render issues

Whenever I render some scenes at times i get squares of pixels that are straight red or white, no matter what color they are actually suppose to be. Seems to happen the most on skin and hair(no matter standard or vendor textures). How do i fix this problem?

i render with:

default lights never

custom lights or primitives turned into emmisive materials and made into lights

always iray render(on a gtx1060) all these settings are default atm.

Comments

• Are you talking about fireflies? If so I've never found a reliable way to be rid of them. Sometimes running the render for a very long time will clear them up.

But I can tell you a way to clear them out of a render if you have Photoshop. Use the Dust and Scratches filter with a low pixel value (1-2), and increase the threshold until all the fireflies reappear, then lower it just until they disappear. This usually has minimal effect on the rest of the image and is faster than individually painting them out.

• i dont have photoshop but at the moment but i might try something similar if i can find it in programs i do have thanks.

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204

i dont have photoshop but at the moment but i might try something similar if i can find it in programs i do have thanks.

Upload the image. I can try to clean it up for you if you want.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

You can use a denoiser in GIMP, this also gets rid of "graininess" so you catch two for one. And it makes your rendering work much faster since you can stop a rendering when it's just good enough then apply the denoiser. No need to wait for "perfect" convergence.

• i do have gimp ill give the denoiser a try finally got some time to test a few things out now :)

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

These do sound like fireflies, and Iray some built-in mechanisms to avoid/reduce them.

1. First is to allow Iray to finish the render. Avoid the habit of manually canceling the render if other parts look good. The reason is that Iray will apply a built-in firefly filter (but be sure it's on in the parameters panel) toward the end of the render. If you need to reduce the render time, use the other settings available to you, like Max Samples. This is what these settings are for.

2. Avoid overly white highlights or materials. There are some tips available here:

http://irayrender.com/fileadmin/filemount/editor/PDF/iray_Performance_Tips_100511.pdf

3. Manually alter the Nominal Luminance control. This is set internally based on lighting and other aspects of your scene, but like any automatic function, it may need tweaking. See if this helps.

(If you've turned Tone Mapping off, you'll especially need to adjust the Nominal Luminance, as it's the tone mapping settings that help set this value inside Iray. When tone mapping is off, Iray is essentially blind, and you need to give it hints on what to do.)