My CPU is not the 10%!

M'kay so I've been playing with the new DAZ beta. And things were going very very fast!

And then after a few hours it started to slow down.

And slower.

And today when I tell DAZ to drape or anything, it only uses 10% of my CPU. It maxes there, will no be moved.

I've tried looking at multithreading - that's on and supported. I have 6 cores.

I've looked in the preferences settings for DAZ. No answers there.

The internet has only yielded on August discussion here where someone else was having the same issue. No answers posted.

I can't work liks this, guys! *falls to ground shaking fists at the heavens* WHY is it not using all of its resources?!?!?

Comments

• Odd; I'll have to see if this is happening on my laptop too

• So you were using the CPU as your OpenCL provider? Had you had a lot of crashes? Sometimes recent (10, possibly 8) versions of Windows will restrict applications that have multiple crashes in quick succession (I had to fight this after deliberately triggering a crash multiple times to write a bug report a few months back).

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited October 2017

So you were using the CPU as your OpenCL provider? Had you had a lot of crashes? Sometimes recent (10, possibly 8) versions of Windows will restrict applications that have multiple crashes in quick succession (I had to fight this after deliberately triggering a crash multiple times to write a bug report a few months back).

That's very disturbing to learn!! Yes, there have been ssooooo many crashes. It's beta after all.

I knew I hated Windows 10. I only upgraded to 10 because I need 10 for mocap. Not that I can do it as when 10 installed it wiped my external drive, taking the expensive program for that with it.

I just kind of installed beta and told it to go. I updated my drivers, everything is the latest, and am not sure how I would tell DAZ to use my video cards and not my CPU if that's even possible for this....

So how can it be fixed? This is obnoxious. Yet another reason for me to wish I had time to learn another system.

Post edited by spearcarrier on
  • Changing what you use to do the simulation is easier than you think. With the simulation window open (I dock it on the left side of the main viewport) select the Advanced property tab to reveal the option to select what will be used to do the simulation. Since you've only used the CPU option, switching to GPU will require compiling a different OpenCL kernel, which won't take long.

•  

Changing what you use to do the simulation is easier than you think. With the simulation window open (I dock it on the left side of the main viewport) select the Advanced property tab to reveal the option to select what will be used to do the simulation. Since you've only used the CPU option, switching to GPU will require compiling a different OpenCL kernel, which won't take long.

Well I looked and it says what it's always says: it's using one of my video cards. I'll switch to the other I suppose. Not sure if that will make a difference.

• And still slower than molasses while only using CPU 2.

• Gosh I hope SOMEONE has an answer on how to fix this. AllI can find are articles on how ot willingly limit your CPU and NOTHING on how to get DAZ released from this utter BS!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,860
    edited October 2017

If it's using the GPU for OpenCL then it isn't meant to be making heavy demands on the CPU, so using one core is right.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Okay but everything is throttled, which isn't right!

I'm super lucky I live with someone who can look into things more in depth than I am. I had a feeling the computer was running hot. The other half says that the motherboard is the a$$ limiting things, to keep the cores from "exploding". (rolls eyes) So we're off to see if we can find a better fan I guess?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited October 2017

Get an enclosed water cooling. You can get it for about $50. That will fix your problems. It is much better than any fan out there. My computer doesn't go any higher than 36C even on heavy loads. Get something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Corsair-Hydro-Performance-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B00A0HZMGA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508110703&sr=8-2&keywords=computer+water+cooling. It's the same one that I have and I couldn't be happier.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • frank0314 said:

Get an enclosed water cooling. You can get it for about $50. That will fix your problems. It is much better than any fan out there. My computer doesn't go any higher than 36C even on heavy loads. Get something like this https://smile.amazon.com/Corsair-Hydro-Performance-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B00A0HZMGA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508110703&sr=8-2&keywords=computer+water+cooling. It's the same one that I have and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the tip! We did indeed end up getting one of those.... at Best Buy, though, so we paid more than $50. It's being installed now. So here's hoping.

