Could not find a valid OpenCL device. (dForce issue)

VeryAddictiveVeryAddictive Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey all,

I recently installed the latest version of DAZ Studio and wanted to try out the dForce feature for the first time, but turns out that I can't as I get greeted with this error message when I press the 'Simulate' button:

"Could not find a valid OpenCL device."

My specs are the following:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

16GB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with the latest drivers (388.00)

Intel Core i7-7700K 

I attached a screenshot of what the 'Simulation settings' tab and what it says.

I'm really confused about this and any help will be greatly appreciated!

DAZStudio_2017-10-26_16-15-58.png
611 x 774 - 17K
Post edited by VeryAddictive on

Comments

• Try rolling back to a slightly earlier driver - someone in the launch thread was saying that 388 was failing for them but 387 (I think) worked. Your GPU certainly should be supported.

• Try rolling back to a slightly earlier driver - someone in the launch thread was saying that 388 was failing for them but 387 (I think) worked. Your GPU certainly should be supported.

I guess I'll try that and see if it helps, I generally don't like rolling back to earlier drivers though, prefer to have everything up-to-date.

Thank you for replying! :)

I guess I'll try that and see if it helps, I generally don't like rolling back to earlier drivers though, prefer to have everything up-to-date.

If it is a driver issue, as the report implied, then we may hope nVidia will fix it fairly quickly.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited October 2017

Experience has generally shown that this policy is more likely to end up on the "bleeding edge" than the Leading edge with Nvidia drivers. 

Try rolling back to a slightly earlier driver - someone in the launch thread was saying that 388 was failing for them but 387 (I think) worked. Your GPU certainly should be supported.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127

Same error here.... I do not have an nvidia gpu... assume I am using cpu.... not sure what to do.

• XfitzXfitz Posts: 96

I just downloaded 4.10 and am having the same problem: “could not find a valid openCL device. “. 

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059
    Xfitz said:

I just downloaded 4.10 and am having the same problem: “could not find a valid openCL device. “. 

I'm at home on a crappy dial-up, so I can't post the links - but in the "Dependencies" section of the dForce "Start Here" thread there is a link for the Intel opencl runtime. Download and install it and you'll be able to use your cpu as an opencl device.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127

Installing the Intel opencl runtime fixed my problem... thanks namffuak.... simulation runs slow on my old pc but it works now. 

namffuak said:
    Xfitz said:

I'm at home on a crappy dial-up, so I can't post the links - but in the "Dependencies" section of the dForce "Start Here" thread there is a link for the Intel opencl runtime. Download and install it and you'll be able to use your cpu as an opencl device.

Curse me for a novice but where do I find  the "Ddependencies" section to then locate the "Stqart Here" thread?

Ok I found it under Software Discussions. Thanks. Seems to have done the trick.

• ACueACue Posts: 114

I had same problem. Until I selected my NVIDIA card as my prefered OpenCL device - under Simulation Settings / Avanced  in the OpenCL Device drop-down menu. Before then, it showed my  Intel HD graphics card as the prefered device. Then all worked fine.

• If you've got a AMD system like mine, these resources might work instead:  http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679

I have no devices to choose for open CL. I have an nvidia 1080 card.

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2017

This is interesting. OpenCL is the same thing that drives Reality and Lux Render, right? I had a terrible time with Reality Drivers and OpenCL I recall. 

Installing the Intel Drivers is all find and well, but you're using your CPU, not your GPU, if you go that way. 

​Why won't it work with Nvidia GPUs? I have a GTX 1070 and I'm getting the same problem. 

Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • I assume that, for some unknown reason, some systems may still have older drivers installed that do not support OpenCL 1.2 which is what Studio requires.

• ACueACue Posts: 114
    Granville said:

I have no devices to choose for open CL. I have an nvidia 1080 card.

I have an integrated, switchable graphics card set-up on my laptop. I assume that's why the option was presented.

• same issue with GeForce 1080 8GBytes

• I followed the advice of updating the nvidia drivers and installing the intel drivers as suggested in the start here thread. This worked.

• keycode17keycode17 Posts: 12
    edited November 2017
    Granville said:

I followed the advice of updating the nvidia drivers and installing the intel drivers as suggested in the start here thread. This worked.

for updating you mean going back to 387.92 whql (TopsuKopsu seems having problems) or for you the 388 was ok? thanks (my devices nvidia 1070   i7 7700)

Post edited by keycode17 on
  • Hi guys i get the same error from my GTX 1080 but it works with my older card GTX 980 .. my drivers are 388.13

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,352

Occasionally NVIDIA drivers can be bad. Did you just install the new card? If not did the old driver work?

• Same thing happened to me today. Few days ago it was working, today I got this "no valid OpenCL" message. And I hadn't updated my GPU drives in months. The only change on my system in the last days were the Windows updates.

After updating to the newest drivers it started working.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2017

I get the same error but not sure what to do.

EDIT: I updated the Nvidia Gaming something. Now it shows Nvidia Cuda GeForce GTX 1080 TI in OpenCL Device.

Asked me to compile and Dforce seems to be recognized now.

EBE71726-72FD-41D9-B4EA-36809CFE13CF.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 5M
    Post edited by Soto on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited November 2017

My machine was fine running dforce until I ran the latest long windows 10 upgrade. Now I can't use the driver. I did update my Nvidia driver, but still no dice.

EDIT: looks like it just needed the OPEN CL update. Thanks for posting that earlier. Odd that windows 10 upgrade messed with this install.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Help, guys!!!
    I cannot use dForce too, because "A valid OpenCL 1.2 device could not be found. Simulation using the dForce engine is not available".

I have:
    - DAZ Studio 4.10 Pro
    - Windows 8.1 Professional 64 bit
    - 16GB of RAM
    - AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor 3.40 GHz
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 Gb with nVidia driver 390.65

How can I fix this problem? What driver and where should I download to fix it?

• DazzelDDazzelD Posts: 48

NVidia has relesed an an updated driver that fixes this issue 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77

• DazzelDDazzelD Posts: 48

NVidia has released an updated driver that fixes this issue 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.77

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,476

I have this error with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M. I'll focus on the driver version and see if that helps.

• maryneim34maryneim34 Posts: 0

DAZ studio 4.10 problem OPENCL 1.2?????

"Could not find a valid OpenCL device."

My specs are the following:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

8GB

NVIDIA quadro FX 3800-1GB

Intel Core i3

I attached a screenshot of what the 'Simulation settings' tab and what it says.

I'm really confused about this and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Pleaseee! :(

ee720bd8288d59acd4edb00fb761f7.png
    101 x 128 - 5K