Are there any 'How to model props in DS3' tutorials?

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited June 2012 in The Commons

I think I remember seeing once that it's possible to model props using primitives, but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw that.

Is there a tutorial somewhere on this?

Post edited by WillowRaven on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553
    edited December 1969

Basically add primitives, shape them with the x,y,z sliders and join together. Still much better to use an actual modelling program.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited June 2012

Basically add primitives, shape them with the x,y,z sliders and join together. Still much better to use an actual modelling program.

Yes, but that actually requires learning a new program ... lol. Now you see why I have a thread where I offer to pay modelers to make stuff for me ... lol.

Thanks. I'll probably leave it to those which much more patience than I have ... lol.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,358
    edited December 1969

The only problem with that is it can get very expensive.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    The only problem with that is it can get very expensive.

It could, but although I offer to buy everything I ask for, so far, only one person has ever taken me up on the offer of payment. Everything else that has been made for me has been offered to all as a freebie.

But I always offer to pay because I am getting paid to to create the finished cover art or illustration, so it's only fair I be willing to pay as well.

Make sense?

I'm sure at some point I'll learn the Hexagon program that I downloaded during Daz's 'free software frenzy', but I'm always so busy with commissioned projects, I just don't have the time.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Out of interest do you know what the average hourly rate is for a modeler? I have heard some say it is around £200 an hour which can get very expensive for a complex model. Plus it does take hours to make a simple textured model/prop. So in some cases the cost can be more than the commisioned work you get paid for.

edited December 1969

Really it all depends on the complexity of the model. It can be expensive because when you pay someone to due it they are taking time out of their normal production schedule and you will hold the copyright to the finished product, so they won't be able to recoup the time spent by selling the product on a brokerage.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Out of interest do you know what the average hourly rate is for a modeler? I have heard some say it is around £200 an hour which can get very expensive for a complex model. Plus it does take hours to make a simple textured model/prop. So in some cases the cost can be more than the commisioned work you get paid for.

$300 per hour? Wow ... I bet most modelers who are donating my props have not heard that ... lol.

Depending on what I needed done, it's still less than what I make for a book cover and certainly for a picture book illustration. So I am glad so many offer to make my request for practice, but if I really needed something that the nice folks in the forum are not able to make for free, I am still willing to pay for it.

The low end of the book cover scale is around $1000.00, and the norm for a large PH is $3000.00. More if you're a bestselling artist. So you see why I am willing to pay.

edited December 1969

$300 an hour is a bit to high in my opinion. But as I said it depends on the complexity of the project. It it's something that would only take an hour or two, most would be will to donate it.

edited June 2012

Frank0314 said:
    Really it all depends on the complexity of the model. It can be expensive because when you pay someone to due it they are taking time out of their normal production schedule and you will hold the copyright to the finished product, so they won't be able to recoup the time spent by selling the product on a brokerage.

Question, why would I hold the copyright?

According to copyright law, the creator of the art work is owner of said work, even if it is commissioned, unless the rights to the work were negotiated for purchase as well and that is is contractually stated as such.

Anything I ask for, whether it was offered free to me or in trade for payment, any of those modelers are free to re-sell it as they wish.

edited June 2012

When somebody pays you to do it they own the copyright to it unless terms are reached otherwise. If DAZ buys a product from me I sign over the copyright. If I sell a product on DAZ then I sill own the copyright. If you sell to a business or a single individual and can be stipulated that they hold the copyright. It mostly depends on what the buyer wants.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    When somebody pays you to do it they own the copyright to it unless terms are reached otherwise. If DAZ buys a product from me I sign over the copyright. If I sell a product on DAZ then I sill own the copyright. If you sell to a business or a single individual and can be stipulated that they hold the copyright. It mostly depends on what the buyer wants.

Not according to my experience with copyright law. Unless the agreement expressly states they are buying the right to the work as a work-for-hire, and not just paying to have it commissioned for right to use, it is owned by the creator.

For example, in publishing, you see a lot of books that are re-published with a new cover, especially by large houses. The main reason is not to trick us readers into buying the latest Stephen King book that we have forgotten we already bought and read with an older cover, although I'm sure they don't mind that ... lol. It's because what they are paying for is for the artist to create an original work to their specifications for their right to use for X amount of time or X amount of copies.

When a new print run needs done, if the art contract doesn't allow for use beyond what initially agreed to, then the publisher either has to re-negotiate the new fee, which almost as much as the original fee, or hire a new artist.

There is a great explanation that translates all of the legal wording but still makes it fairly clear: http://www.ivanhoffman.com/own.html

Basically, if the contract does not specify work for hire, even if you are commissioned to do it, it's it remains property of the artist.

I do not do work-for-hire contracts unless that client is willing to pay or the nose for full rights. I find them unfair to the artist. So if they demand that, they pay handsomely or I don't do it.

So you see why I am both willing to pay for my requests and the modeler still own anything they make for me. Heck, I'll even advertise for them ... lol.

edited December 1969

Yeah. I know what your saying and in most cases it is true. But, you have to sign that right away. If noting is signed then the copyright stays with you. That's really all I was trying to say. Sorry for the mix up. DAZ has a contract like that. That's the only reason I'm familiar with it. I do a large amount of freebies for them and I have to sign over copyright to them.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Yeah. I know what your saying and in most cases it is true. But, you have to sign that right away. If noting is signed then the copyright stays with you. That's really all I was trying to say. Sorry for the mix up. DAZ has a contract like that. That's the only reason I'm familiar with it. I do a large amount of freebies for them and I have to sign over copyright to them.

I understand what you mean. I do have one publisher with that type of contract, but all of my other publishers and indi authors know they only own right-of-use.

I only allow it with the one publisher because They were one of my first publishers and I am a loyal kind of girl ... lol ... so as long as they are good to me, I will not complain. :cheese:

edited December 1969

I typically only allow it when it comes to DAZ products. I'm so busy doing DAZ products that I don't have much time to freelance, but I do enjoy doing them on the occasion.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

LOL I sparked of something there that I found truely enlightening. Nice

I would presume that sort of hourly rate would depend on what part of the industry you work in. I have seen figures like this branded around beofre on other CGI related sites. Plus most freebies, not all granted, are simple meshes with simple textures which for some find it quick and easy to make. But as Frank mentions it all depends what the item is and how complex the mesh is.