Stupid Question About DAZ Original Shaders

InkuboInkubo Posts: 742
edited October 2017 in The Commons

OT: I want to be silly and call DAZ Original products "DAZ-Os" or "Dazzos" for short.

In the store there are several DAZ Original shader products such as the new https://www.daz3d.com/old-metal-shaders, but their product descriptions do not state they are merchant resources. I'm kind of shying away from buying shaders if I would have to worry about "where did this come from" after using them.

Are DAZ Original shaders automatically considered to be merchant resources? I suspect not, and if not, then does that mean they cannot be used on products submitted only to DAZ for inclusion in the DAZ store?

Post edited by Inkubo on

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

No; and they are shader presets not really shaders.

Very few shaders or presets are merchant resources.

• Inkubo said:
    Are DAZ Original shaders automatically considered to be merchant resources? I suspect not, and if not, then does that mean they cannot be used on products submitted only to DAZ for inclusion in the DAZ store?

I would say as a rule of thumb, anything not explicitly labelled as an MR, is not.

• They are, like any other content not labelled a Merchant resource, for creating images - which you can of course distribute and use as you wish (with a limited exception for the Anne Marie Goddard Digital Clone for Victoria 3).

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

Sounds like if I want to eventually create products, it doesn't make any sense to buy them. That's what I expected, but I thought it was worth asking! :-)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

It can be helpful to have content you can't sell to both learn, be inspired by, or do promotional artwork from.

edited October 2017

Yep, and I have plenty of that. But shaders are a different matter. Merchant resources or not, they're all mixed in together on the Shaders tab, so if I buy non-MR shaders, then before submitting any product to DAZ for consideration, I'll have to worry about where each one used in the product came from. Easier just to avoid them. But thanks for making your shader set a merchant resource!

Post edited by Inkubo on
  • Inkubo said:

Yep, and I have plenty of that. But shaders are a different matter. Merchant resources or not, they're all mixed in together on the Shaders tab, so if I buy non-MR shaders, then before submitting any product to DAZ for consideration, I'll have to worry about where each one used in the product came from.

You're going to have to worry about this to pack up the associated textures anyway.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Inkubo said:

Yep, and I have plenty of that. But shaders are a different matter. Merchant resources or not, they're all mixed in together on the Shaders tab, so if I buy non-MR shaders, then before submitting any product to DAZ for consideration, I'll have to worry about where each one used in the product came from. Easier just to avoid them. But thanks for making your shader set a merchant resource!

You can categorize them and put the MR shaders in their own separate folder. I made a tutorial on categorizing. See the link in my signature.
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Most of our recent shader presets are merchant recourses, just read the descriptions, it'll say.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited October 2017

What Fisty said. Most of my new ones are MR's as well. I see this trend continueing on in the future depending on how much of my source material was hand drawn or outsourced. I don't feel right about allowing MR on outsourced material, even if it would be allowed under the terms of the outsourcing.

Edit: and everything sold in the Daz store, (with a notable exception mentioned above by Richard) are commercial use allowed for renders (also mentioned above by Richard.)

Post edited by DestinysGarden on

Good tips! Thanks!