Congratulations! You're a better animator than you think.

Feeling insecure about you skills as an animator? Don't think you can make decent animations with Daz Studio?

Worry no more. You're already better than the animators at The Asylum.

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited October 2017

o_O

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

I'm just wondering how they conned Dick Van Dyke into doing it. They must have told him it was going to be a Pixar production or something. You could literally have nothing but a 20 minute video of Dick Van Dyke eating a bowl of prunes while telling you what the story was going to be and it would end up being better than Trolland.

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556

well that certainly was uhh, umm ,well it was... oh look suppers done gotta go!

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

What... what did I just watch half of?

edited October 2017

Reboot didn't look that primitive....

The last time I saw something like that, I was watching a Dire Straits video...and someone is getting money for nothin' LOL

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on

The Asylum is famous for what is known as mockbusters, cheaply produced knock-offs of Hollywood blockbusters. Their business plan is to basically trick well meaning but pop-culturally unaware grandparents into buying their crappy knock-offs as presents for their grandkids. Like their Transformers knock-off called Transmorphers. Pretty much every Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks hit has receieved a cheap knock-off by The Asylum. Trolland was a knockoff of Trolls and was originally marketed as Trollz until they got sued because Trollz was already a trademark of an animated series from the 90s. While their CGI has always been pretty bad Trolland marked a new low for the company. It was like they basically were giving a middle finger to the kids saying "We got your grandma's $10 and we're not going to even try to make a decent movie for you".

They've received a lot of critical condemnation for their mockbusters and have been trying to "go legit" with their original shark themed (ala Mega Shark Vs...) movies but mockbusters still remains a big part of their business plan.

Looking at that trailer for Trolland I can see a number of things they could have done to improve the quality that would not have added to the cost or the production time. Decimating their mocap and not insisting that every scene be composited over waving grass would have helped a lot.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,823

the lipsync alone sucks cheeky

it actually looks like something I would upload to my channel blush

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

I wish more studios would sue their pants off! Unfortunately they seem to work the angles in their releases just enough to skate thru lawsuits and the times they have lost, just changed the name on the films. too bad the lawsuits also gave them publicity.

It's like finding a new website called Das3d.com with a new, mediocre figure line called gennisis 8

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154

* rolls eyes*

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

My eyes...crying

Don't get me wrong...for an amateur working with limited software and experience...good. I can't even animate a cube ;). But for a production house? Urgh. :P

Laurie

I wish more studios would sue their pants off! Unfortunately they seem to work the angles in their releases just enough to skate thru lawsuits and the times they have lost, just changed the name on the films. too bad the lawsuits also gave them publicity.

It's like finding a new website called Das3d.com with a new, mediocre figure line called gennisis 8

Then when they get sued they just call it PhilCollins 8.

• MardookMardook Posts: 291

I feel bad for anyone who has to be involved with this... thing.

• This is the best thing I've ever seen ^_^

Seriousy though, is this a joke trailer?

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

i want one of you bashers doing a clip like that

no you cant do even that

but prove the opposite

Ruphuss said:

no you cant do even that

but prove the opposite

well I honestly don't think this one by me  is much worse

i always knew you are the only true artist in Daz universe Wendy

Ruphuss said:

no you cant do even that

but prove the opposite

Smiles@ Wendy. 

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    Ruphuss said:

no you cant do even that

but prove the opposite

You don't have to be able to personally do something to be able to tell when something is badly done. I can't build a house, but I can tell you that one with the walls falling in, windows that don't shut, doors that don't hang straight, etc is badly done. I can't program software but I can tell you that one that crashes everything you hit space is badly coded. I can't perform surgery but I can tell you that an arm reattached backwards, or scissors left in the body cavity, or a lung removed during a tonsillectomy is badly done. This video is badly done. The animation is horribly stiff, the lip sync and audio aren't even in the same state, they float all over the place. And the list goes on.

TY but just note, I had fun doing JaguarElla’s story but openly admit it is bloody awful animation 

the whole point of sharing 

she does however beat their lipsync hands down cheeky

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    Ruphuss said:

no you cant do even that

but prove the opposite

If it was just a random person doing this for a hobby i could see your point, but its being sold as a film to people capitalizing off another movie, so yes it can and should be criticized and not just on whether one can animate or not.

A haunted castle animation I did a couple of years ago. that I just recently rendered with new technology and uploaded to vimeo for a much better video quality than I got when I uploaded it to YouTube.
    Check it out , it make you smile  ~ Happy Halloween~

Black Stone Haunted Castle II on Vimeo.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited October 2017

My thoughts... Knowing how hard it is to animate. I dont think any of us really have room to make fun of the artists who made this. 3D is very hard, I think we all know, and can appreciate that. Just because they dont have a 300 million dollar budget dont mean their not trying their best, with what they got. It's expected to see mean comments on youtube from snarky 15 year old kids. But I would expect better from this crowd.

Post edited by Angel on
  • Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229

Feeling insecure about you skills as an animator? Don't think you can make decent animations with Daz Studio?

Worry no more. You're already better than the animators at The Asylum.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy my eyessssssssssssss

so you think Southpark is bad animated ?

or it just suites the style ?

if you tell a story right theres no need for "good" animation sometimes

if i say it was fun for me watching this - goal reached no matter how

i know this bashings from musicians forums as well

if i am kind of small i like to make other works small so i am feeling bigger a bit

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

If nobody ever critiqued the work of others we would live in a world utterly devoid of quality.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014

Ruphuss said:

if you tell a story right theres no need for "good" animation sometimes

If you tell a story "good", you wouldn't weaken it with bad animation.

Ruphuss said:

if i say it was fun for me watching this - goal reached no matter how

True for you, however if you are in the minority in that opinion, the goal has most definitely not been met. Do you honestly think that movies which bomb at the box office have no one who enjoys them? Of course they do. There are bad films I like, but they are still very obviously bad.

Ruphuss said:

if i am kind of small i like to make other works small so i am feeling bigger a bit

That makes sense, but in that case you do the best you can with what you have. That movie's not even a good amateur animation. That movie is not an example of someone "doing the best that they can", it's an example of someone doing the bare minimum that they can just to enable them to rip off someone else's brand for a quick money grab. They obviously pay good money to the voice talent for what's probably a very quick and easy day of work. It's the only reason, I think, that the agents of those stars would let them do a low-rent knockoff like that.

My thoughts... Knowing how hard it is to animate. I dont think any of us really have room to make fun of the artists who made this. 3D is very hard, I think we all know, and can appreciate that. Just because they dont have a 300 million dollar budget dont mean their not trying their best, with what they got. It's expected to see mean comments on youtube from snarky 15 year old kids. But I would expect better from this crowd.

if this were a hobbiest production I'd agree, the whole point is it is not

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6283598/

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

Is Asylum Hiring??.. or farming out work??

I am  thinking I might have a shot.

• Orpheus13Orpheus13 Posts: 274

IT'S A TROLL !! laugh