How did Hexagon lose its way?

Comments

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Hi Kyoto,
    I can only speak from personal experience, Hexagon crashes on me, although not so much these days, and when it does it is usually me trying to get too smart with it, I can not yet, put my finger on the exact reasons, a recent occasion was during re-naming stuff, material zones, materials, objects and groups, it was not a big model, fairly simple really.
    It can be sensitive sometimes with awkwardly built meshes I have found, twisted or flipped faces pointing in the same direction., some have problems with their graphics cards, although I have not, My PC is not new, XP pro. Nvidia 6600GT and a bare minimum of Ram :red: but I is not new neither so it works for me :)
    Sometimes having other stuff running in the background might not help, but with my set up I have to stay slim, so I have to watch it.
    Certainly I have to stop my anti-virus from running all the time,
    BTW. how are the Daleks, my cough is a little better thnx. :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited May 2013

...that's what gets me, I'm running an i7 with an nVidia GTX460, 12GB TriChannel memory and no other processes running at the same time to vie for system resources with. Yet, I still have been experiencing the same instability and failure rate as when I ran it on my 32 bit old duo core notebook with the Intel integrated graphics set and only 4GB.

I know it is only a 32 bit app but with the extra "horsepower" I have and nothing else running to interfere, I should be getting the maximum performance out of the app as I have so much "overhead".

..haven't seen much of the Dalek Appreciation thread lately, but working on an idea to bring it back to life.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

I switched to Max a few years ago. My problem with Hex was that it couldn't handle objects. I nearly lost several times because froze and corrupted the file. I needed something that could handle many buildings. If it wasn't for that, I'd still be using it because it's such a great modeler.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited December 1969

So there will be no future versions of Hexagon? If this is indeed true, then that is sad....really sad....

edited December 1969

...unfortunately Gen6/Genesis2 has taken centre stage now.

While I like the fact that Studio 4.6 is one of the most stable releases of that app I've seen, Hex has been left to flounder in the state it's been in for the five+ years I have been involved in 3D CG.

In that time:

Blender has been making great strides forward with an improved UI and new features including Real Time rendering.

Modo has seen five updates.

Vue has been through at least seven updates (including "X.5" versions)

Poser has seen four rewrites of both the basic and pro versions.

MS is now hawking the fourth new version of it's Windows OS

If Daz intends on continuing to market Hexagon as it's "signature" modelling app., they need to come up with a true upgrade that finally fixes the instabilities which have plagued it for the last half decade,

...and stat, not "Daz Soon".

...or return the price I originally paid for it in store credit so I can get a foothold on the next generation figures they are spending all this time on developing instead of fixing what really is broke.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DAZ makes dollies. When has this ever been a secret?

Hex is like Latin. Great language, a lot of people use it, but it's dead.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

De mortuis nil nisi bonum

edited June 2013

ManStan said:
    DAZ makes dollies. When has this ever been a secret?

Hex is like Latin. Great language, a lot of people use it, but it's dead.

..and that is what sucks (apologies for the language) because Hexagon could be a wonderful tool that dovetailed nicely withStudio and Bryce to make a really powerful 3D suite.

Since the merger back in 2009, l feel Daz had lost it's direction.

..but again, that;s just my two Zlotys worth and when has that ever mattered

Listening to music from Mr Gershwin right now, at leas there are still a few positive things left in the world.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

=>

Post edited by ManStan on
  • shiku316shiku316 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

hexegon used to crash a lot on me, until i found out that it was in part do to the ati control app, so i just uninstalled it and only installed the driver, since then i don`t have problems,( except when i try to open an obj file by double clicking it outside of hexagon, xd but other than that im very happy with hexagon, although bones and animation would be welcomed.

edited December 1969

...I have an nVidia GPU with 1GB GDDR5 that has the latest OGL drivers and Hex keeps freezing up on me as bad as it did on my notebook that has the Intel GMA integrated graphics.

No, it's a bug in the software that has not been attended to for over five years.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I have an nVidia GPU with 1GB GDDR5 that has the latest OGL drivers and Hex keeps freezing up on me as bad as it did on my notebook that has the Intel GMA integrated graphics.

No, it's a bug in the software that has not been attended to for over five years.

Hello,

There is a bug/problem with Hexagon attempting to use multi-processors.
    Please try:- Open nVidia control panel-> Managed 3d settings. Change the option:- "Threaded Optimization" to "Off"

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Please try:- Open nVidia control panel-> Managed 3d settings. Change the option:- "Threaded Optimization" to "Off"

I will give that a try.

Once I started using LAA a lot of crashes I was getting went away.

Because of some crashes with booleans, I could not use the latest Hexagon update and have stayed on 2.5.0.5. Maybe this will fix those crashes so I can go to 2.5.1.79

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Hello,

...this needs to be updated as when one needs to use other apps that take advantage of the multithreading you need to go back into the preferences and turn that back on every time. Five+ years and they couldn't find the time to fix this, but instead roll out three new versions of the Studio app, Three versions of Carrara, a new (sort of) version of Bryce, another generation of their millennium core figures, and two generations of the new Genesis? That is just sloppy.

