October 2017 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge: Atmosphere

Comments

• ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    ricswika said:

I hope this shows up, it looks good on my monitor. Night scenes are so hard to judge. Someone please let me know if it appers too light or dark for night. The only thing I might do is add some rim lighting off to one side for a bit more definition.

Title: Rat Monster

Made With: Daz Studio, Iray - No Postwork

Uses: Creepy Forest, 3 Raven Place, Monster Rat, Millinium Cat, Super Bat, Grave Yard, Atmocam

Looks great on my monitor! Love the colors and the fog..maybe add some around the rat? He sticks out by being more sharp than the other figures/structures. Unless that is the idea? Love the fog. Is that a prop?

Thanks for the feedback.

The fog was done using atmocam. It uses a huge sphere filled with volumetric fog parented to the camera. The camera has to be outside of the sphere. The deeper into the sphere, the more fog you ae looking through. That is why the monster rat is clearer, plus that is where I focused the camera. I wanted the rat to be hiding in the bush, but I think it is a lttle too busy there and he is a too much inside the bush. I'll do a few tweaks and repost.

The smoke coming out of the two chimneys is also a prop. The smoke didn't show up at all when I made it black. I don't like it white like that, so that part needs some more work.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    ricswika said:

I hope this shows up, it looks good on my monitor. Night scenes are so hard to judge. Someone please let me know if it appers too light or dark for night. The only thing I might do is add some rim lighting off to one side for a bit more definition.

Title: Rat Monster

Made With: Daz Studio, Iray - No Postwork

Uses: Creepy Forest, 3 Raven Place, Monster Rat, Millinium Cat, Super Bat, Grave Yard, Atmocam

Must agree with the others, the atmosphere looks great and I like all the little details you added. (skull, bats, gravestone)

It's a nice touch that the cat has see the rat. Maybe the rat should look to her too. (I know, you will keep her glowing eyes in the scene. ;) )

So there is not much left to criticise. If you want test other perspectives, you could try to change the camera angle and bring the two protagonists more in the Line of Third, but that's only a suggestion.

edited October 2017
    sueya said:

I have taken your feedback into account and hopefully improved the pose of the girl to make her look more natural. I have also brought the camera closer to the subject.

I like what you have done, but to me the face appears too much in shadow. Maybe try one of the three point character lighting rigs that come with Daz. You will typically have a key light, a fill light and a rim light in the rig, so you will get decent lighting without a lot of work. You should be able to just adjust the intensies to get the dramatic look I think you are after.

As far as the pose, it appears somewhat unnatural. The feet are not on the ground and the hands not on the legs. No one sits like that. Mabye see if you can make her look really relaxed and in a more realistic position.

It looks too much like a set with no background visible. Adding some kind of backdrop would add presence to the scene and give the light something to bounce off of to provide more luminance.

Just my 2 cents.

Post edited by ricswika on
  • jenniferhugheyjenniferhughey Posts: 404
    edited October 2017

This is my first night piece, not sure about the light levels..

Title: Mother of Dragons

Used:

Iradiance night HDRI maps

Ron's angel and steam brushes

Specular light for eyes

Post work to add a bit of light (is that ok if this is an atmosphere contest? If not, I'll resubmit) and painted effect..

Josie_danerys_light..jpg
    2400 x 3000 - 533K
    Post edited by jenniferhughey on

Used:

Specular light for eyes

Post work to add a bit of light (is that ok if this is an atmosphere contest? If not, I'll resubmit) and painted effect..

I like it. The light levels do look compressed. You can see just how much by loading the image into photoshop or gimp and taking a look at the levels dialog. You'll see a graph showing where most of your pixel values ended up. Its not good if they are all clustered in one spot. That would mean you aren't using the full dynamic range from light to dark that you have available. You can adust it right there, but it would better if you turned up your lighting so the render comes out without needing any adjustment. If you are using Iray, I have found it works best with a lot of illumination from multiple sources.

Used:

Specular light for eyes

I like this painting style. That's something I can't do, because I only master the basic knowledge in my painting program.

The one thing that I find not so good, is her position with this posing. First I thought she stands, but now I'm pretty sure, that she sit.  ( correct?)

If that's so, its a little hard to recognize in her momentan position.

• daybird said:

I like this painting style. That's something I can't do, because I only master the basic knowledge in my painting program.

The one thing that I find not so good, is her position with this posing. First I thought she stands, but now I'm pretty sure, that she sit.  ( correct?)

If that's so, its a little hard to recognize in her momentan position.

I think it's that the vignette made the pic so dark at the bottom, she's sitting and leaning back. Maybe after I fix the light a tad, it'll be better. thanks for weighing in!

• ricswika said:

.I like it. The light levels do look compressed. You can see just how much by loading the image into photoshop or gimp and taking a look at the levels dialog. You'll see a graph showing where most of your pixel values ended up. Its not good if they are all clustered in one spot. That would mean you aren't using the full dynamic range from light to dark that you have available. You can adust it right there, but it would better if you turned up your lighting so the render comes out without needing any adjustment. If you are using Iray, I have found it works best with a lot of illumination from multiple sources.

