Luxus for Carrara alpha release available - Luxrender in Carrara

123457»

Comments

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

I'm having trouble getting a shiny reflective metal look using Luxus. I used Metal2, but it looked flat. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    I'm having trouble getting a shiny reflective metal look using Luxus. I used Metal2, but it looked flat. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

How about using a Lux glossy coating with your metal2 as the base material?

edited December 1969

Thanks--I'll give that a try. So many options!

• rk66rk66 Posts: 433
    edited May 2013

Hi,
    new Win64 Build online.

Spheric:

"New Win64 build
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Win64/Luxus.zip

Some Sample Shaders (link updated):
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/LuxSampleShaders.zip

Changes:
    -> Fixed a non exporting bug when exporting the indoor preset scene.
    -> Auto convert is changed and support shininess and reflection maps. Please provide feedback on if it's too much orite not enough.
    -> Preview of Glass2 is now a semitransparent white. Preview of metal2 with color is the shade of the color.
    -> Render Settings now includes the most common settings. Less common settings can be set through the extra settings field.
    -> UI tweaks per user feedback."

rk.

Post edited by rk66 on
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Spheric:
    "And another Win64 build

This enables those the want to render animations. Rendering a movie will cause a series of files to be written using the format of name_001.xls, name_002.xls, etc. Luxus wil not autolaunch LuxRender in this case. You can then manually launch LuxRender and open the file sequence yourself and start your rendering epic."

rk.

edited December 1969

Interesting...I can't wait to try this out.....

edited December 1969

Hi,

the first build for Win 32bit is online.

Spheric:
    "Win32 build
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Win32/Luxus.zip"

rk.

edited December 1969

@3DAGE

How did you get the flame shape of the candle to stay "flame-shaped"? I keep getting a black x-shapped image where the flame should be. Maybe it's the candle I'm using? I'm pretty sure the texture maps that create the flame image are placed on the x-shape (so it can be seen from all sides), but I can't make the shape vanish after making the flame a Lux Surface.

3DAGE said:
    Nice example candle GK :) ..and very helpful tips for setting that type of scene up in Luxus.

No lights in this scene,.. the Candle flame model is an "Area light" material.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Salem2007 :)

I made the flame as a vertex model,. (using an extruded circle),. it's a separate poly-mesh, but still part of the main candle model.

Doing it that way, allows you to create a shading domain, and shader, for that part,. ...make the "flame" shader a "Lux Area Light"

I'm not sure that using a "Billboard" of crossed planes, with an alpha image applied to them, will work the same way, since an Area light should use the mesh it's applied to,. Like "Anything glows" lights in Carrara.

pic

flame.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 240K
    edited December 1969

Ahh--thanks for that 3DAGE. I tend to avoid the modeler room, but now I see why I get the black box shape. I took the "billboard" polys and changed them to 1% size so I get just a small glint of light and the effect of light from the candle. It'll work for what I'm trying to do.

As a side note, I initially tried to set the "billboard" ploys to 0% to see how they looked---either LuxRender or teh Luxus plugin was not happy. I was never able to get the scene to render ecasue LuxRender kept crashing. Just changing the polys to 1% fixed it. I don't think it's a bug, but it's interesting in a way.

Here's the candle after just a few cycles...

candle.jpg
    1024 x 486 - 53K
  • edited May 2013

Wow, I'm so glad I decided to crawl out from under my rock today, I've always wanted a Carrara/Luxrender plug-in :bug:

Looking forward to testing it thoroughly.

Yep, it works, speedy test render, lol:

luxout2.png
    800 x 600 - 577K
    Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Spheric writes:

"New Win64 build

Win32 build
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Win32/Luxus.zip

Changes:
    -> Handle Internally saved textures."

rk.

• edited May 2013

Nice, it's good to see the updates coming so frequently ;-)

I have a question now...

How do I set up individual "lightgroups?"

I'm using multiple Luxrender area light materials and I'd like to be able to control their tonemapping independently, but all area lights seem to automatically come together as a single group as of now...

Is this ability even implemented at this point?

edited December 1969
  • edited December 1969

rk66 said:

It doesn't help, as far as I can tell there just isn't a way to create light-groups in Carrara at the moment.

I'll keep experimenting though, lol ;-)

edited May 2013

Koukotsu said:

It doesn't help, as far as I can tell there just isn't a way to create light-groups in Carrara at the moment.

