The Fabricator

2»

Comments

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

sikeus said:
    gilikshe said:
    An extra use for fabricator. It is not direct, It need some extra bricks. A little refresh for default textures with weaves and others seamless textures.

That looks great! What exactly did you do, if you don't mind sharing?

I separate tiling for texture and weaves. Obviously, I can't be more specific without detailing a PA shader.

Fabricator is a awesome tool, very versatile, truly.

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    sikeus said:
    gilikshe said:
    An extra use for fabricator. It is not direct, It need some extra bricks. A little refresh for default textures with weaves and others seamless textures.

I separate tiling for texture and weaves. Obviously, I can't be more specific without detailing a PA shader.

It does look great. I considered doing the product in Shader Mixer originally so that very separation could be achieved. but the "no preview until render" was a deal breaker for me. The product had to be suitable for a range of users, including beginners, and not being able to see what you're doing would have sucked the fun out of for lots of people, as well as substantially increasing the time needed to retexture an outfit.

If this was fixed, I'd make another version of Fabricator.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    gilikshe said:
    sikeus said:
    gilikshe said:

It does look great. I considered doing the product in Shader Mixer originally so that very separation could be achieved. but the "no preview until render" was a deal breaker for me. The product had to be suitable for a range of users, including beginners, and not being able to see what you're doing would have sucked the fun out of for lots of people, as well as substantially increasing the time needed to retexture an outfit.

Separate tiling would be great, but given the restrictions you pointed out, I think you made the right choice. It would be nice someday to be able to apply a weave to a textured (not tiled) diffuse, so I hope something like that is possible in the future.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Marieah said:
    gilikshe said:
    sikeus said:
    gilikshe said:

Separate tiling would be great, but given the restrictions you pointed out, I think you made the right choice. It would be nice someday to be able to apply a weave to a textured (not tiled) diffuse, so I hope something like that is possible in the future.

Totally the right choice. At the beginning for me "no preview until render" was very frustrating. In some case I didn't understand some results.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    Yes indeed, for the ones with the word "Fabricator" in their name.

The "Weaves" in Fabricator add the 3d effect to make the fabric look real.

The free shaders that mention Fabricator were never intended to be used alone because they contain only diffuse color settings. Look at the Fabricator product page if you want to see how good they can look.

I noticed this when I applied a chainmail texture on the Wolf King-vest, as seen in this render
    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8637962060/sizes/l/in/photostream/).
    You'll see how the edges are distinctively 3D and not 'flat'. It was a first time using Fabricator, and
    I regret not having using it earlier. I admit I'm pretty slow adopting things.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,759
    edited December 1969

Fabricator is definitely one of those tools every DAZ user should have in their arsenal, along with GenX and PoseMaster. Here's one I did for the Lost Treasures contest, using the old SP3 Travaillian and David's cummerbund. You'd never know those were items I picked up back in 2006.

1003_Travalian_nights_SM.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 755K
  • assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What's the difference

The daz store has a fabric texture program....1 Fabricator, 2 Silkessence, 3 The LaceMaker & 4 Ye Olde Clothe

Are 2-4 like add-ons to Fabricator...or are they off they themselves?

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited April 2013

What's the difference

The daz store has a fabric texture program....1 Fabricator, 2 Silkessence, 3 The LaceMaker & 4 Ye Olde Clothe

Are 2-4 like add-ons to Fabricator...or are they off they themselves?

These are all standalone programs and all are created by me. They install within the Fabricator folder because the tiling within them makes them usable with Fabricator weaves, should the user wish to do so. But they have their own weaves. It is only the freebies that need Fabricator to look right. These secrets are actually revealed in the product descriptions. :-)

The one that works exactly the same way as Fabricator is MachPack, which you didn't mention.

There is also Totally Bazaar, which is standalone, like Ye Olde Clothe.

Here are some examples where LaceMaker, just at it's default settings and user-diffuse, has been used to retexture the Flora Lace Dress for Genesis.

lace4.jpg
    600 x 780 - 267K
    lace3.jpg
    572 x 576 - 390K
    lace.jpg
    600 x 780 - 365K
    Post edited by Marieah on
    edited December 1969

Where can I find free texture for them?

Someone said there are free ones on Share CG...but I couldn't find them.

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited April 2013
    Post edited by willowfan on
    edited December 1969

Oh, I was looking under textures

How do you make your own shaders? It just seems neat that you can use all those free textures from over the net and use them in the add-on program thingy

edited December 1969

Oh cool, thanks...I can use it...whenever I finally get the software

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Where can I find free texture for them?

Someone said there are free ones on Share CG...but I couldn't find them.

Try this thread and you will have more than you can imagine :)

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=179014

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so one can create new textures to use with it?

Check my ShareCg freebies and you'll find a tutuorial that teaches you exactly how to do just that. You can also grab the free sets other people made using the tutorial.

Is there any way to add fabrics to the Poser version? I have a bunch of tiles that I downloaded when I used DS and Fabricator DS and I'd love to be able to add them to the kit.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...something else to remember you can also adjust the tiling size. This is how I made Leela's 'Fluterby" ensemble with the Mall Girl Top, Shorts, Tights, and Rave Shoes with a Denim shader for the shorts and one of Heatherlee's free texture tiles employing different tile sizes and offsets.

KerWar's Funky Textures (also a freebie) also has a quick click tiling utility wiht severla different sizes.