Thank you..I tried adjusting in PS but I think I need to go back to rerender and start over with adding a bit more light like you said, maybe something blue that lights her up a bit more. It's supposed to be a dark night with moonlight on her. but still too dark. Thinking maybe my vignette darkened the pic up a bit too much too.

Josie_danerys_light_raw.jpg
    2400 x 3000 - 610K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited October 2017
    Linwelly said:

Ok here is what I have done. I don't know why ground doesn't show shadow. I tried everything, I have distant light with shadow turned on and it works on character but not on the ground. I have used this:

https://www.daz3d.com/gis-terminal-lights

https://www.daz3d.com/ground-shaders-for-daz-studio

and I tried turning lights and skydome off but it seems it is not the problem it might be in textures but I am not sure and don't know how to fix it.

Milos are you using Iray or 3dl for rendering. It looks like you used Iray with an HDRI environment but didn't put the "render ground " to on

No I am rendering with 3Delight and I have no idea what to do. I have checked all parameters at render setting and also that skydome prop. There are many lights there but I can't find how to turn on shadows on the ground :/. I am not using HDRI, I have only skydome from https://www.daz3d.com/gis-terminal-lights with some lights inside of it :)

Save

Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • ricswika said:
    ricswika said:
    =Looks great on my monitor! Love the colors and the fog..maybe add some around the rat? He sticks out by being more sharp than the other figures/structures. Unless that is the idea? Love the fog. Is that a prop?

Thanks for the feedback.

The fog was done using atmocam. It uses a huge sphere filled with volumetric fog parented to the camera. The camera has to be outside of the sphere. The deeper into the sphere, the more fog you ae looking through. That is why the monster rat is clearer, plus that is where I focused the camera. I wanted the rat to be hiding in the bush, but I think it is a lttle too busy there and he is a too much inside the bush. I'll do a few tweaks and repost.

The smoke coming out of the two chimneys is also a prop. The smoke didn't show up at all when I made it black. I don't like it white like that, so that part needs some more work.

That's awesome, I had seen Marshians work but hadn't noticed atmocam, that's really cool, and it gave great results in your render. Love it!

• ricswika said:
    sueya said:

As far as the pose, it appears somewhat unnatural. The feet are not on the ground and the hands not on the legs. No one sits like that. Mabye see if you can make her look really relaxed and in a more realistic position.

It looks too much like a set with no background visible. Adding some kind of backdrop would add presence to the scene and give the light something to bounce off of to provide more luminance.

I agree with the pose, maybe unbend her elbows a tad just to get the hands to rest on her thighs. She could be short like me, where feet don't touch the ground though ;-)

I like the setting, but maybe it'd look more natural if the raised area the bench is on is "sunk" into the ground a bit more? If its not raised, i think it would look a bit more natural, and also make it look cohesive.

But I like what you've done so far!! Very autumn-y feeling.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    Linwelly said:

Ok here is what I have done. I don't know why ground doesn't show shadow. I tried everything, I have distant light with shadow turned on and it works on character but not on the ground. I have used this:

and I tried turning lights and skydome off but it seems it is not the problem it might be in textures but I am not sure and don't know how to fix it.

Milos are you using Iray or 3dl for rendering. It looks like you used Iray with an HDRI environment but didn't put the "render ground " to on

No I am rendering with 3Delight and I have no idea what to do. I have checked all parameters at render setting and also that skydome prop. There are many lights there but I can't find how to turn on shadows on the ground :/. I am not using HDRI, I have only skydome from https://www.daz3d.com/gis-terminal-lights with some lights inside of it :)

Save

I have looked into the light set you used ( lucky that I have them) and I guess you used the sunset01 setting? My character does cast a shadow, so its not withing the light sets themselves.

there are two things that you can still look up. First, did you maybe deleted the sun light ( or shut down the eye)? As there is very little directional light in your scene I could Imagine that or you turned off the shadows in the light settings of the sun. As well try to take away that building ( move to some other place) for a test and see if that changes something, the building seems to cast a bit of shadow in diretion of your character.

You can as well try to remove all the skydome with its lights and load again.

Lastly (which is very unlikely) look into the parameter settings of your character and the dragon, look for display and the uppermost in the list will be cast shadows, that should be on, but that would mean you somehow managed top turn that to off for most everything in your scene.

hope that helps!

edited October 2017
    Linwelly said:

Save

Sometimes it helps to turn all the lights off and then on one at a time just to see what each one is contributing. With everything turned off it should be totally black. This includes the environment which can also provide illumination. But be careful, there is a setting that will add a headlamp to the camera when there are no other lights in the scene. It is in Environment under render settings. Also you can turn off scene lights and only use dome, or both, or a simulated sun. I know it is confusing at first. You can turn the resolution way down and put the render mode on interactive (for Iray) to make it more responsive.

