3D Printing

Is it possible to print off a character I design in Daz studio on a 3d printer so I can have a small real world figure to create with further?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited September 2017

Yes, but only for your personal use - if you want to go beyond that please open a Sales Support ticket.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Is there any information on how to do it please?

from my searches it seems it was not a straightforward process so I wonder if that has changed ?

• ArtisanSArtisanS Posts: 209

No that has not changed.......since IMHE (Experience) 3D printing is only straight forward when printing a basic cube. All else needs to be adressed with some care (or some higher end printing machine). For instance hair on the 3D figures is always a problem that has to be adressed since hair is noting but sheet material and a sheet has only 2 dimensions.....bit difficult to print in 3D, so the hair has to be manually edited in order to fill holes and make the structure of the model watertight (aka manifold). Same goes for eyes and mouth, since both are in fact seperate meshes (for 3 there is a script that closes these).....and clothes are sheets as well.....so extensive remeshing and editing is needed to prepare a model for 3d print. It almost faster to create a model from scratch using programs like ZBrush or Blender but that depends on your modelling skilss of course :-).

But there are newer techniques on the horizon that could simplify matters drasticly, like voxelising engines, that translate any model in Minecraft like designs (but with a high resolution :-) in order to print them, but since I do not print 3D anymore (boring after a while and commercially only viable if you are in the business of loosing money, IMHE auwch), I have only looked in that matter from the sideline.

Greets, ArtisanS

• ReemAjReemAj Posts: 4

If you’re looking to professionally 3D print your Daz3D 3D model, we just launched a plugin that will ensure your model is fully repaired and professionally 3D printed and hand-painted. Here is the link: https://www.daz3d.com/gameprint-3d-print-plugin

• So can these characters that are printed through you be resold? How much are the figures after you pay for the appp?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

So can these characters that are printed through you be resold? How much are the figures after you pay for the appp?

No, EULA still applies even when printing using their service, so non-commercial use only. Apparently Daz is working on a 3D print commercial license.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

So can these characters that are printed through you be resold? How much are the figures after you pay for the appp?

There's a thread over at Commons that explains things and gives up-to-date information from the guys that run the company: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/206201/3d-printing-plugin-for-daz-studio-gameprint-commercial#latest

Prints are currently between 250$ and 99$; you get a 10% discount and currently still free shipping, if you order quickly. Be aware that you'll have to pay VAT on top of the price.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

If interested in going from DAZ to 3D-Prints you should check out "MeshLab" software and "Open 3D Model Viewer".

http://www.open3mod.com/

http://www.meshlab.net/

• great discussion !!! kindly help me out which 3d printer is  best of personal use. 

Thanks  :-)

• Will daz clothes 3d print, if not how do you fix it

• davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    edited November 2020

Is there any information on how to do it please?

great discussion !!! kindly help me out which 3d printer is  best of personal use. 

Will daz clothes 3d print, if not how do you fix it

not without a lot of supports. you have to scrape off supports after you print it. And supports always leave a bad mark  on the print.

heres a test print of a DAZ character I did, using the 3d Solutech skin filament.

Capture.JPG
    425 x 596 - 30K
    Post edited by davidtriune on
  • Is there any information on how to do it please?

great discussion !!! kindly help me out which 3d printer is  best of personal use. 

not without a lot of supports. you have to scrape off supports after you print it. And supports always leave a bad mark  on the print. 

However if you get a printer with 2 heads you can use a PVA filament for supports, which dissolves away in water.  

Or you can look into resin printers, which I hear are better for miniatures.

heres a test print of a DAZ character I did, using the 3d Solutech skin filament.

I know abought the supports but will clothing & hair print

• davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    edited May 2020

Is there any information on how to do it please?

However if you get a printer with 2 heads you can use a PVA filament for supports, which dissolves away in water.  

Or you can look into resin printers, which I hear are better for miniatures.

I know abought the supports but will clothing & hair print

clothing is ok. hair will not print well because of the very thin strands. You will need to use a low poly hair like the ones in this promo

https://www.daz3d.com/sculptural-genesis-8-ultra-fun-kit

Post edited by davidtriune on
  • If you print at say 60cm or other ball joint doll sizes you could just use a wig instead of trying to print hair.

I use a creality 10 v2 and its a very good printer very adaptable too.

If you adapt the base model then it is no longer a copy of the original and can be sold, I cant see anyone spending thousands on legal fees to have such a debate infront of a judge only to risk loosing the debate.

• For printing daz3d models you need other apps to thicken the clothes.. for me, i use 3ds max.

For hair, I use Zbrush because daz3d's hair won't print.

Here are the model i made using daz3d.. 27 mm height, using Anycubic Mono SE (DLP 3d printer) and then hand paint it.

20210613_142106.jpg
    1668 x 1668 - 940K