InaneGlory's Photo Studio Lux and the Photo Studio Bundle - Now Available [Commercial]

InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
edited May 2013 in The Commons

A couple of years ago while crossing a lake in a kayak, a few different thoughts and ideas I’d been having on lighting coalesced into one cohesive vision. That vision became the basis behind what became the original Photo Studio. And while Photo Studio 2 and 3 both expanded and filled out the core concepts behind that idea, there was one aspect of my vision that never really came to light until now.

Part of the idea was always to create a set of lights that would work across boundaries. One set of lights that would create the same light in different software platforms. That was the dream and until recently it has remained just that, a dream. At first I tried The Photo Studio lights in Poser. P8/PP2010 was still all bright and shiny new at the time and Area/Mesh Lights where a brand new feature in Poser but there was no joy down that road. The differences between how the Area Lights worked in the 3Delight and Firefly render engines where just too great to bridge. What worked wonderfully in one platform wasn’t so great in the other. Dejected, I put that aspect of the vision away and I worked to make the original Photo Studio lights all they could be in just one platform (DS). Then Reality came out and I dreamed the dream again but it wasn’t to be. While the lights would work, most of what made them special got left behind in DS, and you had to set everything up by hand in LuxRender, every time you wanted to use them. Workable, but not the quick easy, reliable results solution I was looking for either.

But now with the ability to create LuxRender materials from within DS that the Luxus plugin provides I can finally do what I’ve always wanted. In fact, I can do more than that. I can give you one single set of lights that will work perfectly in Daz Studio and also in LuxRender. Here are a few comparison render in both DS and LuxRender. On the right are promos from the original Photo Studio sets, on the left are re-renders of the (mostly) same scene using Photo Studio Lux and LuxRender. Now the one thing you need to keep in mind is I’ve been using DS for over 7 years now, I know surfaces and lighting in DS like the back of my hand. LuxRender I’ve been using less than a month. Lighting, I’ve got a real good feel for, surfaces not so much. Lots of what you see are actually default Luxus texture conversions.

Promo_05_PS1.jpg
845 x 650 - 395K
Promo_04_PS2.jpg
845 x 650 - 437K
Promo_02_PS3.jpg
845 x 650 - 403K
Promo_01_PS2.jpg
845 x 650 - 384K
Post edited by InaneGlory on

Comments

• InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited May 2013

InaneGlory's Photo Studio Lux
    Price: Intro Sale Price $9.07
    Release Date: 05-03-13

Photo Studio Lux will be a fully stand alone item (requires Luxus) but will also be a companion set for the other 3 Photo Studios.
    A User Guide is included in the readme folder

Main1Lg.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 928K
    edited May 2013

InaneGlory's Photo Studio Bundle
    Price: Intro Sale Price $48.27
    Release Date: 05-03-13

Includes:
    InaneGlory's Photo Studio
    InaneGlory's Photo Studio 2
    InaneGlory's Photo Studio 3
    InaneGlory's Photo Studio Lux

All the installers have been updated to load into the same folder and all the users guides load in the read me folder

PhotoStudioBundle.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 929K
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Looks great. Might have to pick this up! :-)

edited December 1969

Here are a couple straight renders from LuxRender

Promo_03.jpg
    845 x 650 - 394K
    Promo_06.jpg
    845 x 650 - 380K
  • glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305
    edited December 1969

Some images made with a beta version of Photo Studio Lux (posted before)

Personally, I like the the ease of use of the lights in this set. You can pick one of the presets and do some quick and easy adjustments and ready to go. Or select individual lights and make your own setup. A small DS preview render will give a good impression if the lights are positioned right. And once exported to Luxrender, you can do some fine tuning with the lights (colour, gain and - my favourite - black body temperature). Just don't forget to enable the Luxrender GUI in Daz Studio/Luxus.

For my renders, I used a fully enclosed space, Now while this may slow down the S/p count somewhat (takes more time to calculate the samples), in my experience it also reduces noise much quicker due to the higher Efficiency rate, In other words, more bang for your bucks...
    And don't forget to try the various film response settings.... that's the nice thing of Luxrender; make adjustments while rendering and watch the effects....

(No experimenting done with the skin of the characters, a straight conversion of US2 materials by Luxus. So far I've not yet been able to get better results with all the various settings mentioned in other posts, still need a lot to learn in that area. Only done some minor adjustments for the eyes )

Distracted.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 640K
    Dora_400NC-Luxrender.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 354K
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited December 1969

Excellent renders glaseye! The girl with the dog is quite charming, and I like the rim light a lot on the other one.
    cheers!

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

I can not count the times I have used Photo Studio 2 and 3 in DAZ Studio.
    Lux users are in for a real treat. :)

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

this sounds interestiing :)

• peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited December 1969

Do I have this correct? TBA > Soon ?

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

Having purchased Studios 2 & 3, I would purchase this new set in a second.

edited December 1969

pete.c44 said:
    Do I have this correct? TBA > Soon ?