Post edited by ricswika on
  • Was hit by an idea this evening for a side render that I have running at this time.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited October 2017

And here's that side render I mentioned.

edit: i've got version e of my main render about ready to run while i get some rest.

oct2017-2a.png
    1092 x 872 - 1M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on

edit: i've got version e of my main render about ready to run while i get some rest.

Mhh ok, I see a backmirror who shows nothing of interest. ;)

The idea is not bad, but you should put somthing for the eyes in the mirror.

• And here's that side render I mentioned.

daybird said:

That's what I'm thinking, but I've no idea at this time what to have reflected in the mirror though, I should have been sleeping when the idea hit and wouldn't let go.

• Here's version e of my main render for this month. Changed the skin of the guy in the back and his ears, added some sparking wires to try and make him a bit more visable, and gave 'Hurcda' some glowing eyes so he has some crome, but not any that's visable on the outside.

oct2017e.png
    1092 x 872 - 1M
  • Trying to fix my lighting before I go thru adding some fog/sky stars, and clouds in postwork. Not sure if I'm simulating night well or not? Trying to get a moonlight night feel, not sure on the colors? Not a render, just a snip.

danerys.JPG
    1414 x 1277 - 453K
  • jenniferhugheyjenniferhughey Posts: 404
    edited October 2017
    daybird said:

That's what I'm thinking, but I've no idea at this time what to have reflected in the mirror though, I should have been sleeping when the idea hit and wouldn't let go.

depending on what genre of render you want, a robot? A dinosaur? I get a "Jurassic park" vibe from this render :-)

Post edited by jenniferhughey on
  • daybird said:

depending on what genre of render you want, a robot? A dinosaur? I get a "Jurassic park" vibe from this render :-)

A cyber-raptor maybe? I have version b rendering at this time. I didn't think about Jurassic Park at the time of render because like I said I should have been sleeping. And I know excactly what sceen your talking about, the T-rex chase when Moldoon glaced in the sideview and it said "Objects in mirror are closer then they appear" and all he sees it Rexie's jaws.

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    edited October 2017

A lighting Test.

Not so dark as the previous one. The DoF is smth I will change in future renders, to show the "Dragonchaser". But for now, I think that shows what I have in mind.

Contest_Atmosphere.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by HighElf on
  •  I've no idea at this time what to have reflected in the mirror though, I should have been sleeping when the idea hit and wouldn't let go.

A cyber-raptor maybe? I have version b rendering at this time. I didn't think about Jurassic Park at the time of render because like I said I should have been sleeping. And I know excactly what sceen your talking about, the T-rex chase when Moldoon glaced in the sideview and it said "Objects in mirror are closer then they appear" and all he sees it Rexie's jaws.

OOH, if there is some such thing, that would be perfect!! A cyber raptor! And yep "Objects are closer than they appear :-)"

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Here is my latest version

I tried to follow some advice. I added a light behind her head and changed the pose. I cannot move the platform which the bench is on. It is part of the scene.

Girlonbenchv4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 148K
  • sueya said:

Here is my latest version

I tried to follow some advice. I added a light behind her head and changed the pose. I cannot move the platform which the bench is on. It is part of the scene.

The light helped a bunch, she's standing out just slightly from the background :-)

Usually you can move some elements in a scene, did you click on the down arrow next to the item name, it shows each item in that group. If not, no biggie..looking good!

• Ok, so I tried to make her pose more evident, got rid of the vignette. Can you tell shes sitting leaning back now?

Minimal postwork, added some glimmers of light, and the fog rising behind her. Also used a blur to make her look less angular. Any better?

Josie_danerysnew2.jpg
    2400 x 3000 - 1M
  •  I've no idea at this time what to have reflected in the mirror though, I should have been sleeping when the idea hit and wouldn't let go.

OOH, if there is some such thing, that would be perfect!! A cyber raptor! And yep "Objects are closer than they appear :-)"

Ment to post this earlier, but I've got the cyber-raptor reflecting in the mirror, however I'm not sure about how to go about doing the text part.

oct2017-2b.png
    1092 x 872 - 1M
  •  

Ment to post this earlier, but I've got the cyber-raptor reflecting in the mirror, however I'm not sure about how to go about doing the text part.

if you have Photoshop you could do it in post work as a text layer, or Gimp is free..way cool, it adds a bunch of interest to the pic now!

•  

if you have Photoshop you could do it in post work as a text layer, or Gimp is free..way cool, it adds a bunch of interest to the pic now!

Used Photoshop to create a transparancy map to add the text using a geoshell. Version c is rendering right now.

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Ok, so I tried to make her pose more evident, got rid of the vignette. Can you tell shes sitting leaning back now?

Minimal postwork, added some glimmers of light, and the fog rising behind her. Also used a blur to make her look less angular. Any better?

Much better! The lighting looks good, too - not quite moonlight, but close. The one thing I'd say is that she seems perched on the very edge of the step rather than sitting on it and leaning back. Also - and this is mostly because of my poor eyesight - the crack in the stone right by her arm is distracting. Maybe sliding her back or to the side a little - without changing her pose - might help?