Genesis 8 UV Templates or Seam Guides?

Does anybody know if the seam guides or UV templates for Genesis 8 Female/Male have been released yet and where to find them?  Google didn't come up with anything.

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139

UV templates are in your Product Library - try this: https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_42071

I don't know if SnowSultan has bothered to do seam guides since they are said to be identical to the G3F/M ones?

• [Head smack].... I knew that.  I think I got side-tracked on the seam thing. frown  And not enough coffee... Thanks.

• Yeah, posting questions before having had sufficient caffeine can be a problem.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Thanks so Much  MelanieL!

MelanieL said:

UV templates are in your Product Library - try this: https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_42071

I don't know if SnowSultan has bothered to do seam guides since they are said to be identical to the G3F/M ones?

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

DAZ told me that it would not be necessary for me to make seam guides for Genesis 8 partly because many people are using 3D painting software like 3D Coat and Substance Painter. I hope you're still able to make what you need if you're using Photoshop. Thanks.

• DAZ told me that it would not be necessary for me to make seam guides for Genesis 8 partly because many people are using 3D painting software like 3D Coat and Substance Painter. I hope you're still able to make what you need if you're using Photoshop. Thanks.

They're the same as for Genesis 3, so if you made seam guides for those, you already have them.

• Hello all, sorry for the necro-posting, but I'm struggling to find a way of working on skin textures templates, since the limits between zones are not blending together.

Let me explain my issue ; I'm currently working on heavily textured skin maps, with apparent veins, folds, scars, and so on. I can figure out how the seams and polys are connecting, but cannot find an easy way to work on blending seams, and especially getting all details correctly aligned and seamlessly continued from one part to the other.

For example, how to draw veins and scars from the torso map to legs map without visual misalignement ? Since templates borders arent the same shape, I cannot simply warp borders in photoshop to make them connect, without having big troubles when I will "split" maps again. Or it would require far more work than I can afford...

The solution should be to directly paint textures on the 3D model, but as far as I know, only softwares like Zbrush are able to do that ? Not to mention the fact I don't master this tool yet, I also prefer working in a 2D space with PS if able.

Is there any affordable tool/software to do the "connect-split" job on 2D workspace ?

Basically, what are using modelers around here to paint those skins ?

Thanks for your kind help ! ;)

Substance Painter should be able to do what you need.

• bbaluchonbbaluchon Posts: 34
    edited August 2018

Thanks for the advice, I tested Substance Painter, but it's not capable (yet ?) of painting over seams directly ; you can only paint over the selected UV set. After testing, it's very good for game assets (which often get only one UV set for the whole model), and complex models with various parts / materials.

Substance Painter seems not very ergonomic to work on the skin of "naked" creatures, at least when there is more than one UV set for the whole skin, like DAZ models.

After more torough research, I think I found the perfect software for seamless skinning/texturing/modeling, with 3D Coat ; seamless painting across UV sets (wich was the main feature I looked for), morphing abilities (perfect for DAZ assets), and even a full sculpting module, wich looks as powerful as Zbrush (with far more ergonomy), for less than half the price... And icing on the cake, integrated export handling for 3D-printing...

Post edited by bbaluchon on

Ah sorry, I haven't used Substance Painter in about a year and a half and I thought you could paint across seams in it's 2D mode. I think Photoshop can actually do it if I remember my tests, but it's a royal pain in the neck to get a model set up properly in it for accurate painting. Hope 3D Coat works for you!

• E-ArkhamE-Arkham Posts: 733

Substance Painter paints across seams on the same UV tile fine, but as you've noted it can NOT paint across seams when they're on multiple UV sets.  From the dev's responses, I'm not sure this is something they're able to fix since it requires some deep down architectural changes to how the program works.  I'm still hopeful.

Mudbox is capable of painting across seams on UV tiles, and IMO is a generally quite good sculpting and painting program.  The subscription is around $10-$15 a month or $100 a year, but I consider it well worth it.

ZBrush can do this as well, and tons more, but is significantly more expensive and the UI is fairly cumbersome.  I don't use this, so I'll defer further opinions to others.

Beware on 3D Coat -- if you buy the regular version, you can not export 4096x4096, which is the min size I would consider for character maps.  It can paint across seams on multiple UVs, but you'll have to upgrade to the more expensive version to get access to greater than 2048x2048 exports.  The UI also takes some getting used to, but it does some things that Mudbox can't do, like voxel sculpting and cutting away portions of a mesh.  The retopology tools are actually pretty good, too.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

How much is that?  I assume it is not free.  I am guessing it is either expensive or on a subscription base model or both.

It looks to be $149 for a standalone version with 12 months of free updates, or $19 a month with updates whenever they come. I've both seen and gotten very good results using it, but like Arkham said, it doesn't paint across different seam templates.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

How much is that?  I assume it is not free.  I am guessing it is either expensive or on a subscription base model or both.

It's a subscription model that winds up costing about $250 to have a perpetual license when the contract is done. I think you can buy it as a perpetual license outright for $220.

• I just wanted to say that not everybody uses those other programs, I am really used to just working in PSP or photoshop, I am not too keen to use another program so if you do find yourself wanting to make seam guides in the future there is at least one person (and I would guess more) who still want them. I would also like to say thank you for all the past ones, I have found them super useful!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited February 2019

I believe 3D Coat will paint across seams. It has a cheaper, personal version.

https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21964-how-do-i-paint-across-multiple-uv-tiles/

Edit: Sorry, you already discovered that, didn't you? LOL :P

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • TsubaTsuba Posts: 78
    edited August 2021

Nevermind I found it. (deletable post)

Post edited by Tsuba on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,562

Tsuba said:

Nevermind I found it. (deletable post)

It's considered good manners that if you have an issue or problem and find a solution to also post the solution in case others might have the same issue. It also makes others more inclined to help if you have another issue down the road, just saying.