Carrara 8.5 renders vs Carrara 6.2.1 renders

Hi all, I have bought Carrara 8.5 pro today, and when comparing with my Carrara 6.2.1 renders, the Carrara 8.5 don't have the same render result as Carrara 6.2.1 with some examples files and sometime the render is more long under the 8.5 version what happen to Carrara 8.5 ? , i use exaclty the same settings from Carrara 6.2.1 apply on Carrara 8.5 with the same example file shipped in Carrara 8.5 version:

The Volumetrics lighting beams.car example file look good in Carrara 6.2.1 but not in Carrara 8.5, we can see some artefacts in the volumetric light.

For  Hollywood.car example file look good in Carrara 6.2.1 but in Carrara 8.5 the shadow is to accurate on the ground.

Same things with some interior scenes examples files like Day and piscine files, under the Carrara 8.5 the render result is different than Carrara 6.2.1 and take more time, i repeat  i use the same settings than Carrara 6.2.1 for the scene under Carrara 8.5, i believe Carrara 8.5 have more speed than Carrara 6.

Someone can make the same test as me and confirm this problem ? or maybe a bad settings from my side.

Comments

• CelluloCellulo Posts: 56

Well i answer myself, after some tests if i load directly the native examples files from Carrara 6.2.1 inside Carrara 8.5 , the render result in Carrara 8.5 is the same as Carrara 6.2.1, the problem occur only with the native examples files from Carrara 8.5 that don't match the native examples files from Carrara 6.2.1. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

I don't have Carrara 6 installed. Could you give us some examples of what's different? I know there are difference between 8 and 8.5 as well. 

One thing in particular to be aware of: If you save a scene that uses Texture Maps (in any channel of a shader) in Carrara 8.5, then load in into any earlier version of Carrara, the Texture Maps will show as Black. This is due to a new Texture Sampling Filter in 8.5 that doesn't exist earlier, called Fast Mipmap.

So if this happens to you, just go through all of your shaders (in the earlier version of Carrara) and set each Texture Map's Filter back to Sampling. It will be blank otherwise. 

Fenric makes a plugin that can do this across all shaders with a single operation, which is nice.

Personally, So far I like Carrara 8.5 Pro so much more that I haven't had the want or need to go back to an earlier version - especially before 8, since that was the first one to be 64 bit. But I often want to install my copy of 6 (6.5?) Pro just to check it out - for nostalgia or whatever. 

Either way, Cellulo, it's good to hear from you! I'd love to see some of those differences renders.

Some years ago i have bought a Daz book with a offer for Carrara studio 6.2.1, always like the interface and test some examples but never go further with this software it's for that, i waiting the low price of Carrara 8.5 to buy it, and today when i bought carrara 8.5  i wanted to test these same examples and it's when i test them that i see the difference in the render result between Carrara 8.5 and Carrara 6.2.1, soon i will make some screenshot to show the difference in the render result.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

yes

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Cellulo,  You might consider getting a 3 month PC+ membership to get Carrara 8.5 Pro... currently it's $19.50 at the PC+ price.  If it's a big enough difference just contact Customer Help and cancel your purchase... then afterwards buy it again at the PC+ price.  It has other perks also... just be sure to cancel it before it renews.

edited October 2017

It's too late, they take my money but thanks wgdjohn, otherwise i continu some test between Carrara 8.5 and 6.2.1 render results, for the native 8.5 examples files they are all in large scale compared to the same scenes from Carrara 6.2.1, if i load the native files from Carrara 6.2.1 inside the 8.5, renders are fine no problem.

Here a screenshot to compare the render result between CR6 and CR8, all settings are the same except in CR8 for the scale scene problem, the scale can affect the render result under CR8 ?:

EDIT: fixed the last screenshot in the image not the same.

Cr8vsCr6.png
    1280 x 1600 - 802K
    Cr8vsCr6.png
    1280 x 1600 - 902K
    Post edited by Cellulo on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I don't think the scale affects the results but here, I can see a problem with the light's FX.

May be take a look in the light's settings?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

are you using 64 bit?

I have already checked all these settings for object, lights etc.., also i have tested the native examples files shipped in the CR 7 demo, i opened them in CR8 and the render result is fine, the problem appear only with native examples files of the CR8. All people that have CR8.5 can test the examples files and see if they have the same render result than me with my screenshot.

Here the complete light effect folder with examples files from CR6 to make rendering test:

rar
    rar
    Light Effect_CR6.rar
    2M