Getting rigged custom models into Daz

Hello,

I'm trying to get some custom (rigged) models into daz but can't quite get it working properly.

The models themselves are initially created and rigger in blender, they work just fine and bend properly in blender. Just to be sure I've also tested importing them into other software, such as Unreal & Unity, where they also work like expected.

Importing them into Daz seems to be a bit more problematic however. Importing them as .fbx files just gives me a horribly broken mess, I've seen recommendations online that .dea files work better, and yes do they seem to work slightly better in that the models don't get quite as distorted (see below), but they do still not import properly. .obj files works fine, but obviously means you lose the rig.

Importing them into Poser works perfecly without any issues, so I'm a bit confused why Daz is having such problems.

Due to licensing issues I can't post pictures of the actual models, but I get the same issue no matter what models I try to import, so I made a simple cylinder model as an example.

In Blender it looks just fine and bends properly:

In Poser it also works perfectly:

The 3 cloest to working workflows I've currely managed to find are the following:

1. Import into Poser, export scene from there and then import that into Daz.

With this method it doesn't get distorted on import, but it also doesn't bend properly:

2. Import as .obj and then rig/weightmap in Daz.

I've tried this multiple times, but I always seem to end up with one of two results; either it bends like the image above. Or it bends like this:

3. Import as .dae.

With the cylinder model this seems to work somewhat better than the more complex models, but it still ends up distorted.

It does seem to bend properly with this method, but the bones get somewhat oddly placed and most importantly the model is distorted (it's supposed to be a cylinder, so the bottom should be flat).

I'm obviously missing something / doing something wrong, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

Anyone have any tips?
Thank you!

Comments

• Taking rigged mdoels from one application to anther is always chnacy - I'm surprised Poser does such a good job.  Unfortunately Daz Studio won't read weight-mapped rigging from Poser. DS will write weight-mapped rigging for Poser so one option might be to rig in DS and then export a CR2, if that fits your requirements.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

I never got the fbx or dae importers to work fine with DS. But I had some success with the plugin below. Keep in mind that it has limits though so do read the notes carefully.

https://sites.google.com/site/millighostmix/home/export_dsf_prop

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/67464/getting-objects-from-blender-to-ds

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

on a similar topic,

I have never been able to figure out why a Carrara rigged figure (by me or others) can be imported into DAZ studio with rigging and animation via DAZcollada yet a non Carrara figure that imports fine into Carrara say an iClone or other figure  does not work exported exactly  the same way from Carrara.

Not only do you get a mess but not even the bone heirarchy is preserved 

There seems to be a difference D|S detects or rather doesn’t.

While it is a given such a figure would fail directly imported into D|S I would have thought going the round trip via Carrara it should work since Carrara rigging actually does, the bones are not aligned but actually still bend correctly and using the rigging tool one can right click and chose the align dialogue for the Carrara bones at least, that too fails on any imported exported rigged mesh though.