OT: Need Computer Calendar

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,188
edited October 2017 in The Commons

After 22 years of using Microsoft mail programs, and converting my hoard of mail and contacts to accommodate each new "improvement" (Outlook, OutlookExpress, WindowsMail, WindowsLiveMail), I finally give up. frown  The latest SNAFU is that it seems that Windows Live Mail on Windows7 has a well known bug about not honoring your request to be notified when a calendar event occurs.  It used to do it.  How did they break it? 

Regardless, nobody seems to have THE answer, there are lots of "try this, or try that" but no official word from Microsoft other than it isn't supported on Windows10 (which probably means that the people who wrote it don't work there anymore) and I'll be damned if I'm going to move to yet another Microsoft mail program.  Yeah, yeah, I could shell out $$$ for the official Microsoft mail program "Outlook" (it used to be free, remember?) but it's overkill for what I need and I don't have $$$ to throw at a mail program. indecision

So..., what I need is advice on a good reliable mail program AND a good reliable simple calendar program that pops up (or emails) alarm notices when an event occurs.  Any advice?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,858

an iPad cheeky

• Thunderbird works, I use it for reminding me to take the bin down.

• I use Google Calendar. Because it's in the cloud, you can access it from a smartphone as well as your PC. I use Thunderbird as a mail client, but tend to do most of my mail on the phone these days.
  • I use Google Calendar. Because it's in the cloud, you can access it from a smartphone as well as your PC.

Same.

• Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899
    edited October 2017

I used to use Pegasus Mail (it's still around) because it was free and worked well.  I haven't used it in a long time since I get the full Office Pro through work (Microsoft HUP program, about $15) so I use the full Outlook now, but check it out.  Free is a good price.

Edit: Looking through the huge list of features, I don't actually see Calendar listed in there anywhere, and I never used one so I'm not even sure if it has it.  Sorry.  My bad.

Post edited by Stryder87 on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited October 2017
    I use Google Calendar. Because it's in the cloud, you can access it from a smartphone as well as your PC. I use Thunderbird as a mail client, but tend to do most of my mail on the phone these days.

Me too - simple and it works. If necessary I can link my Macbook (laptop) calender to my Google calender too but I normally just access it in the browser. I'm guessing I could do the same with Windows 10 but I don't use my PC for day-to-day applications (it is just there for DAZ Studio, really).

Post edited by marble on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,405

Does it notify when you have something coming up or on the day you have something?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,188
    edited October 2017
    frank0314 said:

Does it notify when you have something coming up or on the day you have something?

No. sad  It just stopped notifying at all.  It keeps track of the items in my calendar, single items, as well as recurring items but I get no emails or pop up windows anymore.  I can find my items if I open the calendar and look for them but notifications never happen.  I'm getting older, my memory is getting less reliable and I've missed a couple of appointments scheduled sometimes as much as 6 months in advance but now are not floating at the top of my mind. surprise

I've experimented trying different notifications intervals and nothing works. frown  Yeah, I guess I could get in the habit of checking my calendar everyday but I shouldn't have to when my scheduled events are often weeks or months apart.

If it has no alarm system I have no use for it. I have short term memory problems do to a few head injuries so I forget a lot. I currently have a calender with everyhting on it and it sits right next to me so I can look at it daily and know whats going on. I have a regular alarm on my desktop that is set to go off when it's time for me to take my meds. I'd like to have something that makes my life a little easier.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    frank0314 said:

If it has no alarm system I have no use for it. I have short term memory problems do to a few head injuries so I forget a lot. I currently have a calender with everyhting on it and it sits right next to me so I can look at it daily and know whats going on. I have a regular alarm on my desktop that is set to go off when it's time for me to take my meds. I'd like to have something that makes my life a little easier.

I have a little stand up desk calendar, which shows one month at a time.  I have a set of coloured highlighters and fill in the days I need to remember.  Colour coding them helps.

Desk Calendar

Color coding is a good idea

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited October 2017
    marble said:
    I use Google Calendar. Because it's in the cloud, you can access it from a smartphone as well as your PC. I use Thunderbird as a mail client, but tend to do most of my mail on the phone these days.

Me too - simple and it works. If necessary I can link my Macbook (laptop) calender to my Google calender too but I normally just access it in the browser. I'm guessing I could do the same with Windows 10 but I don't use my PC for day-to-day applications (it is just there for DAZ Studio, really).

Further to this, I just checked on my Win 10 PC and yes, the built-in calendar has the facility to use my Google (Gmail) Calendar as a connected account so the Notifications do come through on my PC too. So all my devices (Android, Mac, PC) are linked to the same account.

Post edited by marble on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

This topic sounds like something that would have been on a message board in 1999

I just use Google's calender on my phone

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,188
    edited November 2017

I'll probably try the Google calendar for a while.

But I agree with the statement about this topic being familiar from 20 years ago.  Very little real progress, just much more complexity.  It used to take about 1000 bytes to send a 200 word letter, now it takes a million, and with advertisements another couple million! frown

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    Microsoft have moved everything online, just like google, and unified it under the outlook.com name.
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    Fisty said:

This is what I use, and highly recommend.