Lighting Tutorial by Laticis Imagery - Pretty good

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Laticis said:

" Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life. "

Tell me about it, now I hate the sight and smell of fish.
  • Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

LOL

I feel the same way about camping and mosquitoes :)

edited April 2013

Seeing Scott's image of Dave has inspired the following images.

No additional lights have been used in these images and no post work, purely a variance of existing
    parameters from the tutorial and a change to the background image.

First two images Default David except for eyes.
    Second image has minor refining to David's surface parameters and the addition of a prop.
    Third Bree under modified settings.

These examples show how important your objects surface parameters can be.
    These images still need refining to improve balance.

Happy rendering :)

LI_PLT_Test_Image_01.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 377K
    LI_PLT_Test_Image_02.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 408K
    LI_PLT_Test_Image_02A.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 410K
    Post edited by Laticis Imagery on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Nice! I'm happy with how mine turned out (though, after posting it, I decided the specularity was a bit high) but I think he looks even better under the warmer lighting. Whatever you did with the eyes looks really good, too!

edited December 1969

Nice! I'm happy with how mine turned out (though, after posting it, I decided the specularity was a bit high) but I think he looks even better under the warmer lighting. Whatever you did with the eyes looks really good, too!

I feel I have gone to far with the warmer lights, maybe a bit to saturated. ( too yellowish for my liking )

The eyes are an ongoing thing...if I remember correctly most of the his eyes actually belong to Bree :)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2013

I finally bought the tutorial and got around to doing it. The example using Bree for me came out great (at least imo); however, I'm having some issues with olive skin tones. I purchased Yasmin when it came out a few days ago and I'm having problems getting her skin to come out a lighter brown as opposed to orange looking. Attached is my Bree result, and my Yasmin attempt.

With Yasmin, I altered the color of your included background and put 142 117 101 on the Distant Light 1 color, and 166 148 136 on the UE2 color. I've tried with varied intensities on DL1, but it doesn't seem to get any better.

Store page for Yasmin- http://www.daz3d.com/fw-yasmin

/edit
    When I tried Yasmin using her own skin, but leaving the lights with the blue tints, she came out pinkish.

LaticisTutorial_Yasmin-BreeLights.jpg
    600 x 600 - 150K
    LactisTutorial_yasminOrange.jpg
    600 x 600 - 137K
    LactisTutorial_gammecorrectionOFF.jpg
    600 x 600 - 146K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I finally bought the tutorial and got around to doing it. The example using Bree for me came out great (at least imo); however, I'm having some issues with olive skin tones. I purchased Yasmin when it came out a few days ago and I'm having problems getting her skin to come out a lighter brown as opposed to orange looking. Attached is my Bree result, and my Yasmin attempt.

With Yasmin, I altered the color of your included background and put 142 117 101 on the Distant Light 1 color, and 166 148 136 on the UE2 color. I've tried with varied intensities on DL1, but it doesn't seem to get any better.

Store page for Yasmin- http://www.daz3d.com/fw-yasmin

/edit
    When I tried Yasmin using her own skin, but leaving the lights with the blue tints, she came out pinkish.

Thanks for the sale, I really hope it helps :)

This is biggest problem we face, lighting is not the only solution or means to a great render.
    Understanding that Surfaces Tab is just as important.

Your Bree render is great, her setup works wonder under these basic lights, she is after all a DAZ Elite Texture.

I wont comment on Yasmin yet...I will had her to my cart, do some testing and then get back to you with some answers.
    I have a feeling it could be SSS related...we shall see.

Cheers Laticis

PS. The real challenge would be having both characters in the one scene both looking good ;)

edited May 2013

Oh it's already helped tons. That Bree render is the most realistic looking one I've done since starting with DS. They usually come out looking rubbery like Gumby (lol), but I don't have/use many of the Elite textures. The tutorial was great and was very easy to follow (although I did do different renders because I saw I had a Gamma Correction on/off button that you didn't at the time- now I know what that does lol). Now all we need is a dial spinning course from you. Haha :P

I think I'll stick to taking it one character at a time. o_O

/edit
    Thanks for taking a look at Yasmin. The skin actually looks pretty nice on Asobi. lol

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Great to hear that it helped and was easy to follow :)

A while back the turning point for me was UberEnvironment2 - love that light.
    Now hopefully you have your turning point.

