No files in left pane at startup

alandavidson2alandavidson2 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've just installed Daz Studio 4.5 on Win 8. Win 8 is only a few weeks old, so I'm fighting two battles simultaneously.

First problem is that there are no files in the left pane.

I stumbled across this link:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/installing_software_plugins_and_content/tutorials/basiccontentinstall/start

The link says the file structure must be:

Users > Me > Documents > Daz 3D > Studio > My Library > AniBlocks, Animals, etc.

In fact, my structure is:

Users > Public > Public Documents > My DAZ 3D Library > AniBlocks, Animals, etc.

The wrong structure might be due to my selecting the wrong options during install. I simply accepted all defaults.

Should I try to move the files, or uninstall and re-install?

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I take it you installed the Genesis Starter Essentails with the DIM? But there is nothing wrong with the paths, but it might be an idea to check if Daz Studio is seeing to correct paths by going to the Content Directory Manager http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11176/#160953

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The default DS paths and the DIM install paths are different. You will need to point DS to the DIM content folder in Prefs as Szark is pointing out.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Another useful tip: saying just "the left pane" is not really helpful, since what you see in the D|S interface very much depends on other options settings, and every pane and tab can be moved around anyway. The distinction between the "Content Library" tab and the "Smart Content" tab is particularly important, it can help a lot in working out what might be behind a problem and how to fix it.

Also, the current default D|S4 settings are not well liked by many long-time users, so many of us have switched to settings giving something similar to earlier versions.

• alandavidson2alandavidson2 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

From within DS 4.5, I clicked on Help > Online Resources > FAQ

The third question in the FAQ list (at publish time) is: Why isn't the Smart Content Pane Working?

In the third paragraph: If you see thumbnails for content options, then the Smart Content Pane and the CMS (Content Management Service) are working correctly. If you see no such thumbnails, then the CMS is not working correctly.

My problem is that I see no content at all in the Smart Content Pane. All I see is the word "All", which is highlighted in orange.

In the final paragraph: If you do not see any content at all in the Smart Content Pane under the circumstances given above, then you will need to uninstall DAZ Studio 4 and reinstall, using a special procedure.

I would be most grateful if someone could give me the link to this "special procedure".

edited December 1969

There was a suggestion in another post that "you fail to answer any questions that may help us help you."

I must apologize for that. That would be most unusual for me.

I carefully re-checked the kind responses from Szark, Jaderail, and SpottedKitty.

On the first run, I couldn't find any questions. Then I noticed the statement "I take it you installed the Genesis Starter Essentails with the DIM?"

In the few times in my (very long) life that I've heard "I take it", no reply was expected if the statement was true.

For the possible benefit of other readers, here's an explanation of "I take it":
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100428135630AAI03BY

So that's my fault. I apologize again.

It might help other readers to know that my problem was solved from the following link;

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/22523891-Trouble-shooting-the-Smart-Content-Pane

The key section was “Re-Import the Metadata”. On completion of the procedure, content immediately appeared in the Smart Content pane.

Thanks to all for their help.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

There is a process of elimination to go through when dealing with CMS issues and I would have got the Re-importing Metadata eventually but "I take it" is more of a guess from experience more that anything else plus there was a second part to my post that I needed confirming.

But that is all mute now as you solved your own problem and all is well with the world. :)

• MojaMikeMojaMike Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

It might help other readers to know that my problem was solved from the following link;

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/22523891-Trouble-shooting-the-Smart-Content-Pane

Being the n00b that I am, I had just installed DAZ3DIM before DAZ Studio 4.5 and was looking for a solution to this same issue. “Re-Import the Metadata” did the trick.

Thanks for posting this Alan.

edited December 1969

I'm glad to be of assistance :)