Solved! - Saved skeleton rigging is screwed up when loaded

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited October 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Created and rigged a custom mesh (for this month's challenge).  Grouped the mesh and the skeleton in an animation group.  Saved to my browser.  The next time I started up my computer and loaded the animation group, the skeleton size and orientation was all messed up.  

Thoughts and suggestions?  Has this happened to anyone else?  

saved skeleton problem.JPG
1424 x 1002 - 234K
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I have never had that happen. It looks to me that there is some sort of scaling issue, the skeleton looks around 5 times as large as it should be. Just a thought but is there scaling applied to the figure (ie. it was modelled larger in the Vertex Room and then scaled down in the Assembly Room). I still wouldn't have thought that should be an issue, but it's as much as I can contribute!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

I admit I do it a bit differently

I group the model and hip heirarchy then attach skeleton selecting both sub items

after that I add it to an animation group

I need to do that for iClone imports and other FBX imports anyway so do it with my own rigging too

which imports animated via dazcollada into Studio too BTW (mine not other stuff)

so maybe thats why?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thanks for the reply, Phil.  Every suggestion can help me diagnose what happened and try to avoid in the future.  I've been making silly custom figures for a while and want to continue so want to understand what happened..  

I checked the scale of the mesh and it is 100, 100, 100.  The loaded mesh matches the mesh that I saved separately.  Therefore, I think the problem is limited to the bone skeleton.  In addition to the scale, I've noticed a problem with the parts of the skeleton that were mirrored.  The right arm bones are loaded on top of the left arm bones, and the right leg bones are on top of the left arm bones.  When rigging, I had used duplicate with symmetry on each of those separately.  So, somehow in saving the skeleton (a) the scale was changed, and (b) information was lost when the miror bones were placed.

edited October 2017

Thanks for the reply, Wendy.  I think we were typing at the same time.  I will take a closer look at my grouping.  I used to save the mesh and skeleton in a regular group, not an animation group, and never had this particular problem.  But then I couldn't do NLA clips.  This might be my first brand new figure since I realized the NLA issue and saved as an animation group to start.  Maybe that is it.  Maybe I just need to save to a regular group before saving to the anmation group?  Is that your order?  Regular group within a larger animation group?

th3Digit said:

I group the model and hip heirarchy then attach skeleton selecting both sub items

I need to do that for iClone imports and other FBX imports anyway so do it with my own rigging too

which imports animated via dazcollada into Studio too BTW (mine not other stuff)

so maybe thats why?

Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

Thanks for the reply, Wendy.  I think we were typing at the same time.  I will take a closer look at my grouping.  I used to save the mesh and skeleton in a regular group, not an animation group, and never had this particular problem.  But then I couldn't do NLA clips.  This might be my first brand new figure since I realized the NLA issue and saved as an animation group to start.  Maybe that is it.  Maybe I just need to save to a regular group before saving to the anmation group?  Is that your order?  Regular group within a larger animation group?

th3Digit said:

so maybe thats why?

yes

Wendy, Thank you!  That was it.  Saved the skeleton bone rig and mesh within a regular group, then saved that to an animation group.  Back up and running - or flying in this case.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Glad you got it sorted!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210

yes That's our Wendy! yes

glad I could help heart

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

yes That's our Wendy! yes

+1 yes