Is there a known problem with 3Delight processing hair?

I normally use IRAY except when I can't get the lighting properly worked out. I then switch to 3Delight. However, I noticed that it seems to take FOREVER to process hair. It doesn't seem to matter which hair I use (male or female or which style) and which generation, it just takes forever. I am currently running a rendering job that is taking 24+ hours and it is STUCK on the hair. Once it gets passed the hair portion, the rest of the scene renders in under a minute.

First 10% takes 24+ hours (because of the hair) and the remaining 90% renders in under 60 seconds. The same scene in IRAY takes about an hour.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a known problem? Is there a way to speed things up? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Hair figures/props tend to use transparency maps a lot, so tend to hammer render speed - yiu can offset this, to a lrage degree, but converting the hair to use UberHair (or UberSurafce) shaders and turn off raytracing and occlusion.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Or you can use the AoA ambient light and set the hair to use alternative samples if you want it to have occlusion.

I strongly recommend AoA lights if you use 3DL a lot!

• SimonJM said:

Hair figures/props tend to use transparency maps a lot, so tend to hammer render speed - yiu can offset this, to a lrage degree, but converting the hair to use UberHair (or UberSurafce) shaders and turn off raytracing and occlusion.

I do this how?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Select the hair both in the scene tab and in the surfade pane, go to your content library/shader presets/Omnifreaker/UberSurface and double click the shader preset, then go to the surface pane and scroll down to Occlusion and click the green button to turn it off. If you disable raytracing too your hair will not appear in reflective surfaces such as metals mirrors etc.

• Thank you