Texture Converter 2 and Clothes Converter

Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I want to convert M3 and V3 clothes to M4 and V4. I bought texture converter 2 but after reading the directions I am confused. Should I have bought Clothes Converter? I have tried to research by reading the instructions on both, but am still confused. I would appreciate someone clarifying the uses for me. Thanks.

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited April 2013

Texture Converter converts textures, i.e. character skins, not clothes. To convert clothes you need clothes converter such as CrossDresser (http://www.evilinnocence.com/crossdresser) which I would recommend over Cloth Converter.

If you don't need to convert character skins (Texture Converter 2 being the only way to use Generation 3 skins on Generation 4 and subsequently Genesis characters) you can ask for full refund withing 30 days of purchase.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited April 2013

Texture converter 2 converts PEOPLE textures from a particular Gen 3 character to a Gen 4 character, depending on what character support pack you got... it does NOT convert clothes.

For converting clothes to gen 4, I suggest Xdresser, available at RuntimeDna and at Evilinnocence
    http://www.runtimedna.com/Crossdresser/
    You need to get the base program, and the addon support pack for the character that you want to convert to, such as M4 and V4.

If you use Genesis and DazStudio 4.5, I highly recommend simply converting everything to use on Genesis. :) I love using all my Gen3 and Gen4 clothes, as well as Gen 4 textures (and since you already have Texture converter, might as well convert all those Gen 3 textures to use on Genesis too! WIN!)

:) Hope that helps~

Doh, i took too long and Kattey beat me :P

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
    edited December 1969

Sorry, my type-fu is stronger today ^_^"

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Sorry, my type-fu is stronger today ^_^"

+1

^^

• Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
    edited December 1969

I bought Texture Converter a long time ago. There aren't any V3 or M3 textures for skins I want. We all make mistakes. It is just a shame when they cost money.

Which is better and what is the difference between Clothes Converter or Cross Dresser?

edited April 2013

batesyboy said:
    I bought Texture Converter a long time ago. There aren't any V3 or M3 textures for skins I want. We all make mistakes. It is just a shame when they cost money.

Which is better and what is the difference between Clothes Converter or Cross Dresser?

what about A3? H3? I converted all of those. :)

I've never used Clothes converter... I like Crossdresser because base program is free and I can buy just support for the figures I want. I also like to wait for Evilinnonce big sales and get things 50% off :) I usually buy several then. ;) It also works very fast.

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

batesyboy said:

They both do the same job really, but there's one fundamental difference between them both. Clothes Converter (CC) has a set list of clothes which it can change from one to another, and they're all Daz figures. CrossDresser (XD) uses a 'license' and plugin system. The idea of the latter is that you get the software and buy the license for the character you want to create clothes for. At this point you can now convert from ANY type of supported clothes to that character (and it's an exhaustive list). It includes third party figures such as Sadie and Sam from 3D Universe, Near Me, Bel Bel and so on.

XD also supports Poser figures. though I personally think most Poser figures are darned ugly compared to the Daz ones. It's no wonder even Poser users often use the Generation 4 characters. As far as I'm aware there are no plugins to increase the capacity of CC to support more figures, but I'm willing to be corrected on that.

So, in short if you're only using Daz figures, then CC might be a cheaper investment since it supports a fair number of characters for a reasonable price. If you have less than four characters you need clothes for, or if you have a lot of 3rd party characters who's wardrobes need expansion, then get CrossDresser as it's expandable and would ultimately be cheaper.

edited April 2013

Personally I tried both and I never found Cloth Converter to be useful. I prefer Crossdresser.

There aren’t any V3 or M3 textures for skins I want. We all make mistakes. It is just a shame when they cost money.

It is really sad. I converted all _samildanach_'s and Gen3 Arki's textures for Genesis which alone made it worth for me.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Clothes Convertor does not require any further licenses or add on packs as do both XDresser or Wardrobe Wizard.

However, it does require both a cr2 file and an obj file (preferably set up in standard Poser runtime format) to function properly.

There are video tutorials included and it is best to watch them first.

CC has a bit of learning curve as much of the conversion is manual as opposed to the more one button conversions of XDresser and WW.

It can do an auto convert as well as gives you soft selction of polys to aid in your conversions.

The success of your conversions will vary depending upon how much variance there is from the original model the clothing was designed for and the model you are converting to. Somethings convert well and others do not. When I converted the DAZ Desert Solder outfit for M3 to V3, SP3, and V4 I got the best results from CC. The conversions used to be in the old freepository. I haven't checked if they're still listed since the change over.

CC 4 came out well before the release of Genesis but I would hazard a guess that you would need to generate an obj file and a cr2 file. CC can add morphs but given the changes between the previous generation figures and Genesis, I don't know how well that would work.

edited December 1969

"I converted all _samildanach_’s and Gen3 Arki’s textures for Genesis which alone made it worth for me." When I picxked up gen3's for normally $1.99 I never paid atttention to who created them. Can you be more specific on the textures you used to convert to Genesis? Thanks

edited December 1969

Another question. If I purchase crossdresser when there is a sale, do I need XD morpher? The more I read, the more confused I get.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

batesyboy said:
    Another question. If I purchase crossdresser when there is a sale, do I need XD morpher? The more I read, the more confused I get.

The XD Morpher is an add on utility for XD4. You do not need it to convert clothing from one figure to another. If you wish to convert clothing from one figure to V4, you will need to download XD and purchase the V4 license.

If you wish to add figure moprhs found in the Morphs++ pack that the clothing does not contain, you would need to have XD, the V4 license, the XD Morpher Utility and the V4 Morph license.

edited December 1969

Nah, I suggest if you want to keep morphs, just get Morphing Clothes from Renderosity, then you can morphs from anything to anything. Even a prop. :)

edited December 1969

batesyboy said:
    "I converted all _samildanach_’s and Gen3 Arki’s textures for Genesis which alone made it worth for me." When I picxked up gen3's for normally $1.99 I never paid atttention to who created them. Can you be more specific on the textures you used to convert to Genesis? Thanks

_Samildanach_ and Arki are two character texture creators (from a few) I adore. _Samildanach_'s shop is currently closed but here are some links to show what was it like.
    Links aren't always safe for work.
    Some very unique and creepy characters.

Arki had most carefully painted bodyart textures.
    Some of them are unavailable, but here is an example of some third generation texture. Some of them are still available at DAZ3D
    http://www.daz3d.com/dragon-ink-loryn-for-steph-petite-aiko
    http://www.daz3d.com/dragon-ink-ardeth-for-david-hiro

I recently used this _samildanach_'s character with Genesis in this picture

And I could convert those textures to Gen4-Genesis only because I had Texture Converted 2. This is why this purchase was worth for me.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    edited December 1969

I know it's not exactly on topic, but it looks like _Samildanach_ has decided to come back to Poser work :-)
    They've just released a new V4 character at Rendo: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/26-black-white/98757/#

edited December 1969

Leana said:
    I know it's not exactly on topic, but it looks like _Samildanach_ has decided to come back to Poser work :-)
    They've just released a new V4 character at Rendo: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/26-black-white/98757/#

Yeah, and I've bought it immediately even if it isn't my style ^_^"