upper case letters in windows Runtime

QuickRQuickR Posts: 21
edited December 1969 in New Users

Somehow after I transferred to a Windows 8 system my runtime now has both a libraries and Libraries folder, I sometimes get can't find files errors when loading a model. Is this causing the problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I would think the best way would be to merge the 2 folders and make sure that it is called library, with a lower case "l"

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

If you merge the folders as Chohole mentioned and go to a single capitalization structure (my pref. being proper case) everything will still work fine and you will have a simpler folder structure. Keeping it the way it is usually doesn't cause a problem as the items get found in either one so it may not matter to you unless you have a reason to keep it organized under the sheets or, if for some reason things got duplicated in the migration to Win8, in which case they would take up extra disk space and cause potential problems down the line.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

For what it's worth, older versions of Poser used lower case, more recent versions have shifted to upp case. Zips and installers tend to reflect the version of Poser that was current when they were created (or at least the version that the creator used).

edited December 1969

Ah right. I didn't actually know that. I checked my older version (P8) and it was lower case.

edited December 1969

In my experience installing, at least from a zip, will change the case to match that in the zip - so depending on the vintage of the zip and how it was set up the capitalisation can bounce around.

edited April 2013

The case changes when you install? Hmm, that hasn't been my experience. I have always ended up with 2 folders, one lower and one proper.

Well the upshot is, the installed content can be merged into a single case format without any problems for those that wish to do so.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • QuickRQuickR Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Thanks to everyone for their comments. So if it will keep happening if I pick up a fast grab or older PC item, I guess should leave it for a while.
    Because if I merge them another item will just recreate the other directory. I don't think Win8 changed the folders, I just noticed after the transfer. Doesn't Win 8 allow case sensitive searches? I think earlier versions of Windows ignored case.

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    The case changes when you install? Hmm, that hasn't been my experience. I have always ended up with 2 folders, one lower and one proper.

Well the upshot is, the installed content can be merged into a single case format without any problems for those that wish to do so.

Every version of Windows I have experience of ignores case - there's no way to get two folders with the same name but different cases in the same location. If Win 8 is different that's new. Linux does distinguish upper and lower case, as does the Mac at least optionally I believe.

edited December 1969

Yes sorry for the confusion. I do work on multiple OS's but the confusion specifically due to these folders is due to me installing single items into a tmp folder and renaming everything there. I haven't actually been loading much into the main folders atm.

edited December 1969

You are right about windows names before Win 8, but now here it is.

screenRuntime.jpg
    636 x 288 - 135K
    edited December 1969

Your libraries folder in lower case is also spelled wrong

edited December 1969

Hey. You are right. You noticed that a lot faster than I did. Thanks. This must be the real problem. Is there a smiley face for way embarrassed?

edited December 1969

yes that is one we do have it's this one :red: lol :coolsmile: j/k