IRAY compatible machine?

I confess, I'm not a tech person (hardware or software), so I'm hoping for some pointers on a new machine.  I have deduced my AMD Radeon HD 7570 1GB GDDR5 video card is NOT the right card for doing IRAY renderings. (Country Kitchen set with The Girl 7 and one spotlight = 1.25+ hours render time.)

I'm wondering if the following would be a serviceable replacement:

1. Dell XPS 8920 Desktop Tower
  2. 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.2 GHz)
  3. Windows 10 Home 64bit English (would perfer Windows 8, but Dell only offers Windows 10)
  4. 16GB, 2400MHz, DDR4
  5. NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5

Comments

• 4GB RAM on the card isn't a lot, 16GB of RAM in the system may not be enough either. How big are your typical scenes?

• YinghiYinghi Posts: 6

I usually use no more then 3-4 models (Genesis 2 or Genesis 3) with up to 12 or so props.  I found anything more then that slows my machine down too much; 5 minutes or more to even load a scene.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Right now when you are rendering in Iray, you are rendering CPU only.  AMD Radeon cards are not compatible with Iray.

Depending on what the rest of your current system is, you might be better off just spending the money on an expensive Geforce card and using the rest of your budget on a modest upgrade for the rest of the computer.  (if you look at the Dell T7500 in my signature, it is a 5 year old system paired with a top of the line graphics card.)

When rendering in IRAY on your Geforce or Quadro GPU, the entire rendering job is on the graphics card.  If Daz Studio runs fine for you while setting up your scenes, then you may just need a graphics card (and maybe a new power supply depending on what you have now)