DoDo making progress ;-)

13»

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Is there any way to 'export out the hair' so it can also be used in D/S or Poser?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    edited December 1969

Is there any way to 'export out the hair' so it can also be used in D/S or Poser?
    Nope. It's a Carrara exclusive thingy.
    So, Dodo's got some hair now. Did you do the grass too? Also... is it the second image, where you shook the hair? Poor little guy can't see!!!

Okay... what did you mean by dragging something up on the left goes poof?

edited December 1969

Nope. It's a Carrara exclusive thingy.
    So, Dodo's got some hair now. Did you do the grass too? Also... is it the second image, where you shook the hair? Poor little guy can't see!!!

Okay... what did you mean by dragging something up on the left goes poof?

Right ... well that explains why none of the export attempts worked.

Actually the images landed out of order, I should start numbering them ... the real hairy one was the start image, I think it was the clicky to cut the hair that trimmed it nicely ... I have a long ways to go to master that feature, but I love it! And yes the grass was also done with "hair". Wasn't aiming for any look in particular. Just seeing if "hair" would grown on "land" as well ... and yes it does.

Have attached a cropped screen shot of the something which goes 'poof' ... are you dragging it to the top name on the list and it just zaps it or ? Thought it best to ask before I start zapping them ;-)

these.png
    504 x 400 - 123K
    edited December 1969

Yes... and that whole drag/drop system R O C K S ! ! !
    "Cntrl Drag" To copy from one channel to the next!!! :)

The video tut will make more sense when I can launch part 2.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

When importing a Poser style figure, such as V4, M4, etc. Carrara interprets Poser's shaders as best it can. For instance, I understand that specular effects are handled under one function in Poser, whereas in Carrara it's divided between two channels: Highlight and Shininess. Both work together.

What your screen shot shows is another attempt to interpret the Poser shaders. Carrara puts a multiplier into the color channel, and loads the image map in the top slot and usually sticks a color chip in the lower slot. If the chip is white, then your figures' skin will look normal, but if it's blue or green, the skin will take on that hue. If it's gray, the color of the skin may look blah. What Dart is doing is dragging the image map up and dropping it on the multiplier function. The image map the takes it's place and the multiplier is deleted. You could drag the color chip up, but then the multiplier and the image map would be deleted. Hopefully that makes sense.

Now the cool part is that you could use the multiplier to change the hue of the skin without actually altering the image map. I've used it to create everything from an Asian skin tone to a zombie skin tone all with the same image map.

Now what's even cooler than a multiplier is a mixer. You can set up one image map in slot A, and another in slot B and assign a numeric slider in the mixer channel. You can then start the slider all the way to the left at the start of an animation and at whatever point you choose, you can slide the slider all the way to the right and Carrara will animate the change from one to the other. I'd post some screen shots, but I'm in the middle of a rather long render.

Nice job on the hair as grass BTW. Here's one where I used hair to make some carpet moss. I also used a surface replicator to place the reproductive thingies on the underlying object.

Moss.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 985K
    edited December 1969

... edit ...

Now what's even cooler than a multiplier is a mixer. You can set up one image map in slot A, and another in slot B and assign a numeric slider in the mixer channel. You can then start the slider all the way to the left at the start of an animation and at whatever point you choose, you can slide the slider all the way to the right and Carrara will animate the change from one to the other. I'd post some screen shots, but I'm in the middle of a rather long render.

Nice job on the hair as grass BTW. Here's one where I used hair to make some carpet moss. I also used a surface replicator to place the reproductive thingies on the underlying object.

Awesome! That's a bonus for sure. [can't do that in D/S]

That moss is so neat. Nice to see what can be done with the program.

edited April 2013

HU for those who recently bought the Toonimal Chameleon ... it's on sale atm for 75% off :-)

Time for requesting a store credit for price difference!

Edit: in reading through a few more threads, this price might be the result of being caught in 2 sales one of which is for PC members. So it's either 50 or 75% off. Correct price should show when one in on the product page which is what I've linked to.

chameleon_sale.png
    800 x 451 - 243K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

What your screen shot shows is another attempt to interpret the Poser shaders. Carrara puts a multiplier into the color channel, and loads the image map in the top slot and usually sticks a color chip in the lower slot. If the chip is white, then your figures' skin will look normal, but if it's blue or green, the skin will take on that hue. If it's gray, the color of the skin may look blah. What Dart is doing is dragging the image map up and dropping it on the multiplier function. The image map the takes it's place and the multiplier is deleted. You could drag the color chip up, but then the multiplier and the image map would be deleted. Hopefully that makes sense.

