Metadata creator plugin

flashbackflashback Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

I would like to see someone make a plugin that would scan zip files and create metadata from them.
Presumably, metadata is a standardized format and it shouldn't be to hard to script/code something that would search a zipped or unzipped runtime/file structure for relevant data and then send that info to the correct place.
I would love to be able to install a non-Daz product and then actually be able to FIND it in DS4!

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This would be great. Even if it just made a basic version of the metadata and you could just edit to your specific preferences.

There are far too many steps involved in creating custom metadata for it to be a productive and worthwhile exercise for runtimes full of older/non DAZ content.

• HaslorHaslor Posts: 402
    edited December 1969

There is a Script to speed up the creation of the Scene ID's
    And you could create a script to read where you placed the items in your Content Manager.

It is the Type and Compatibility that would be an issue.

Type is used is several places and everything needs to have a Type, the more refined the better.
    In 4.5 Type is used to put the Flags on the thumbnails.
    It is also used to warn you of a possible conflict, you are putting two shirts on ActorX.
    And it may be being used for other functions, we don't see on the UI.

Compatibility is the more important of the two and I'm not sure there is a clean way to automate that process.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just I can see it.

Haslor

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It sounds like a script could automate a lot of the gruntwork, however.

• 0Empfang0Empfang Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

A suggestion: There are a lot of (older) products without metadata yet. And a lot of people are doing the work of creating the metadata for their own system. If they could export the (not user custom) essential data and upload them to a central pool, then after maybe 3 identical versions DAZ could make them downloadable in the third tab of the shop page - like the texture resources. (And give them to the product author for checking them, so that they could integrate them in the next version.)

I think that, if such a system is well established, the other vendors like Renderosity could simulate it (modified and optimised for their purpose naturally). Maybe the authors there could not test their products for DAZ Studio because they could only work with Poser (language barrier or missing documentation), but it would be a opportunity for more selling when they got a response (and maybe a metafile) which of their products is working directly, which part with manual correction and which definitely not.

And this could also be a chance, to win new artists selling products for DAZ Studio.

With best regards

Thomas G.M. Mainka

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

What I would like to see is a user-friendly way to communicate to the smart content pane how and what a file is associated with. I was thinking either a system of key words (used in the file or folder structure) that would allow the smart content to know "hey this object is associated with these materials."

Another idea is to just use a standard txt file inside the product's "libraries" runtime that would again explain to smart content "hey this object is associated with these materials." Maybe even Smart content can associate all products of a vendor with each other as well?

My final (and favorite) thought is to keep vendors creating library assets as before, but allow the user to create their own associations via the category view. My library is pretty much set up in that way (People > Victoria 4.2 > Wardrobe > Goth n Punk > Black Cat > Materials) Why cant it take those same structures to produce the smart content on the fly? This would be the best option because if I was creating my own associations like I do categories; Then while I had a "casual" top selected in the scene pane, I could see all categories where other tops could be found (related or not) but they would be segregated by my own preference ie; goth n punk, exotic, elegant, basic and so on...?

Thoughts?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

XiMiX said:

My final (and favorite) thought is to keep vendors creating library assets as before, but allow the user to create their own associations via the category view. My library is pretty much set up in that way (People > Victoria 4.2 > Wardrobe > Goth n Punk > Black Cat > Materials) Why cant it take those same structures to produce the smart content on the fly? This would be the best option because if I was creating my own associations like I do categories; Then while I had a "casual" top selected in the scene pane, I could see all categories where other tops could be found (related or not) but they would be segregated by my own preference ie; goth n punk, exotic, elegant, basic and so on...?

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying here, but this already exists (for content that is smart) -- in the Smart Content tab my own categories show up.