Windows 10 was ALSO throttling, btw.. the other half swears he disabled that. I'm so mad at the Win10 developers over that I could throw heavy objects at them.

So now I sit up and wait to see what happens.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383

You should be very happy with it. You won't have to worry about your CPU overheating anymore unless your GPU overheats then you will need to get an extra fan. You need to have a combo of liquid cooling and intake and exhaust fans.

• Pointless update. We just spent over 2 hours trying to get the Microsoft people to admit that Windows was throttling the program. They blamed DAZ, they gave us the DAZ website address, they said the program was in beta so it's entirely the program doing it, and I'm sitting here thinking that there's no wonder Microsoft is dealing with a ton of class action lawsuits right now.

I j ust want this stupid program to use more than 10% of the CPU. I don't think it's too much to ask. It WAS doing it 2 days ago.It was doing it yesterday morning. This is uber ridiculous. It's running so slow, it freezes and crashes because it times out. This is really. Really. Really. Stupid.

• unLight865unLight865 Posts: 95
    edited October 2017

Hmm... since DS should mostly use the GPU if one (or more) is available, did you try installing something like "GPU-Z" to see if the GPU is being used completely? Admittedly I never used that yet, but it's the program that I'd try to use in your situation...

Believe me, you don't want DS to render on CPU if you can avoid it ( which I currently can't frown ) .

As was already posted:

If it's using the GPU for OpenCL then it isn't meant to be making heavy demands on the CPU, so using one core is right.

The GPU is what should be doing the heavy work - sadly Windows itself doesn't display how much of that is used, which is why I recommended the abovementioned program...

P.S.:  Are your slowdowns only during rendering, or also when only using the interface  ( having nothing loaded, since that would cause a sort of mini-rendering to display the content )  ?

Post edited by unLight865 on
  • Yes, 10% sounds like a single thread running full pelt, plus a bit of other activity from other applications (I think you said you had a 6 core system, so with hyperthreading that's twelve threads - each will show as 8.33...% usage at most) so we do need to know what you are doing and what resources are being used to do it. 3delight rendering should hit close to 100%, as should Iray rendering handled by the CPU or (I think) dForce. TDLMake optimisation for 3delight should also use a high proportion as it spawns multiple separate threads. I'm not sure what other actions are multi-threaded.

edited October 2017

I'll look into GPU-Z. Thank you for suggesting it. I actually have limited the other half from installing programs to remedy this because those programs ALWAYS seem to bring bloatware with them, and after that the computer is never the same. This particular computer's internet is even a dongle on purpose. I can't have it junked up and slowed down, and I don't want it full of things.

I'm not trying to render anything. I can't get that far. I'm just trying to work the program period. Dforce is when the throttle really becomes apparent. I'm draping.... a simple mesh bathing suit onto Kioki. Yep. That's it. That's all I've been trying to ***g drape for days now: two objects created in DAZ, a simple hair by Littlefox, and a d**mn bathing suit. One at a time, even. There are no background objects, no scenery of any kind. Just Kioki and her clothes.

I am specifically using these things because 1. They are the few things that worked with Dforce without crashing things. 2. I am working on simulating something. Which I pretty much have down now! If only I could finally simulate the last drape in order to render.  3. Beta's throttling increased over a period of days through various crashes. Not just all of a sudden. It was already fully upon me before I installed the latest update.

When I first installed beta these things were draping very very quickly. I am talking under five minutes for 400 frames. Now it takes 2 hours.

Hyperthreading is enabled... and when DAZ is draping and something else has to work, say Firefox, the other CPU usage panels jump with activity. DAZ is not doing that. It is using specifically CPU 2 only. Edit: So that's 90% system idle going on while beta does it's thing slowly.

We have went into Windows and disabled any and all settings for throttling.

He went into the BIOS and disabled what he could for throttling on the motherboard. Then we installed the new cooling fan. Everything runs faster now. Beta even works faster... until I try to get it to drape.

Did a cold boot at Window's ridiculous insistance.

Optimized for performance.

