Audubon's Birthday Sale Continues at 30% New Items and Back Catalog Sale (Commercial)

Comments

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited April 2013

Found a couple images of the Roc or Rukh

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_awaeWdWdJZw/TRu4A9eNXcI/AAAAAAAAANw/XOwgp-Tabmc/s1600/Roc.bmp

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rXfWtnbO8h4/SJG7O1FFwDI/AAAAAAAAAIU/3slbq6t09qY/s1600/ROC2.jpg

I really like the first one. In nearly every depiction I found the Roc was very eagle like, except that it seems to have a much longer neck. Being a mythical creature, i would say go with a long necked eagle shape, and then go wild, nothing says it has to have eagle colored plumage. Play around with various crests etc. the mythical creatures allow for some imaginative creativity.

another candidate for Birds of Legend 2 would be the Ziz

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
  • Voodoo128Voodoo128 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So I bought an Item from this sale and there was a promotion for a $10 coupon of $30 DAZ original products with the purchase. I never received the coupon, did anyone else?

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Voodoo128 said:
    So I bought an Item from this sale and there was a promotion for a $10 coupon of $30 DAZ original products with the purchase. I never received the coupon, did anyone else?

It says "The first week of May"....That's probably when they will go out.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,158
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    MelanieL said:
    Thanks so much for this sale, Ken - I picked up the "Mostly Parrots" bundle yesterday and just got the chance to play - nothing special render-wise, but I love your birds (I have 13 of your sets now, and hope to pick up more!) so wanted to post something here...

That is nice, Melanie! Is that set in the Enchanted Forest?
    Actually it's "Return to the Enchanted Forest" - I never got the original (one day maybe??)
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:
    Thanks so much for this sale, Ken - I picked up the "Mostly Parrots" bundle yesterday and just got the chance to play - nothing special render-wise, but I love your birds (I have 13 of your sets now, and hope to pick up more!) so wanted to post something here...

Actually it's "Return to the Enchanted Forest" - I never got the original (one day maybe??)

so you returned, but never went the first time?

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:

so you returned, but never went the first time?
    I'm an old Doctor Who fan - you can do things in any order (sequence) there - so eventually I'll have my first visit!
    (Sorry for the delay, I had to spend a couple of hours TV-time to keep hubby happy :) )

edited December 1969

Just picked up the Birds of Legend set - strangely the discount seems to be 45% not 50% on that one? Still, the birdies get a few more cents, and 45% is still a really good deal. Thanks again to Ken for (a) making these great bird models and (b) offering them in this sale.

• Songbird ReMixSongbird ReMix Posts: 289
    edited April 2013

Thanks-- and no idea why that's at 45%. In a few hours, though, everything will be back at normal prices...

With the sale winding down, I guess I'll let out the secret now... Audubon California needed the blackbird money earlier this year because it's funding was slashed by the US budget sequestration. Audubon asked if I could donate before the sale took place this year, so I did... this sale has saved at least 2,500 endangered tri-colored blackbirds from being harvested by wheat threshers. So feel good about your purchases :)

Post edited by Songbird ReMix on
  • 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Thanks-- and no idea why that's at 45%. In a few hours, though, everything will be back at normal prices...

With the sale winding down, I guess I'll let out the secret now... Audubon California needed the blackbird money earlier this year because it's funding was slashed by the US budget sequestration. Audubon asked if I could donate before the sale took place this year, so I did... this sale has saved at least 2,500 endangered tri-colored blackbirds from being harvested by wheat threshers. So feel good about your purchases :)

Wow :bug:

Thank you for stepping up and this sale :-) I've never used birds in renders before but I couldn't resist "birds of ill omen" and I got Corvus Corvus and Owl :cheese: They'll be great for Odin, Minerva and Morpheus of The Endless :-P

edited December 1969

Wow :bug:

Thank you for stepping up and this sale :-) I've never used birds in renders before but I couldn't resist "birds of ill omen" and I got Corvus Corvus and Owl :cheese: They'll be great for Odin, Minerva and Morpheus of The Endless :-P

A bird should be in every render! ...of course I'm a little prejudiced that way lol
    ..but seriously, birds are the most common wildlife interaction we have... step outside, and chances are you'll see a bird.

Thank-you for your support!

• ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited April 2013

Just purchased my items, glad I checked into this thread, I forgot it ended so soon.