Leela_cute_2.jpg
    650 x 919 - 96K
  • ghaylin_047405afe7ghaylin_047405afe7 Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

I am still a bit lost on this. I got the fabricator and the Sharecg manual, but being new to everything the first part seemed kind of thin on explaining how to get the fabric on to the sphere.

I know to go to the surface editor, but after that I don't know which dial to choose to add the fabric (to make my own by the way) and will it show on the ball before rendering or after?

If someone could help with this I would appreciate it.

edited December 1969

1) Select your object in the Scene tab. You mentioned a sphere, so that is what I used in this example.
    2) Go to the Surfaces tab, click on the word Editor then select your sphere in the list
    3) Go to the content Library tab. Expand the Products section. Scroll to F and expand it. Find The Fabricator product in the list. Double click on one of the fabrics. I used Ethnic5. I may have fabrics you do not have, because I have installed several additional products. You will see the fabric on the sphere in the viewport now.
    4) (optional) Double click on one of the weaves. I used Fine Jersey. You will not see the effect of the weave until you render.
    5) Render and see your fabric with weave. The weave may not be visible from a long distance, just as with real fabric. If you are looking at it across the room, you won't notice the weave in someone's shirt.

5-render.JPG
    667 x 738 - 150K
    4-Weave.JPG
    1071 x 945 - 194K
    3-Fabric.JPG
    1064 x 944 - 192K
    2-select_surface.JPG
    418 x 351 - 31K
    1-select.JPG
    283 x 156 - 14K
    edited December 1969

If you have a JPEG image file of a fabric you want to use, the easiest way might be to first apply one of the fabricator fabrics and weaves and then change the image in the diffuse channel of the sphere in the Surfaces Tab Editor. Your JPEG fabric needs to be a tiled pattern, designed to be seamlessly repeating pattern when tiled across the sphere.

Maybe someone else has a better method to recommend.

6-own_fabric.JPG
    605 x 616 - 71K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Disisme said:
    I am still a bit lost on this. I got the fabricator and the Sharecg manual, but being new to everything the first part seemed kind of thin on explaining how to get the fabric on to the sphere.

I know to go to the surface editor, but after that I don't know which dial to choose to add the fabric (to make my own by the way) and will it show on the ball before rendering or after?

If someone could help with this I would appreciate it.

I usually take and #1 Make a folder in the Texture folder ,Name it whatever you want and put your textures in it(jpg's) ,then inside DAZ Studio , you have a Sphere,click on it in the scene tab ,then in the surface tab click on diffuse and browse to you new made folder ,and click on the first texture ,it'll show up on your sphere,then I usually go to General and change it to matte ,then click on tiling and set it ,both vertical and horizontal ,back up to the top of the surface tab and just double check to make sure you are still clicked on the sphere, do the same for the scene tab. Now go up to File , click on it and chose Shader Preset , when the next little window pops up scroll down and make sure to check the diffused,tile and general ,and press okay.Then it will want to know where you want to put it or it'll stick it where it wants ......personally I prefer to tell it where to go ,and I have a folder in Fabricator ,where I put the shader presets that I make ....then you name it or number it whatever you choose and it's time to go to the next texture .......
    and yes it will show on the ball before and after rendering .

• ghaylin_047405afe7ghaylin_047405afe7 Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

I appreciate the help, and I followed your instructions step by step, but got the same results.

I am obviously doing something wrong because no matter what I do nothing shows up on the ball until I render it, then if I go back to make adjustments everything disappers. So...

I make a primative sphere using 1cm and set verticle and horizontal tiles to 10. Opened Fabricator under surface presets and in the Content Library window. Double clicked on a weave, nothing shows up. Same on a fabric nothing again. Started again with a new spere from the create a new primative, tried the same through the Content Library window nothing on the ball.

Now if I render it the fabric shows up on the ball and it wants me to save the render. Did that, but when I go back to the surface tab everything is cleared and gone? I know it must be something I am doing because I am new to all of this, From what I have said is there something I am doing wrong. Also if I try to save it as a shader preset after rendering, it only allows me to save if in .duf format. Again it must be something I am doing wrong.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2013

Okay you are using which DAZ Studio ? 4 or 4.5??

Wait a minute explain opened Fabricator under surface presets .......

Post edited by carrie58 on
    edited December 1969

Make sure you have Texture Shaded selected.

texture_shaded.JPG
    308 x 348 - 26K
    edited December 1969

Disisme said:
    I appreciate the help, and I followed your instructions step by step, but got the same results.

I am obviously doing something wrong because no matter what I do nothing shows up on the ball until I render it, then if I go back to make adjustments everything disappers. So...

I make a primative sphere using 1cm and set verticle and horizontal tiles to 10. Opened Fabricator under surface presets and in the Content Library window. Double clicked on a weave, nothing shows up. Same on a fabric nothing again. Started again with a new spere from the create a new primative, tried the same through the Content Library window nothing on the ball.

Now if I render it the fabric shows up on the ball and it wants me to save the render. Did that, but when I go back to the surface tab everything is cleared and gone? I know it must be something I am doing because I am new to all of this, From what I have said is there something I am doing wrong. Also if I try to save it as a shader preset after rendering, it only allows me to save if in .duf format. Again it must be something I am doing wrong.

The problem is DS4 natural behavior. Some shader results can't be viewed until you render. Worst: tiles sizes in preview doesn't match with parameters of shader or render. You need adjust parameters in surface tab, render, adjust, render... and so until achieve the expect results.