I'll keep experimenting though, lol ;-)

Right now the light group is the name of the node. Are you wanting to do different area ligths on the same node but different shading domains?

fs1.png
    1501 x 863 - 172K
    Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • edited May 2013

Right now the light group is the name of the node. Are you wanting to do different area ligths on the same node but different shading domains?

Hmm, I'm not sure why but my light emitting shaders/area-lights are all merging into one single group labelled "default..."

I have a sphere using a lux-area light material and a plane using it's own lux-area light material and Luxrender wants to treat them as if they were a single light for some reason.

If possible I would love to be able to assign different light groups on a per-shader basis.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and the latest Carrara Beta (I think? :red:)

Yeah, Carrara 8.5 Pro build 204 with the latest version of Luxrender standalone as well.

Example-1.jpg
    1236 x 778 - 624K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,247
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Wow, I'm so glad I decided to crawl out from under my rock today, I've always wanted a Carrara/Luxrender plug-in :bug:

Why, Hello Gorgeous! Say... you remind me of a girl I know from another thread. Mulberry's her name, and ambient occlussion's her game. Please... feel free to become rendered as often as possible. Oh... and get Koukotsu to post those renders, too... okay? :)

Sheeesh... she's one cute little model, isn't she?

• edited May 2013

Koukotsu said:

Why, Hello Gorgeous! Say... you remind me of a girl I know from another thread. Mulberry's her name, and ambient occlussion's her game. Please... feel free to become rendered as often as possible. Oh... and get Koukotsu to post those renders, too... okay? :)

Sheeesh... she's one cute little model, isn't she?

Believe me, there will be no shortage of Mulberry/A3 renders as long as I'm around ;-)

Hopefully I can get this Luxus business figured out soon and start bringing them into unbaised territory without having to wrestle with Blender :grrr:

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,247
    edited December 1969

I see that! Cool, Cool, Cool! Love to see it!

edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:

Hmm, I'm not sure why but my light emitting shaders/area-lights are all merging into one single group labelled "default..."

I have a sphere using a lux-area light material and a plane using it's own lux-area light material and Luxrender wants to treat them as if they were a single light for some reason.

If possible I would love to be able to assign different light groups on a per-shader basis.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and the latest Carrara Beta (I think? :red:)

Yeah, Carrara 8.5 Pro build 204 with the latest version of Luxrender standalone as well.

Can you screenshot your light emitting shader settings?

• edited May 2013

Can you screenshot your light emitting shader settings?

Sure, here it is, it is quite possible that I'm goofing up somehow on my end.

I'm just using a simple primitive plane.

Adding another primitive/vertex object/etc., and using a light emitting material doesn't create a new light group, instead they all get grouped under the "default" label.

The shaders aren't consolidated either, they are both individual/different materials.

ShaderSettings.jpg
    723 x 529 - 119K
    edited December 1969

Area Light goes in the Area Light slot.(the last one). The one below Exteiror. :)

edited May 2013

Hi Koukotsu :)

try this shader setting on each of your objects, they should then show up as individual lightgroups.

You can also set the main material to NONE, instead of the "Lux Null"
    then set the Area light option at the bottom of the shader,. with your colour or whatever. :)

areas1.jpg
    954 x 662 - 110K
    area.jpg
    506 x 445 - 40K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

3DRage said it better.

• edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi Koukotsu :)

try this shader setting on each of your objects, they should then show up as individual lightgroups.

You can also set the main material to NONE, instead of the "Lux Null"
    then set the Area light option at the bottom of the shader,. with your colour or whatever. :)

Oh yeah, that did it, thank you so much! :coolgrin:

I would have never figured that out on my own, lol. :red:

edited May 2013

Thanks Spheric :) and Koukotsu,.

good to see you and mulberry :)

It's also important to name objects,. if you have multiple (duplicates) of an object,.
    So that each object can be assigned to a different light group.

You can set different Area light shaders up,. but if you apply them to duplicates which are named the same EG: "Vertex Object"
    then they'll all appear as one Lightgroup called (Vertex Object),. even if they have different area light shaders applied to each duplicate.

give each duplicate a different name in the instance list, and you'll get a lightgroup for each.

areas2.jpg
    1096 x 838 - 224K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on