Thought I'd just mention a couple of tidbits here in Colorado. 5 years ago, if anyone told me I'd see bison, bald eagles, red-tail hawks and other amazing wildlife on my way to work, I'd have laughed in their face. But just last month my brother and I (we car-pool) saw 4 bald eagles that seemed to be courting, today we saw 2 red tail hawks, some of the bison and a few deer. The eagles have apparently spread out south from the Barr Lake eagle sanctuary into the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge and beyond, the Refuge is right at the border of Commerce City, Aurora and Denver, on land once thought to be unsalvageble and was one of the Super Fund projects. Last year we started taking a new way to work, that passed a park and prairie dog habitat, right in prime building area, and I remember wondering why it remained. Man has a tendency to take what he wants. Turns out, that it's a good place for birds of prey to hunt, so the prairie dogs are left alone. My brother now goes to the convience store in that area for great coffee, and a chance to glimpse the birds.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • GhostpantherGhostpanther Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

Calling in from Germany ;-) Although I have "only" a balcony, it's looking like a small oasis ^_^ Sometimes neighbours ask me, how I do it, that my plants grow so good or how they can survive the winter - even fruit plants, wine and herbals ! Or they are really envy, that all the birds come to my balcony - and only to mine ;-) !
    I think, it has to do with the fact, that I make my own potting soil - and that birds and insects have some kind of refuge here.
    The first year with green flies all over my beautiful fruit plants was really hard, but because the tits, which bred under the gutter, came always in to look, what I was doing there, I decided not to do anything against the green flies, but to hang up some bird fat balls - in the middle of the summer :-D
    Meanwhile I feed the birds the whole year through. I have as well a small pond with a water and a swamp part, where they can bath, drink or where they can find enough material for their nests. And sometimes the birds - like the blackbirds and an old couple of wood pigeon - decide to breed on my balcony ^_^ they feel safe here !

I think, that's the main reason ;-) wherever it's possible to keep up a friendly coexistance between our different needs, nature regulates itself.
    Which means, my plants explode within 2 weeks into a small jungle and the birds keep on coming to my balcony year by year :-)

From the Audubon sale I took the bundle "Hummingbirds of the World" and "A bird in the hand" with me home, although I planned originally only the last. But at least I couldn't resist the hummingbirds :-)
    Together with the items, which I already have, that makes a wonderful collection.

edited December 1969

I've birded in southern Germany before... there's some neat birds there.

In some years, I've extended my Audubon Sale at a lesser percentage for a week... sort of as a "Catch-up" sale for those who have now played with the birds a bit and decided they needed a few more to make their their roost complete. DAZ asked me if this is one of the years' I'm be willing to do that so, yes...

Audubon Birthday sale continues for 1 week at 30% off all items in my catalog

• ryverthornryverthorn Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

I highly recommend the humming birds. They render beautifully and Ken really managed to capture that shiny iridescence and vibrant color they have.

Promo09.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I highly recommend the humming birds. They render beautifully and Ken really managed to capture that shiny iridescence and vibrant color they have.

Thank-you, Ryverthorn... and the feeling is mutual, I've been playing with your new model, Ryverwood Cottage, and found it a great spot for my birds to flock too.

sparrowsandcottage.jpg
    1368 x 843 - 220K
    edited December 1969

I thought I should give another reminder that my entire bird library, plus some other items were updated for this sale, so if you have older items you might want to refresh your downloads.

There were also a couple minor last minute fixes that didn't make it into the updates. These were to Pose Packs 1 and 2 and Shorebirds 1. The patches are available in my downloads.

Also, please show me what you picked up during the sale and rendered in this thread. Who knows, I might hand-out free copies of my "Elegant Swan" to ones I really like ;)

• Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited March 2017

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

(Laulu, I love that carefree pose and those birds are just beautiful aren't they? You've captured the happiness that birds bring to our lives.)

Here's a quick render with my new collared doves as a thank you for the fantastic sale, Ken. As you can see, the doves and Predatron's Dovecote are a perfect match and it gives me a chance to see the set from a new angle! In real life, I have a pair of these birds (sometimes more) visiting my garden and looking in my window at me every day.

I am over the moon with my birds. I don't have a huge collection yet but the sale let me pick up the ones I know I'll use time and time again. Between the two European packs and the free blackbird download I now have all my familiar feathered friends, so I couldn't be happier. My other buys from you also look great. I've now stopped by and grabbed my pose pack patch.

I have no doubt this is a collection I'll keep adding to... possibly before the end of your 30% sale. :)

collared_doves_1may.png
    600 x 532 - 457K
    edited May 2013

Thank-you both for sharing your art and bird stories... your Elegant Swan cars await :)

..and be sure to remember these or anything other bird art you do over the next year could be entered in my annual Render contest which opens January 2nd, 2014

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited May 2013

Thank you very much, Ken. I've long admired the Elegant Swan! Between this and my new birds, I predict lots of fun ahead.

I followed your link and... just wow... what an amazing standard of art in your contest. Truly inspiring.

Edit to add render: 'Upstaged' :) I doubt that I've done it justice, the detail on this model is incredible.

elegant_swan.png
    800 x 450 - 606K
    Post edited by IndigoJanson on
  • Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited March 2017

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
    edited May 2013

Thank-you and thank-you for doing a render with the car. The swan car was sort of a pet project-- something I've wanted to do for a while. It never really caught on in the marketplace, but I had fun creating it. On my website, I have another oddity (and it's a freebie)... it the "Hoot, Hoot. I Scream" Roadside Stand.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited May 2013

Ahem.