That also doesn't explain why was this an issue on my old system which didn't have multi-threading as it was the Intel integrated chipset.

If Daz has no intent or incentive to update Hex, fix these bugs, and bring it into the 64 bit world, then thy should either sell it to someone who would, or put it in the grave and wash their hands of it all.

I've already started working with Blender, It's an uphill climb sure, but at least it's stable.

I just wish I could get my 54$ back that I paid for an app I couldn't use.

• YngweyYngwey Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

That you can't navigate the view with pan, rotate, zoom at the same time with user adjustable mouse controls is just crazy. I bet it's the biggest reason why Hexagon isn't more popular. It's just ridiculous. It's something like the lack of ngons were in Blender: "Yeah, we don't need ngons, they ruin the topology of objects." Now when ngons are in Blender it's like zillion times better than before.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Welcome to the software technology of the twentieth century!

• Eric3dddEric3ddd Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

To answer the topic title, I would have to say it happened on April 13, 2006, when the Hexagon code became separated from its developers. Development of new features essentially stopped then, and all we got are bug fixes.

What Hexagon really needs is a complete rewrite. Maintain the user interface, tools, and shortcuts, but put them on a new, robust foundation built for performance, speed and upgradability. (I know it's a lot easier to write this sentence than to make it happen). Since Daz is not focused on making 3D modeling tools, the best we can hope for is for Hexagon to be sold to another developer.

On April 13, 2006, DAZ Productions Inc. of Draper, Utah, acquired Eovia Corp. of Mountain View, California. The following Q&A will provide additional insight to this acquisition.

Q. What did DAZ acquire?
    A. DAZ Productions (www.daz3d.com) acquired Eovia Corp. based in Mountain View, California USA, and the Hexagon software and technology. The acquisition includes Eovia's North American Headquarters and Eovia's 3D modeling, animation and rendering software, Carrara. Additionally DAZ has acquired the Eovia Hexagon 3D polygonal modeling software and technology from Eovia Europe, S.A. DAZ Productions has not acquired Eovia Europe, S.A. or Eovia Europe's Amapi Software.

Q. What was the acquisition price for Eovia?
    A. Since both DAZ Productions and Eovia Corp. are privately held companies, the terms of this agreement remain confidential.

Q. Will the Eovia products change names?
    A. The Carrara and Hexagon products will be branded with the DAZ name. This process will take place over time as new releases provide the opportunity to update physical packages, splash screens, etc. However, the products will immediately become known as DAZ Carrara and DAZ Hexagon in communications and on the DAZ website.

Q. Will DAZ support all Eovia products?
    A. DAZ plans to continue to fully support and develop Carrara and Hexagon, and the plug-ins that work with these applications. Technical support for these products will also remain uninterrupted via email at [email protected] for the time being. Any changes in support contacts will be communicated at a later date.

Q. Can I still purchase Eovia products at the eovia.com website?
    A. Yes. During the transition, the Eovia (www.eovia.com) website will be active and functional for making purchases for an as yet-to-be-determined period of time. As soon as product information can be made available on the DAZ website, a redirect will be provided, and products will begin being sold through the DAZ webstore.

Q. How can I purchase Carrara and Hexagon from outside the U.S.?
    A. International orders may be made on the Eovia webstore for making purchases for an as yet-to-be-determined period of time. As soon as product information can be made available on the DAZ website, a redirect will be provided, and products will begin being sold through the DAZ webstore.

Q. Can I still get French versions of Carrara and Hexagon? How will they be supported?
    A. Yes. French versions of Carrara and Hexagon will still be available. Outside the U.S., Technical support is available by e-mailing [email protected]. This e-mail address will likely change once the transition is complete. However complete contact information will be provided as these contacts change. For the time being, support will continue to be provided in both English and French languages.

Q. Did DAZ Acquire Amapi?
    A. No, the Amapi software and technology are not a part of the acquisition by DAZ.

Q. What happens to Amapi?
    A. DAZ will not take ownership of Amapi, and will not sell or support installations of Amapi software. Eovia Europe will continue to provide support on the Amapi product line. All inquiries concerning Amapi should be directed to [email protected].

Q. Will the company(s) change locations?
    A. DAZ Productions will remain in Draper, Utah, and the Eovia Corp. office will remain in Mountain View, California.

Q. Any changes to management?
    A. The DAZ management team will remain intact. Key member of Eovia Corp.'s management, marketing and software development teams based in Mountain View, California, will join as employees of DAZ and work from the Mountain View office.

Q. I am an Eovia reseller, what happens now, who should I call?
    A. All reseller questions should be directed to Bob Stockwell, Director of Sales and Marketing, +1 (650) 938-0515 x101 or e-mail at [email protected]

Q. I am a member of the press, who can I call for more information?
    A. Please contact Karen Smyth, Corporate Marketing Manager, DAZ Productions,
    +1 (650) 938-0515, [email protected]

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

and all we got are bug fixes.

Most of which introduced even more bugs !

The main one being that the latest version locks up if one tries to load/work on a model made using a previous version. Durr.

