenes are all sort of similar.  I make the new frame in my laptop.

4.  I save pose presets on all of the characters.  I don't use spots much anymore, but if I did I would save the spot poses.  I also save the camera poses.  I put all of these in a folder representing the new frame.

5.  I send the folder to the pose library, and merge all the poses to their appropriate character, light or camera.

6.  Save the scene on the desktop under it's new name.

7.  Render.

8.  Send the finished render back to the laptop.

Yeah, the sliders are useless when used remotely.  If you have to change a facial expression or move a chacter a little bit, you can do it not with the sliders but by entering in changes in small amounts using their number value.

Hope this helps!  Works for me,