That's not Carrara's interpretation, that's how it's set up in the poser shader.
    They have to be set up that way to compensate for the way the renderer and lighting works. Something that Carrara does not need.
    In this case it's a literal translation which would be valid in the case of using a greyscale texture map with a colour modifier to make a range of shaders.

The shader translator could be updated for the other channels though. Poser does have separate channels for highlight size and highlight intensity, it has an alternate bump channel which is not picked up, the alternate specular channel is missed too. (Should be saying nodes here). Any network of nodes is pretty much ignored so a lot of texture maps are lost. The ambient node in Poser is the equivalent of the glow in Carrara and is always ignored.

The current importer seems to be based on an older version of Poser which didn't have all these options so I think it just needs updating to match.

Now, I don't really mind this. I enjoy building my own shaders from scratch anyway, but it is nice to have a good base to start from where all the textures are already referenced.

edited December 1969

How could I ask for a lower price than what I paid for this adorable little Toonimal?
    This simple figure was a lot of fun, both making shaders, posing and animating. The eyes are really fun to rotate round - like you'd see a chameleon do - and the tail has some nice easy-pose built in. Speaking of which:

If you're working in Carrara and you drag a slider all the way, but nearly nothing happens, try dragging the arrows to the right of the slider beyond the usual "0.00 - 1.00" that Carrara wants to use.

Carrara 8.5 improves this vastly by allowing you to set what number range the slider will use - another huge animators dream from the good folks at Daz3d. *.5 also opens a scene within the directors camera, if you've saved the scene in the directors camera - I love that! I really like the work they're putting into my Carrara Pro!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

That's not Carrara's interpretation, that's how it's set up in the poser shader.
    They have to be set up that way to compensate for the way the renderer and lighting works. Something that Carrara does not need.
    In this case it's a literal translation which would be valid in the case of using a greyscale texture map with a colour modifier to make a range of shaders.

The shader translator could be updated for the other channels though. Poser does have separate channels for highlight size and highlight intensity, it has an alternate bump channel which is not picked up, the alternate specular channel is missed too. (Should be saying nodes here). Any network of nodes is pretty much ignored so a lot of texture maps are lost. The ambient node in Poser is the equivalent of the glow in Carrara and is always ignored.

The current importer seems to be based on an older version of Poser which didn't have all these options so I think it just needs updating to match.

Now, I don't really mind this. I enjoy building my own shaders from scratch anyway, but it is nice to have a good base to start from where all the textures are already referenced.

Thanks for the correction RoguePilot. I had heard what I thought was accurate information years ago, (or I mis-understood accurate information) and was operating on a flawed assumption! Good to know!

edited December 1969

How could I ask for a lower price than what I paid for this adorable little Toonimal?
    This simple figure was a lot of fun, both making shaders, posing and animating. The eyes are really fun to rotate round - like you'd see a chameleon do - and the tail has some nice easy-pose built in. Speaking of which:

If you're working in Carrara and you drag a slider all the way, but nearly nothing happens, try dragging the arrows to the right of the slider beyond the usual "0.00 - 1.00" that Carrara wants to use.

Carrara 8.5 improves this vastly by allowing you to set what number range the slider will use - another huge animators dream from the good folks at Daz3d. *.5 also opens a scene within the directors camera, if you've saved the scene in the directors camera - I love that! I really like the work they're putting into my Carrara Pro!

hehehe ... it's part of "zee plan" you see. In order to use the store credit, one must spend, are you ready, more money!

But yes, it's a good price for any of the prices it's been sold at.

edited December 1969

Little update: Took awhile to find it to move it over to V4 ... but finally got it there.

newhair.jpg
    595 x 848 - 65K
    edited December 1969

Made it back here! Okay ... found the shaders drawer. That's a fun place.

Made these and people are free to use them as they please. In ST there's something called a wormhole that gets an asteroid caught in it with the ship ... so with Carrara got a whole planet caught in one! The wormhole effect was done with, if I recall correctly, a tree shader.

btw - didn't happen to notice any shaders for a heavens with stars ... did I miss it or is there one?

objectahead2.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    objectahead.png
    2000 x 2000 - 3M