Post edited by RedSquare on
  • edited December 1969

I bought Hex when it first came out and updated it to the newer versions as they came out. For a number of years I had no time to work with this program but am getting back into it. I was shocked at the way DAZ has let one of the best modeling programs out there die on the vine, what an absolute short sighted waste.

I agree with a previous poster that the best thing that could happen is to have DAZ sell off Hexagon to someone who will move it forward. DAZ is focused on the poser market and Studio so let Hexagon go, they could even release it into the public domain for development. It is just far to good of a product to let languish in DAZ's closet of abandoned software. I remember when this program came out it was growing in popularity like a rocket now it is all but dead.

Shame on you DAZ for killing off one of the industries best. If you want this program develop it, if not let it go.

edited December 1969

.....+1.

• Digital_DreamsDigital_Dreams Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

I use Hexagon for all my creations.
    When I was going to school for my Associated in Graphic Design, we had 3DsMax class. By FAR I like Hexagon soo much better. I hate the interface of 3DsMax. But I will say, Max crashes a lot less than Hexagon. I am LUCKY if I get through the day with only one or two crashes... but the average is about four. I'm using a laptop beyond the recommended specs. An auto save that saves sequential files would be soo awesome... How many times have we all been "in the zone" and just forget to save? lol Which makes the crashes so much more an annoying pain in the derriere!
    I have a feeling that if DAZ or whoever has rights over the programing, really work out the bugs and add a few more features, I have a feeling that It will become "industry standard" like Poser, Max and the like.

edited October 2013

...that is enlightening to know that 3DS Max is that unstable. Surprising considering the cost.

When I made Hexagon "large address aware", a lot of the issues I had been experiencing vanished.It is now actually quite stable and no longer freezes up on me. I still wish it had 64 bit support, had a better UV unwrapping tool, and could import more file formats. The UI is so much better than other modelling apps I've seen.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330
    edited December 1969

I use Hexagon daily, and though there is the occasional crash, I've learned to stay away from certain functions that bring on that negative result. I'd pay good money for an upgrade to Hexagon 3.0 if it ever came out, better UV unwrapping, real 3D painting, some plugin capabilities.

edited December 1969

KBabcock said:
    I bought Hex when it first came out and updated it to the newer versions as they came out. For a number of years I had no time to work with this program but am getting back into it. I was shocked at the way DAZ has let one of the best modeling programs out there die on the vine, what an absolute short sighted waste.

I agree with a previous poster that the best thing that could happen is to have DAZ sell off Hexagon to someone who will move it forward. DAZ is focused on the poser market and Studio so let Hexagon go, they could even release it into the public domain for development. It is just far to good of a product to let languish in DAZ's closet of abandoned software. I remember when this program came out it was growing in popularity like a rocket now it is all but dead.

Shame on you DAZ for killing off one of the industries best. If you want this program develop it, if not let it go.

I totally agree. This is a beautiful program and it's sad to see it die like that. I use Max most of the time, but there are somethings that works better in Hex. So I have to import into hex constantly. The tweak tool makes everything look organic and the extruder is fantastic. The uv editor was a complete time saver.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Same here. I love Hexagon, as many people do. But how should we let DAZ know about this?
    Maybe we should start some kind of petition for a further Hex development. If enough people join, DAZ can hardly ignore it. Hopefully :-)

edited December 1969

I think they'd be better off if they sold it. I'd like to see what Audodesk would do with it. LoL...i have Max set up to look like Hex, since I love Hex so much.

edited October 2013

...well for one the price would probably jump up to 800 - 1,000$ leaving Blender as the only affordable modelling option for those of us on a tight budget.

Second, there would be no more Daz - Hex bridge.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well for one the price would probably jump up to 800 - 1,000$ leaving Blender as the only affordable modelling option for those of us on a tight budget.

Second, there would be no more Daz - Hex bridge.

What does Hex have over Blender outside of that bridge that keeps Hex a viable competitor for modeling software?

edited December 1969

...a more intuitive and well laid out UI that is similar to other graphics applications as well as consistency in operation, thus making it (the application) easier to learn so that more time can be devoted to the task of actually modelling.

Even Andrew Price has admitted how unintuitive Blender's interface is for many and how that is what often turns potential users away. In two video presentations he has pointed out a number of areas where the UI falls short of what makes a successful programme from the user's POV, and thus has made learning curve of adapting just to the application alone more difficult than it needs to be. The discussion primarily centered around inconsistencies in (and improving) how tools operate, how parameters are displayed, defaults are set, how the UI is visually laid out when the programme is opened, and how poorly the programme communicates with the user (such as the lack of progress monitors and warnings/prompts).

There is to be a third and final installment in the series which will outline suggestions for "cleaning up" and streamlining the UI.

The way I see it, I'd like to have Blender open to a screen with a basic toolset that involves the primary focus of the application: modelling, rather than rendering and animation, which are secondary operations. Adopting a "tab" or "room" setup like say Daz Studio, Poser, Carrara have would also make it a lot "cleaner" and more elegant.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Indeed, I'm looking forward to the third instalment. Perhaps wishful thinking, something good may come out of his initiative. So far no flame war which is quite encouraging. We will see I guess.