Soon has always been kind of a dirty word around here so I generally avoid using it. And at this point I'm not exactly in control of just when but I believe it should be 'soon' as in sometime next week. At least that's the info I have right now :)

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

As promised... Purchased this morning and already have been playing with this.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

These lights are wonderful, I wasn't getting anything at all pleasing out of lux until I used these.

Here are a couple of renders

robots5a.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 155K
    red-head.jpg
    636 x 900 - 253K
    edited December 1969

Here's a couple more.

cista2.jpg
    848 x 1199 - 292K
    1.jpg
    848 x 1199 - 216K
    edited December 1969

Couple more.

bluebird1.jpg
    1200 x 848 - 255K
    Angel1.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 467K
    edited December 1969

Wow Scorpio, those look amazing!

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited December 1969

Dang Scorpio, every time you post a picture, I take a hit to my self esteem. You are a true artist. Excellent images, as always.

edited December 1969

Thank you both, the lights are a pleasure to work with as always. I think if it hadn't been for thee Luxus would have been one of those things that sat on my computer unused.

An other one.

alley1.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 337K
  • R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

great pictures scorpio64dragon.
    can you tell me what model (skin) you used for the red head in the first post? those freckled skin looks wondelful.

edited December 1969

Thank you R25S, the texture is the Elite Amy one for V4,
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-elite-texture-amy

edited December 1969

Oh; I have Elite Amy but never noticed that she had this beautiful skin... maybe because the resolution of my renders wasn't high enough... (I have to try higher resolution)
    Thanks for the Info

edited December 1969

Amy is one of my favourite textures.

I added a point light to this one for the candle.

dragon2.jpg
    900 x 636 - 378K
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

I just bought the Lux set and I am looking forward to trying it out. I will post a render as soon as I have a chance to play around. I think this lighting solution is going to be a perfect compliment to the work I've been trying to do with skin settings.

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Cross posted from the Luxus discussion thread

I used Photo Studio Lux for this render.

gothchicktredzlux.jpg
    675 x 1080 - 114K
    edited December 1969

Cross posted from the Luxus discussion thread

I used Photo Studio Lux for this render.

Very pretty

edited December 1969

While testing Photo Studio Lux with backdrop props from Photo Studio 1-3 I started noticing that the background always looked very dark. It first I thought it was my ineptitude with LuxRender materials that was the issue but in the end the solution was simpler and more basic than that. Backdrop Lighting. Normally this is a staple in any photo studio setup but because of differences in light in Daz Studio usung a backdrop light isn't normally necessary. In fact most of the time your fighting to keep to much light off the backdrop. The basics of using a backdrop light is pretty simple, select one of the individual lights and place the light (or lights) between your subject and the backdrop facing towards the backdrop. You can place them to the sides or above or down at ground level just outside the frame of your camera.

Here's an example of a picture with and without backdrop lighting
    - Both of these are unfinished WIP pics used just to illustrate the effect of backdrop lighting.

C24LuxSkin.jpg
    771 x 1000 - 526K
    C24CU.jpg
    771 x 1000 - 497K
    edited December 1969

While testing Photo Studio Lux with backdrop props from Photo Studio 1-3 I started noticing that the background always looked very dark. It first I thought it was my ineptitude with LuxRender materials that was the issue but in the end the solution was simpler and more basic than that. Backdrop Lighting. Normally this is a staple in any photo studio setup but because of differences in light in Daz Studio usung a backdrop light isn't normally necessary. In fact most of the time your fighting to keep to much light off the backdrop. The basics of using a backdrop light is pretty simple, select one of the individual lights and place the light (or lights) between your subject and the backdrop facing towards the backdrop. You can place them to the sides or above or down at ground level just outside the frame of your camera.

Here's an example of a picture with and without backdrop lighting
    - Both of these are unfinished WIP pics used just to illustrate the effect of backdrop lighting.

Thanks for including these instructions for those of us who are lighting challenged! That being said, I kind of like the unlit backdrop in this case. The backdrop lighting kind of changed the lighting on the girl, and the texture of the backdrop has a cool grungy look in unlit render. But I'm sure most of the time this would not be preferred.

edited December 1969

IG, I'm trying to understand the concept of gel lights. I've never used them before. Is the idea similar to a gobo like we used in theater?

edited May 2013

I bought it this weekend and try a little scene...

Anne.png
    946 x 570 - 889K
    Post edited by R25S on
  • glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305
    edited May 2013

Another experiment with Photo Studio Lux and Luxrender.

Came to the same conclusion as InaneGlory regarding background light; for this render I started with the X1 set, but added an additional softbox for the background lighting.....

Again no experimenting with lux materials on the skin and hair- just US2 mats conversion done by luxus - but did experiment with the eye-materials, clothing and jewelry... (I guess I overdid it with the eyes..)

About 900 S/p but needs a little more.... (still some noise left)

For reference a screen capture of the scene setup, a fully enclosed room, but with the side wall set invisible for this screencap
    The 2nd softbox isn't visible as it is position inside the 'window prop' , the backlight is behind the prop, shining through it.....

Peaches-01-DAZ.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 1M
    Peaches-Scene.JPG
    850 x 1008 - 110K
    Post edited by glaseye on