Checked video cards. They're both onboard in SLI. He's pulling a double after having next to no sleep (thanks to Microsoft's run around) so if we have to take that off it will have to wait a LONG time. To be honest, though, I've never seen SLI make a difference with anything. It only uses the first card for everything anyway.

I know we did other things. I can't remember what they are.

I just loaded DAZ 4.9 pro and told it to iray render something. It's using ALL CPUs as it's supposed to.

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit

58 RAM

2 Geforce GTX 950 cards - which the drivers were updated the day I installed beta

Thank you guys for not pushing me around like other places do. It is greatly appreciated.

• As we've said, if the OpenCL engine in the Advanced tab of Simulations is set to your GPU then there's no reason to expect the CPU to be doing much - unlike Iray for rendering you can't use the GPU and the CPU. If it is an issue with Windows being careful after the crashes (and that does sound plausible) then the fix I am awarre of involves checking in the registry and then running a command line instruction with elevated privileges, so not something to do unless you are comfortable and able there.

• Well I've been under the impresson that it's Windows because, as you said, it will sometimes limit a program's function after so many crashes. AND the program *was* working faster. I haven't changed from CPU to GPU. The truth is I wouldn't know how. I go into the Advanced settings, I look, and all I see for OpenCl options are card 1 and card 2. I don't see a CPU option. If it's supposed to be somewhere else I don't know where to find it.

Also to be honest as much as I've read and reread your other posts on it, that hasn't been very clear on what to do to me. Not your fault.

edited October 2017

And as per usual Google is not giving me an answer on how to either. or if it's even possible and having these cards mean no way ever or anything. (sighs)

Look. Throughout this CL and GPU have been thrown around as phrases I apparently was born knowing, and they're not. I learn things through the backdoor here - kind of like how I know so much about older cars because I have had many cars that broke down a lot. When I do sit and research something, I'm not going to go "oh I think I'll go learn about THIS today." I learn according to what's going on in my life and what I need in the moment.

That being said, throughout all the years I've been using DAZ I have let DAZ choose CPU/GL settings. I have tried a couple of times to understand things on the side, and all of the articles I have found all talked as if I should already be born knowing.

So you're talking about these things that I know exist but don't know how to manipulate or even if they can be. It's not that I'm stujpid, mind you. On the contrary - top of my class in most things. I'm just busy. So very busy. I've been here in the forum so much because DAZ refusing to cooperate kills the busy. (And the commissions. And the light bills.)

• What is the selection in the Advanced tab of the Simulation Settings pane in DS? (OpenCL is just another of those things, in this case a system that can be used for certain calculations and that allows the use of either the GPU (video card/chip) or CPU (the microprocessor)

edited October 2017

Thank you for that explanation!!!! I have tried to find out the real difference I don't know how many times. I'm genuinely going to make a sticky note and put on my monitor. I'll figure out some sort of mnemonic device to tell the two apart. I already know the letters stand for things. G is for Graphic. C is for Cookie. But this situation has me literally wondering if I'm not dyslexic. LOL

I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see in the simulation settings tab, under advanced. Those two card are my only two options. I've looked around, I've poked, I can't find a way to tell it to use CPU.  Am I looking for CPU in all the wrong places?

Image1.jpg
    609 x 611 - 111K
  • You do need to install a driver for the CPU, ther's a link in the Start here thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#latest

edited October 2017

I thought that might be the case. I've spent the past hour or so trying to find something on that matter, to make sure I wasn't going to destroy the entire universe with it. LOL

But all I can find is how when I updated my graphic drivers, that apparently was supposed to update the CPU as well.

Also I have mentioned in variou s places that the documentation is over my head. I'm not the only person to say that, at least. I am the only one stupid enough to try to hang in there and learn Dforce and handle it by learning in a way I can comprehend. 

Oh well. I guess this will have to wait. I can't follow that documentation. I have tried well over 10 times.

• Thank you, btw. At least now I know what needs to be done. It's a start.

• This is the link you want, assuming your CPU qualifies (I think most should) https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers#latest_CPU_runtime