Mr. Gilliand. I have a small issue with the Race Horse Tack....

The Kentucky Derby has up to 20 horses. Even with the expansion from your website, I can only go up to 14. There is a full field of 20 horses this year, (or was, until Black Onyx scratched) and the favorite this year is number 16.

This may make doing Derby pictures difficult... :)

(I can forgive Mariah and Sickleyield on the silks, since those are copyrighted.)

As an aside, I made sure to pick up the Pixel Downs set in anticipation of the Triple Crown. Thanks for the sale. :) My favorite sports stars just happen to have four legs.

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
    edited May 2013

Ahem.

Mr. Gilliand. I have a small issue with the Race Horse Tack....

The Kentucky Derby has up to 20 horses. Even with the expansion from your website, I can only go up to 14. There is a full field of 20 horses this year, (or was, until Black Onyx scratched) and the favorite this year is number 16.

This may make doing Derby pictures difficult... :)

(I can forgive Mariah and Sickleyield on the silks, since those are copyrighted.)

As an aside, I made sure to pick up the Pixel Downs set in anticipation of the Triple Crown. Thanks for the sale. :) My favorite sports stars just happen to have four legs.

Twenty horses-- and thought I was brave rendering a scene with 14 lol. Sadly, the gate built is for only 14 and that's pretty much the width of the track and the amount of slots I have on the tote board (which is based on Santa Anita's board) . That of course, shouldn't stop me from adding a few more saddle cloth numbers. I thought 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B numbers might be cool too-- so perhaps that might happen. I've consider releasing a version of Racehorse Tack for the Millennium Horse, too. I already have it already completed-- if there's any interest?

edited May 2013

Twenty horses-- and thought I was brave rendering a scene with 14 lol. Sadly, the gate built is for only 14 and that's pretty much the width of the track and the amount of slots I have on the tote board (which is based on Santa Anita's board) . That of course, shouldn't stop me from adding a few more saddle cloth numbers. I thought 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B numbers might be cool too-- so perhaps that might happen. I've consider releasing a version of Racehorse Tack for the Millennium Horse, too. I already have it already completed-- if there's any interest?

Oh, I'm not planning on rendering them out of the gate. I'm not that insane. :) But I wanted to re-create the finishes of the Triple Crown this year, as best as I could. So I was trying to set up the top horses from the morning odds before post time.

I can probably make my own numbers, but I'm really not very good at textureing, even something that simple, so more numbers would be great as far as I'm concerned

edited May 2013

Oh, I'm not planning on rendering them out of the gate. I'm not that insane. :) But I wanted to re-create the finishes of the Triple Crown this year, as best as I could. So I was trying to set up the top horses from the morning odds before post time.

I can probably make my own numbers, but I'm really not very good at textureing, even something that simple, so more numbers would be great as far as I'm concerned

Okay, here's the deal... if one of the field horses (15-20) finish in the top four-- I'll do the saddle cloths sometime in the next few days ;)

You obvious saw the extra saddle cloths #9-14 in my downloads-- there are all sorts of other Horse Racing freebies there too (sky dome, steward's tower, more racing silks)

My 14 horse start render (in DS4.5)

calarvy_charge2.JPG
    1000 x 1300 - 245K
    edited May 2013

Okay, here's the deal... if one of the field horses (15-20) finish in the top four-- I'll do the saddle cloths sometime in the next few days ;)

You obvious saw the extra saddle cloths #9-14 in my downloads-- there are all sorts of other Horse Racing freebies there too (sky dome, steward's tower, more racing silks)

And I'll take you up on that. The winner was Orb, number 16. :cheese: (With Golden Soul (#4) to place, and Revolutionary (#3) to show.)

I've got all the Race horse downloads from your site. Thanks for those as well. :)

edited May 2013

And I'll take you up on that. The winner was Orb, number 16. :cheese: (With Golden Soul (#4) to place, and Revolutionary (#3) to show.)

I've got all the Race horse downloads from your site. Thanks for those as well. :)

Let it be said I never skip out on paying a wager... Saddle Cloths 15 through 20 and 1A are up on my website downloads :)

--------

I'll use this opportunity to remind everyone there's still a few days left on the Audubon's Birthday Catch-up Sale (everything in my store at 30% off and I'll donate at least 25% of my proceeds to Audubon.

edited May 2013

Let it be said I never skip out on paying a wager... Saddle Cloths 15 through 20 and 1A are up on my website downloads :)

And again, I thank you, sir. :)

And here is the result, in my own less than awesome way...

Derby_2013_Text.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited December 1969

DaWaterRat what a splendid render!

And to show that Ken is right about having a bird (or 3) in every render, my entry to the Stonemason contest :

xmasrose-Stonemason_contest.jpg
    800 x 600 - 489K