Gamma Correction - I have only done one test with that on so far....it wasn't pretty :)

LOL - I do love spinning those dials.

No probs, she is sitting there with a few other items, will see what comes out tomorrow then make the purchase.
    Which means in a day or so I will have some results and some careful feedback.

If you ever go looking for another skin might I recommend: http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-5-elite-texture-nichole
    I have been doing a little work with her lately and she is certainly up there with Bree.

• DifferentlyAliveDifferentlyAlive Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to add my thanks for the simple, easy to follow tutorial Laticis!

Looking forward to part 2......

Cheers,
    Frank

edited December 1969

FQIrving said:
    Just wanted to add my thanks for the simple, easy to follow tutorial Laticis!

Looking forward to part 2......

Cheers,
    Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to comment and the purchase, much appreciated :)

Cheers Adriano

edited December 1969

Vaskania,

You wouldn't believe it, one of the only times I've had cart troubles and it had to be now.

I have submitted ticket....order paid for but no goods :(

edited December 1969

Hi Vaskania,

This was my first test render with Yasmin under the same lighting conditions as Bree from the Tutorial.

This is the Base Mat loaded from:

People / Genesis / Characters / FW_Art / FW_Yasmin / Skin + Makeup / Basemat

FW_Yasin_Test_01.jpg
    500 x 500 - 104K
    edited December 1969

Well it certainly wasn't SSS are the DS Preset doesn't have it...

Is this a little better..

FW_Yasin_Test_02.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 375K
    edited December 1969

Little...a lot better. :P

edited December 1969

Hey there Pete :)

Test 3

FW_Yasin_Test_03.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 387K
    edited December 1969

Hey long time no speak Laticis, hows you doing this evening?

Very cool..and I am not going to mention the blue eye whites. ;) I do think it cool though.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Hey long time no speak Laticis, hows you doing this evening?

Very cool..and I am not going to mention the blue eye whites. ;) I do think it cool though.

yeah it feel like ages...not bad mate...hope yours is going well.

No mentioned anything about eyes...just skin :)

edited December 1969

LOL Sorry yeah the skin looks awesome.. :)

edited December 1969

I'm on my phone atm, but yes! You have her looking MUCH better. I have no idea how she's so brown in the promos.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    LOL Sorry yeah the skin looks awesome.. :)

LMAO

Oh that should have been " No one mentioned..."

edited December 1969

Well I am mentioning them..so there. :P

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I'm on my phone atm, but yes! You have her looking MUCH better. I have no idea how she's so brown in the promos.

ah ha...those promo images where done in Poser :)

edited December 1969

Laticis said:
    Vaskania said:

Doh. >. <<br /> I've never used Poser outside of I think it was Debut that was offered free last year. I opened it I think twice and said never again. Lol
    No idea what it's capable of that DS isn't.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Laticis said:
    Vaskania said:

Doh. >. <<br /> I've never used Poser outside of I think it was Debut that was offered free last year. I opened it I think twice and said never again. Lol
    No idea what it's capable of that DS isn't.

I have Poser too and rarely use...different strokes for different folks :)

edited December 1969

It was the interface, I couldn't wrap my head around it. Same reason Bryce bugs me.

Btw, feel like letting me in on Yasmin's lighting secret? ;)

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    It was the interface, I couldn't wrap my head around it. Same reason Bryce bugs me.

Btw, feel like letting me in on Yasmin's lighting secret? ;)

Funny thing...Bryce started my whole 3D path :)

Sure do...No Lighting change at all.....the only change I have made is to her Surface Diffuse Colour ( a yellow green )

249 255 238 for this latest render.

It is for this reason and it cant be stressed enough...Lighting and Surface Parameters go hand in hand.

edited December 1969

No lighting? This should be interesting. I'll give this a shot when I'm on my PC later. Thanks. :)

edited December 1969

Yep no change at all to the original set up...let me know how you go :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I have trouble lighting characters inside rooms. Is the tutorial helpful for this?